• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rub on sous vide?

TdeV

16 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Is it possible to put a rub on a sous vide item?

I'm cooking pig wings here and I'm trying to figure how to finish them. This looks good but would require a rub.

I would have serious cocern that it would stay in place very long in the moist environment. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N, I don't mean to put into the sous vide with the rub on, but to put the rub on when the sous vide is complete. Dry off the meat and roll it in the rub. Then I guess one would need to sauté or broil the meat for less than a minute. Sound reasonable or no?

Edited by TdeV (log)

54 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@Anna N, I don't mean to put into the sous vide with the rub on, but to put the rub on when the sous vide is complete. Dry off the meat and roll it in the rub. Then I guess one would need to sauté or broil the meat for less than a minute. Sound reasonable or no?

OK I don't think you were very clear. I have done baby back ribs using a rub after they came out of the Sous Vide, broiled them and then finished them with a sauce. Seemed to work out reasonably well.  For something that has had a very long cook time I don't see any reason to rush the sear as you would for instance for a steak.   But then I don't know how long you plan to cook them for.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I often rub meats to be slow-cooked before I SV; it serves more as a marinade than anything else. Particularly, I do ribs and pork shoulder, and occasionally pork chops, that way, generally the night before starting them in SV, and letting them sit in the rub  in the fridge. I tend to finish with a wet sauce/glaze instead of a dry rub (that's the Memphis coming out), but you could certainly do either.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

What I'm most curious about is the idea of drying off the sous-vide-cooked item and then putting on a rub. It isn't going to sit in the oven for a couple of hours. Does one cook this "rub" in a dry sauté pan? With a little olive oil? Or does one use a flame and "toast" the spices?

Curious minds want to know. Sorry I wasn't very clear with my questions.

Here is what I did in this case.

In a lot of BBQ, the rub is a flavouring component and the sauce is a finishing component. Think dry marinade. The rub typically doesn't burn in a conventional BBQ because of the humidity in the cooking environment. If you wanted to get a similar effect to BBQ, I'd put on the rub and let the flavours penetrate into the meat overnight, then wash it off and dry the meat before vacuum sealing and cooking it sous vide. Then dry and sear on high heat (deep frying gives excellent results) and then apply a sauce.

Edited by nickrey (log)
  • Like 1

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

On 2/26/2017 at 2:32 PM, TdeV said:

What I'm most curious about is the idea of drying off the sous-vide-cooked item and then putting on a rub. It isn't going to sit in the oven for a couple of hours. Does one cook this "rub" in a dry sauté pan? With a little olive oil? Or does one use a flame and "toast" the spices?

C

yes,

it's not going to be like a BBQ 'rub' that becomes almost a cure, due to the short time frame.

But lots of people 'rub' a steak just before grilling or broiling.

I often do an aggressive rub and sear it on a (towel dried) SV steak.

then cast iron and torch sear.

works 

• Like 1

I use a rub before and after.  I currently have two racks of ribs in the bath.  Both were rubbed before they were cryovac'd.  When they come out, they will be glazed and then get another sprinkling of rub.

Then they will go into a hot oven whose only job is to crisp up the outside and warm them through.  Hot and fast.  On the order of 450 degrees for 15 minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndyRob said:

I use a rub before and after.  I currently have two racks of ribs in the bath.  Both were rubbed before they were cryovac'd.  When they come out, they will be glazed and then get another sprinkling of rub.

What's in the rub, @IndyRob? I just bought some beef short ribs.

Edited by TdeV (log)

when I do skinless Chicken breasts , after removing the two tendons , I lightly sprinkle on either  Pensey's Chicago Steak or  Sauer's Prime Rib Rub on them

they come out fine , 4 hours or so at 140 - 145

they can either be eaten hot as a dinner meal , or chilled and reheated another night , or sliced thin for a fine sandwich.

remember  Im starting w CkBr that are generic and they do not have fantastic chicken flavor.   a little of the two above seasonings , or your favorite

turn them into tasty meals and sandwiches.  $ 1.66 /lbs

I season beef cuts in a similar manner , cook at 130.1 until tender  ( time varies w cut ) and use in a similar manner as above.

the beef cuts i hunt out  ( sirloin tips whole --- flap meat ) only need 6 or so hours to get to be tender.

for 24 - 48 hour cooks its a different story.

