• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Fernwood

Fernwood

Unintended formatting

On 5/26/2018 at 3:37 PM, Shelby said:

Looking for suggestions :)

I have this 5.56 lb Choice beef brisket point that I want to make--maybe just half of it and freeze the other half for later because it's a lot of meat.  

Should I sous vide it and then smoke it?  Time and temp for both?  Should I smoke it first and then sous vide?

Or skip the sous vide and just smoke it?

IMG_4675.jpg.adf5d14b47d32a24f2d707155754a14a.jpg

Forgot to add...I'm going for just a lovely, tender, smoked brisket--like at a great BBQ place.

Should I rub it with just some salt and pepper and let it marinate in that while I decide what to do?

I spent some time on this question when I found a better-than-usual-looking brisket a few weeks ago.  (Most that I see in my supermarket are so lean that I despair of getting an appetizing result, no matter what the approach.)  Leaned on the Serious Eats article, for the most part.  I divided in three pieces and started with 135; after they were pasteurized I put two away.  The texture of the 135 piece was too firm for my taste.  I ended up cooking the others some more at 155 and I much preferred that result.  

[Formatting weirdness apparently due to phone posting—no emphasis intended.]

Fernwood

Fernwood

On 5/26/2018 at 3:37 PM, Shelby said:

Looking for suggestions :)

I have this 5.56 lb Choice beef brisket point that I want to make--maybe just half of it and freeze the other half for later because it's a lot of meat.  

Should I sous vide it and then smoke it?  Time and temp for both?  Should I smoke it first and then sous vide?

Or skip the sous vide and just smoke it?

IMG_4675.jpg.adf5d14b47d32a24f2d707155754a14a.jpg

Forgot to add...I'm going for just a lovely, tender, smoked brisket--like at a great BBQ place.

Should I rub it with just some salt and pepper and let it marinate in that while I decide what to do?

I spent some time on this question when I found a better-than-usual-looking brisket a few weeks ago.  (Most that I see in my supermarket are so lean that I despair of getting an appetizing result, no matter what the approach.)  Leaned on the Serious Eats article, for the most part.  I divided in three pieces and started with 135; after they were pasteurized I put two away.  The texture of the 135 piece was too firm for my taste.  I ended up cooking the others some more at 155 and I much preferred that result.