• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Clarity

On 8/11/2017 at 11:46 AM, Anna N said:

The best laid plans…

I had planned on sous viding two duck breasts, two porkchops and a sirloin steak.  

When my Joule informed me that the duck breasts were done, I faced the reality of no ice!   No ice, no ice packs, nada.  My icemaker went belly up while I was away on vacation despite that I followed directions and turned it off.  

So I am chilling the breasts as best I can in running water and trust if I put them in the freezer immediately I will escape a horrible death from whatever nasties  might survive my chilling technique. 

The other meats were put into the freezer and will meet their fate  in the sous vide when I solve the ice problem.

If I had room in the freezer I could certainly make ice cubes but I don't. 

Was the sous vide treatment too brief to pasteurize the duck breasts?

Smithy

Smithy

On 8/11/2017 at 11:46 AM, Anna N said:

The best laid plans…

I had planned on sous viding two duck breasts, two porkchops and a sirloin steak.  

When my Joule informed me that the duck breasts were done, I faced the reality of no ice!   No ice, no ice packs, nada.  My icemaker went belly up while I was away on vacation despite that I followed directions and turned it off.  

So I am chilling the breasts as best I can in running water and trust if I put them in the freezer immediately I will escape a horrible death from whatever nasties  might survive my chilling technique. 

The other meats were put into the freezer and will meet their fate  in the sous vide when I solve the ice problem.

If I had room in the freezer I could certainly make ice cubes but I don't. 

Are you concerned that the sous vide treatment didn't pasteurize the duck breasts?