• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stripping polymerized buildup from metal cookware

rotuts

1 hour ago, SLB said:

Carbon-Off claims to be specifically safe on aluminum:

The SDS for Carbon Off lists 9-10% sodium hydroxide (lye).  Sodium hydroxide breaks down aluminum.  

I'm not sure how much aluminum you've removed, but, I think there's a good chance that it remains functional, and that some fine grit sandpaper will make it somewhat presentable again.  With enough elbow grease, there might be enough aluminum left to take it to pristeen, but, I wouldn't take that chance.  I think you can probably get it to look a bit like cast aluminum, which possesses it's own rustic charm.

• Like 3

image.png.b20833d4b2f6091cc1bc65eed80959e1.png

Sigh.  It literally did not occur to me to read the ingredients!!  I figured it was a lye-alternative:  "SAFE FOR ALUMINUM"

!?

Oh, well.  I guess I should've left the skillet . . . carbon-on.

We'll see how it cook up, rusticplus charm and all.  

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 1

Yup, a bit of a head shaker on the whole "safe for aluminum" thing.

FWIW, I did come across another SDS for carbon off, and, while it didn't have lye, it had ammonia, which also degrades aluminum.  I looked over the instructions to see if there was any fine print, such as a recommended shorter contact time, but, it said up to 5 hours. Unless I'm completely overlooking something, I'm having a hard as seeing this clam as anything but fraudulent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SLB said:

image.png.b20833d4b2f6091cc1bc65eed80959e1.png

Sigh.  It literally did not occur to me to read the ingredients!!  I figured it was a lye-alternative:  "SAFE FOR ALUMINUM"

!?

Oh, well.  I guess I should've left the skillet . . . carbon-on.

We'll see how it cook up, rusticplus charm and all.  

I don't understand how so much carbon builds up on a  pan bottom?  I've been using my All-Clad MC (the original ones, meaning they're probably 30+ years old) pans for a long time, and there has never been a carbon build-up on them.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I don't understand how so much carbon builds up on a  pan bottom?  I've been using my All-Clad MC (the original ones, meaning they're probably 30+ years old) pans for a long time, and there has never been a carbon build-up on them.

Thank you. I am equally puzzled.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

incomplete combustion of natural gas 

can leave a pan sooty .

This is actually what I was thinking; and if that's the case, the stove and/or gas lines ought to be adjusted.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

They have never been used outside.  No idea.  It started to accumulate around 2012 or so, which I attributed to the laziness which has emerged with my middle age.  Until two days ago the whole exterior looked black like the remaining small patches in the photo.  

But, now that I think of it, that is when the Bluestar was put in.  Hunh.  

Edited by SLB (log)

Ive seen pans in commercial kitchens 

w the blackness problem.

I wonder if commercial gas cooktops

leave a residue when cranked up ' high '

ie when more heat gets the dish done faster

but combustion , for some reason is incomplete 

at those max outputs.

it might be easy to test :

turn a burner to its max setting , hold a pan over the burner , maybe a bitt avoce

an see what happens.

10 hours ago, rotuts said:

Ive seen pans in commercial kitchens 

w the blackness problem.

I wonder if commercial gas cooktops

leave a residue when cranked up ' high '

ie when more heat gets the dish done faster

but combustion , for some reason is incomplete 

at those max outputs.

it might be easy to test :

turn a burner to its max setting , hold a pan over the burner , maybe a bitt avoce

an see what happens.

Actually you will get incomplete combustion at lower levels when the flame turns yellow. High heat will generally keep the flame blue and oxidizing unless you boil over and get water into the burner

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

@rotuts  I tried your proposed test, and did not notice any residue.  Maybe it accumulates so slowly that it will take a few days for me to be able to actually observe anything.  The bottom of the pan felt a little moist, for what that's worth.  

Here are pics of the flame on the heavy-use eyes.

image.thumb.jpeg.6614ac485a42db93540a90476a2940b5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8bfb98bfbe5a9d3d98648804858df3b0.jpeg

And, I see here that the bottom of my moka pot is all carbonized, too.  Hmm.  I've had this thing for 2.5 years.  Unlike the skillets, though -- this thing is never washed or anything like that.  It gets, you know, wiped down occasionally.  But no soap touches the mokapot, ever.  Maybe there is just too much grease in my house, everywhere.  It is possible!

image.thumb.jpeg.ceb4f79543d33eca9d4006f96a004c3c.jpeg

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2023 at 10:46 AM, weinoo said:

Here are two of the MC pans I'm referring to...

IMG_8715.thumb.jpg.a4e9c42e10b3c3d1b2b255781fad6dec.jpg

They've never been exposed to lye, Drano, EZ Off - or anything of the sort.

On 2/28/2023 at 10:46 AM, weinoo said:

Here are two of the MC pans I'm referring to...

IMG_8715.thumb.jpg.a4e9c42e10b3c3d1b2b255781fad6dec.jpg

They've never been exposed to lye, Drano, EZ Off - or anything of the sort.

My MC pans are the same.

But an MC2 has blackened.

I think the original MC aluminum has some voodoo magic in it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SLB said:

And, I see here that the bottom of my moka pot is all carbonized, too.  Hmm.  I've had this thing for 2.5 years.  Unlike the skillets, though -- this thing is never washed or anything like that.  It gets, you know, wiped down occasionally.  But no soap touches the mokapot, ever.  Maybe there is just too much grease in my house, everywhere.  It is possible!

If you use a kitchen to cook, grease will go airborne- both visibly and microscopically.  Also, the closer something is stored to your stove, the more grease is going to collect. The bottom of your moka pot is definitely polymerized oil. I also think that the deposits on most pans are polymerized oil as well.  I don't really understand the chemistry, but, grease tends to grab on to the bottom of pans much more aggressively than the top.  When I hand wash pans, I typically have to wash the bottom three times to get the grease off vs only once for the inside of the pan.

• Like 1

Here's an All Clad MC2 on the left and an MC on the right.

I've scrubbed the hell out of the MC2 and this is the best I can do.

The MC hasn't ever needed more than a sponge.  I have 4 other MCs that are cleaner, if anything.

20230303_161730.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, gfweb said:

Here's an All Clad MC2 on the left and an MC on the right.

Wow...gotta be a different metal formula on those MC2s, no?

On 3/2/2023 at 5:44 PM, scott123 said:

If you use a kitchen to cook, grease will go airborne- both visibly and microscopically.  Also, the closer something is stored to your stove, the more grease is going to collect.

I cook A LOT.  I keep my most used pans right above the stove on a shelf.  I've never seen what I'm seeing above.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 3/4/2023 at 11:30 AM, weinoo said:

Wow...gotta be a different metal formula on those MC2s, no?

Or, as @gfweb suggested:  voodoo.  

Seriously -- here's hoping the metal experts weigh in.  It seems so odd!

For what it's worth, my mother's Wagner Ware Magnalite also greases up good on the bottom.  However, it comes right off with Comet.  

• Like 1

We have one All Clad pan which is stainless steel but all the rest have aluminum outsides and are black, black, black. The clean insides of the pans are nice and shiny.

• Confused 1