• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2017 Piglet - Food52 cookbook tournament

blue_dolphin

Anyone else following this year's Piglet, the cookbook "tournament" over on Food52?  

Some of the pairings can get a bit silly, particularly in later rounds.  For example, looking at the brackets, one of the first round pairings is Dorie Greenspan's Cookies against Fuchsia Dunlop's Land of Fish and Rice.  I can't imagine trying to write that review!  

That said, I usually find the reviews (and often the comments) entertaining, even if I don't share the reviewer's perspective.  

• Like 1

On the whole I  find it entertaining but very rarely helpful.  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

On the whole I  find it entertaining but very rarely helpful.  

Ouch!   Having said that I have now added Samarkand to my wish list.   I need to stay busy so I do not wander back over there for a while.  :)

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I was just about to add a new topic about this after reading the first three days of competition.

It is worth a read as well as delving into the comments after the decision.

I agree that some pairings seem odd so it will be interesting to see how the reviewers handle it.

• Like 1

I'm following it. I enjoy it, I admit I enjoy the controversy it creates more than actually gleaning information from it. :D

I, too, thought Deep Run Roots got an unfair rap, but I didn't say anything because I think DH's Simple is my favorite cookbook of 2016 and I was ecstatic she won. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2017 at 1:14 PM, Anna N said:

Ouch!   Having said that I have now added Samarkand to my wish list.   I need to stay busy so I do not wander back over there for a while.  :)

I picked up Samarkand at the library today. I sat down to read it over lunch. I went upstairs and ordered it. Tonight I'll be making one of the recipes (the one the author cited as his favorite). Hey, I'm getting old -- no point wasting time.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

31 minutes ago, Alex said:

I picked up Samarkand at the library today. I sat down to read it over lunch. I went upstairs and ordered it. Tonight I'll be making one of the recipes (the one the author cited as his favorite). Hey, I'm getting old -- no point wasting time.

Unfortunately  there is no Kindle version.  There are physical reasons why Kindle versions are much easier for me to handle so I will have to consider whether I am prepared to put out the effort needed to read it in hardcover.   However this topic turned me back towards my Diana Henry books and I'm still in love with those.

My 2004 eG Blog

14 hours ago, Alex said:

I looked but it isn't in my library system.  I also looked for the chicken with walnut sauce (?) recipe the other day and found things that seemed to be similar, but nothing that said it was from the book.  Like Anna, I would prefer to buy a Kindle version.  Perhaps in time.  I have plenty of books to keep me occupied in the interim.

2 hours ago, rustwood said:

I looked but it isn't in my library system.  I also looked for the chicken with walnut sauce (?) recipe the other day and found things that seemed to be similar, but nothing that said it was from the book.  Like Anna, I would prefer to buy a Kindle version.  Perhaps in time.  I have plenty of books to keep me occupied in the interim.

Does your library's website have a "Recommend a Purchase" feature? Ours is great about following up on recommendations, especially if I provide a URL other than Amazon's in the "Where you heard about this item" box.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'm sure this is very shallow of me, but something that delighted me in the photos that accompanied the Piglet review of Diana Henry's Simple is what appears to be a lovely, old fashioned, sewn-in satin ribbon bookmark.

I swoon for sewn-in ribbon bookmarkers and it makes me want to choose the hardcover version over the Kindle for this one.

I know that Kindle books allow the reader to place all sorts of useful bookmarks and notes but they lack the feel of that smooth, satiny ribbon :x.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'm sure this is very shallow of me, but something that delighted me in the photos that accompanied the Piglet review of Diana Henry's Simple is what appears to be a lovely, old fashioned, sewn-in satin ribbon bookmark.

I swoon for sewn-in ribbon bookmarkers and it makes me want to choose the hardcover version over the Kindle for this one.

I know that Kindle books allow the reader to place all sorts of useful bookmarks and notes but they lack the feel of that smooth, satiny ribbon :x.

Kittens chew it.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Alex said:

Does your library's website have a "Recommend a Purchase" feature?

I don't think I've seen it for physical books, but I can do that when searching the Overdrive books.  As far as I know, none of the ones I've recommended have been purchased.  On the plus side, I recalled that I am eligible to use the library where I work and they do have it.  It is currently checked out and I am second on the hold list so it will be a while yet.