Edited by rotuts (log)

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

when I do skinless Chicken breasts , after removing the two tendons , I lightly sprinkle on either  Pensey's Chicago Steak or  Sauer's Prime Rib Rub on them

they come out fine , 4 hours or so at 140 - 145

why so long? I'm curious. Aren't they pasteurized to core in about 1 hr?

I might throw an aromatic or a herb into the bag, but I find dry seasonings work better after, before searing or breading or whatever comes next.

between being washed off in the bag by expressed water, and being unpredictably changed in flavour by the SV process, I find it's not the best choice for me.

I trimmed beef short ribs of fat, put on a Five Spice rub 24 or more hours, washed off the rub, and dried with paper towel. Cooked at 142F for 72 hours. Put under a broiler for 2 min one side, 1 min other (bit too long). Cooked down cooking juices into sauce.

The ribs were easily pull apart and delicious, but the rub was not that noticeable. Served immediately with enoki mushrooms and baked potatoes. No photos of those because I ate them all! As you can see, although I rinsed off the Five Spice, there was still plenty in the reduced sauce.

20170307_193018_HDR_TMH_Sm.thumb.jpg.c4f36db2b14775dc4051d3f2faf9bf42.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TdeV said:

I trimmed beef short ribs of fat, put on a Five Spice rub 24 or more hours, washed off the rub, and dried with paper towel. Cooked at 142F for 72 hours. Put under a broiler for 2 min one side, 1 min other (bit too long). Cooked down cooking juices into sauce.

The ribs were easily pull apart and delicious, but the rub was not that noticeable. Served immediately with enoki mushrooms and baked potatoes. No photos of those because I ate them all! As you can see, although I rinsed off the Five Spice, there was still plenty in the reduced sauce.

20170307_193018_HDR_TMH_Sm.thumb.jpg.c4f36db2b14775dc4051d3f2faf9bf42.jpg

Do you have a Pressure cooker? 72 hours is just ridiculous for short ribs. I have tried sous vide short ribs at various temps and times  and in my honest opinion, you just can't beat 90 minute PC short ribs. One of my favorite recipes is the Coca cola short rib recipe here. https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/pressure-cooker-cola-braised-beef-short-ribs-30305

If you don't like spicy don't add the cayenne pepper. And if you have an electric PC like the instant pot, set it to manual 90 minutes. Trust me, the 30 minutes suggested in the recipe is not enough time to break down short ribs to fall apart succulent sticky in your teeth feel.

@FeChef, I have a pressure cooker which is a duplicate model (though smaller) as one from my childhood (i.e. eons ago). I don't use it much, so really don't have current experience of PC and am not sure how to translate it.

58 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@FeChef, I have a pressure cooker which is a duplicate model (though smaller) as one from my childhood (i.e. eons ago). I don't use it much, so really don't have current experience of PC and am not sure how to translate it.

Is it electric or a stove top PC? I swear by my Instant pot IP-DUO60 so much that i bought a extra that i haven't even opened the box because i got it on sale for $60 prime shipped from amazon. You just can't beat a stainless steel pot.

Generally speaking, the flavor molecules in spice rubs -- apart from salt and sugar -- are too large to penetrate the surface of meat. I've seen debate about whether or not the ionic activity from salt might be able to carry other flavors into the meat with it, but I haven't seen anyone do controlled tests. I used to add spices prior to SV, but don't anymore. They come off, add little in the way of flavor, and you need to reapply after you unbag anyway. And if you're planning on using the bag jus for sauce, they can cause problems.

10 hours ago, FeChef said:

Do you have a Pressure cooker? 72 hours is just ridiculous for short ribs. I have tried sous vide short ribs at various temps and times  and in my honest opinion, you just can't beat 90 minute PC short ribs.

I have tried many kinds of apples and in my honest opinion, you just can't beat oranges. Joking aside, if you're going for pull-apart, braisey short ribs and don't want to wait all day, pressure cooking is the way to go (though I typically go for less time).

72 hour short ribs are rad though. But the time is only worth it though if you go at 130F. You don't really get anything from 72 hours at 142F that you can't get at 147 in 48 hours. 

7 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

SV short ribs are just different than any other method.   I like short ribs  most all ways from Galbi, PC, oven and stove top braised and SV.  They each have their own charm 

Yep!

• Like 1

"""   the time is only worth it though if you go at 130F. You don't really get anything from 72 hours at 142F that you can't get at 147 in 48 hours.   """

I agree.   72 shines @ 131

• Like 1