• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Shortened the quote

12 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Chicken breasts (bought without the skin unfortunately; that's all I could find at TJ's at the time). 66C for 2 hours with lemon zest, rosemary and garlic.

They were tender and perfectly cooked throughout, but in an almost too perfect way where the meat didn't really look like real meat to me anymore! :D

I didn't care very much for them on their own, but I repurposed the leftovers to make fresh salad rolls which were terrific (and super fun to make with my 10-year old daughter).

<photos removed to shorten the quote>

Fresh salad rolls with romaine, mint, sous-vide chicken breast, red carrots, radishes

The rolls look like a nice use of that meat, FP.  In my limited experience (so far) with sous vide chicken breasts I've had similar experiences. I very much like the texture, moisture and flavor of that meat for things like chicken salads, but it seems...wrong, somehow...straight up, even though it looks good.  I think the texture may be too tight for my tastes, if that makes any sense.

Smithy

Smithy

12 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Chicken breasts (bought without the skin unfortunately; that's all I could find at TJ's at the time). 66C for 2 hours with lemon zest, rosemary and garlic.

They were tender and perfectly cooked throughout, but in an almost too perfect way where the meat didn't really look like real meat to me anymore! :D

I didn't care very much for them on their own, but I repurposed the leftovers to make fresh salad rolls which were terrific (and super fun to make with my 10-year old daughter).

Sous vide chicken breast

Sous vide chicken breast

32916132620_9b2fd6fc64_b.jpg

Fresh salad rolls with romaine, mint, sous-vide chicken breast, red carrots, radishes

The rolls look like a nice use of that meat, FP.  In my limited experience (so far) with sous vide chicken breasts I've had similar experiences. I very much like the texture, moisture and flavor of that meat for chicken salads, but it seems...wrong, somehow...straight up, even though it looks good.  I think the texture may be too tight for my tastes, if that makes any sense.