• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

On 2/25/2017 at 0:07 PM, Franzisaurus_Rex said:

I've seen folks smoke and then braise, but I haven't seen much on the idea of braising something IN the smoker.

This I do but usually only in my electric smokers—it's not as easy, but doable in a charcoal smoker too.

What veg do you plan to braise with the rabbit?

I'd mildly smoke both rabbit and veg for a bit—suspended above a drip pan, at a relatively low temperature—then proceed with the braising.

58b351bda3485_McGeeBraisesandStews.PNG.45ba346dd6cb0bb83ef4e8cec752bc11.PNG

Source: On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen By Harold McGee, p. 163

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

On 2/25/2017 at 0:07 PM, Franzisaurus_Rex said:

I've seen folks smoke and then braise, but I haven't seen much on the idea of braising something IN the smoker.

This I do but usually only in my electric smokers—it's not as easy, but doable in a charcoal smoker too.

What veg do you plan to braise with the rabbit?

I'd mildly smoke both rabbit and veg for a bit—suspended above a drip pan, at a relatively low temperature—then proceed with the braising.

Source: On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen By Harold McGee, p. 163

McGee Braises and Stews.PNG