• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using a lemon/other fruit curd as a chocolate filling

LucyInAust

Is there some simple way to enrobe lemon curd in chocolate?  Perhaps by freezing the curd first?  Could it easily be wrapped in a ganache?  Maybe injected into balls of ganache?  Thanks!

... Shel

25 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Add enough white chocolate or cocoa butter to make it solid enough to cut and handle. 

You can also use a blend of gelatin and agar. It makes it firm enough to cut and move to a plate, even at room temp, and doesn't mess with the mouthfeel too much if you get it right. I've never tried enrobing it though. If I were inclined to try, I'd probably prefer to spray it... but I wouldn't be inclined to try, I'd just shell mold it. Regardless, I would think you would need the chocolate to be well thinned with cocoa butter if you were going to try dipping or even just pouring it over. It's still pretty delicate even when bolstered with something unless you add so much it's not really recognizable as a curd anymore.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Pipe it into preformed truffle balls or cups and seal with tempered chocolate. Don't store for long before consuming.

Enrobing frozen stuff never ends well without special equipment.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Pipe it into preformed truffle balls or cups and seal with tempered chocolate.

That's pretty much all I wanted to say but I felt fairly certain it wouldn't end well if I did.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Just now, Tri2Cook said:

That's pretty much all I wanted to say but I felt fairly certain it wouldn't end well if I did.

Yes indeed - we have had previous experience, haven't we?

• Like 1