• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Following a pork loin discussion in the dinner thread I have two thick pork loin chops in the bath, pretending to be roasts.  Thick in this case being 4 cm.  The temperature is 59 Celsius and I am aiming for 2 1/2 hours.  My salt preserved sage in the bags.

I still have not decided if or how to sear the chop roast.

Think I'd not sear unless cosmesis is important. OTOH if you like some chew in your pork then a little sear will provide that. I'd probably put some soy on there pre sear 

Eh, at 59 C it will have enough bite to it. 

gfweb

gfweb

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Following a pork loin discussion in the dinner thread I have two thick pork loin chops in the bath, pretending to be roasts.  Thick in this case being 4 cm.  The temperature is 59 Celsius and I am aiming for 2 1/2 hours.  My salt preserved sage in the bags.

I still have not decided if or how to sear the chop roast.

Think I'd not sear unless cosmesis is important. OTOH if you like some chew in your pork then a little sear will provide that. I'd probably put some soy on there pre sear