• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Avocado Recipes

Scotty O

14 hours ago, GlorifiedRice said:

Avocado

Condensed Milk

Ice

Splash of milk

Vitamix

Glass

Straw

This reminds me of an avocado milkshake I once had, and which I may need to return to.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

None of these combinations are the least bit out of the ordinary, but each brings an unbelievable amount of joy into my life (when avocados are in season).

1. With anything that you'd have ketchup with. A burger is the obvious choice, but don't forget other ketchup adorned foods like egg sandwiches.

2. With anything you'd have soy sauce with (see sushi comment above). Also, alone, with a drizzle of soy sauce.

3. Any Tex-Mex dish you'd have sour cream with.

I know, no surprises, but there's good reason why avocados have become so closely associated with these foods.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, chromedome said:

The word "powder" didn't come into it anywhere...you may have misread "power blender," perhaps? I was referring to the Vitamix/Blendtec kind of machine. 

I guess it would have been clearer if I'd called out the corresponding part of Ess' post as a quote, but I hadn't yet had much caffeine. :P

Well, Im loopy from painting for 5 days...so... :D

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I like a baked potato slathered with butter, sprinkle on some salt & pepper, maybe some shredded cheese of your choice and then top with mashed avocado.

Them's good eats! :B

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Some ideas:

- Make a paste with chocolate.

- Grill flesh side down if you want the cool griddle marks. Fill with prawns.

1INCIig.jpg

gS2Ei2Y.jpg

With sesame oil and nori

Au9jNXJ.jpg

21 hours ago, GlorifiedRice said:

Avocado

Condensed Milk

Ice

Splash of milk

Vitamix

Glass

Straw

I had something similar in Vietnam. Is it this? Was good!

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 6

I might start to feel sorry I asked - not enough avocados to try all these delicious things! :o

Since this morning, chromedome's post was the last I read, and all day I was thinking along the lines of :

On 2017-02-22 at 4:14 PM, GlorifiedRice said:

Avocado

Condensed Milk

Ice

Splash of milk

Vitamix

Glass

Straw

and:

23 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

I've also had a non-baked pie with a graham cracker crust

Avocado + condensed milk reminded me of pumpkin pie filling... and since I'm also on the quest for great shortbread (The BEST Shortbread... What IS Shortbread?) I was thinking of a shortbread crust (trying out @Okanagancook's recipe as it has egg and nutmeg)... And came here to ask for ideas for additions to the filling, because I don't think I really want a heavily spiced filling like some pumpkin pies are... Maybe some cinnamon? Salt? I don't know...

...And topped with avocado mousse instead of whipping cream? (Waiting for @anomalii on that one...)

I am craving some sweetness.

But now that sushi's been brought into the game (duh, why didn't I think of sushi and soy sauce?!) and all these enticing pictures... I'm in quite the dilemma.

I do have lots of eggs. And bread.

Also have some shrimp. And nori.

I might need to get some more avocados...9_9

12 minutes ago, Ess said:

I might need to get some more avocados...9_9

You couldn't pick a better time, imo.  This is right smack dab in the middle of one of the best avocado seasons I've ever witnessed (on the East Coast). The only downside is that avocados aren't as inexpensive at they were last year this time.  But the quality is through the roof- at least, so far. 

Here is a recipe for stuffed avocados that I copied out of a Memphis library book 41 years ago. I note that the recipe is Bolivian, but not the cookbook or author. At sixteen years old, I thought my razor-sharp memory would be eternal.  :) I also misspelled "avacado". 9_9

2 oz. peeled cooked shrimp

1 avocado

1/4 banana diced

1 t. lemon juice

2 Tbsp mayonaise

1-1/2 t. milk

salt and pepper

pinch paprika

pinch sugar

3/4 c diced chicken

2 or 3 lettuce leaves shredded

Cut avocado in half. Using a melon baller, make two avocado balls. Using a teaspoon, remove the rest of the flesh. Reserve skins and avocado balls. Dice remaining flesh. Combine avocado and banana, sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine mayo, milk, salt and pepper, paprika and sugar. Fold in bananas, chicken and lettuce. Spoon into avocado shells. Top with shrimp and avocado balls.

This is a very pretty dish, but I found I liked it better by replacing the banana with tomato, the paprika with cayenne, the chicken with more cooked shrimp and scattering the shredded lettuce around the plate mixed with chopped cilantro instead of mixing it into the filling. I love cilantro, but don't like it mixed in guacamole because it spoils the creamy texture to me. That's probably why care I didn't care for the shredded lettuce in the filling either.

Also guacamole must have a little finely diced white onion in this house.

> ^ . . ^ <

On February 23, 2017 at 7:48 AM, chromedome said:

We were collecting pits and grinding them up.   My wife was using them for natural fiber dye.  She was making felt from wool at the time.  They make a really nice dye and a range of colors depending on the pH they are exposed to 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

23 hours ago, munchymom said:

I have a huge avocado tree in my back yard, so I have lots of experience with this. My avocados are the big green Florida kind, not Haas. They are a little more watery/less fatty, and also sweeter than Haas avocados. As such, they're great for cooking, less great for guacamole or sandwiches. I like to grill slices and then cut them up in chunks for salad. Grilled avocado with grilled pineapple, dressed with lime juice and cilantro, salt and spices. Also really good as a vegetable in green curry.

I know those variety well.  It was what I grew up with.  We had a tree at one time when I was a kid 

7 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

We were collecting pits and grinding them up.   My wife was using them for natural fiber dye.  She was making felting from wool at the time.  They make a really nice dye and a range of colors depending on the pH they are exposed to 

Ah, yes..."mordanting." One of my favorite words, the year I was 10. "Anadromous" was high on the list that year, too (I learned it while the shad and gaspereaux were running).

(ETA: I read most of an encyclopedia and most of a dictionary that year, and literally had more words than I knew what to do with. In retrospect, I must have been hilarious to the adults around me as I tried to find casual ways to use them in conversation.)

Edited by chromedome
expanded upon original post (log)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Avocados are relatively cheaper at the moment on the prairies -  a bag of 5 for $2.98. My new breakfast lately: chopped avocado with chopped soft-boiled egg - gooey, creamy, and spicy with a sprinkle of lime and chili spice. Keeps the growling tummy happy and low on carbs.

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

My ability to pick ripe avocados that aren't a little  black in the center is poor when picking from the ripe bin at the grocery store.  These days I've been having to plan a few days ahead and buy them green and ripen at home.   So far so good

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

My ability to pick ripe avocados that aren't a little  black in the center is poor when picking from the ripe bin at the grocery store.  These days I've been having to plan a few days ahead and buy them green and ripen at home.   So far so good

I really hate when YouTube chefs will open an Avocado see its rotten and keep cooking with it on cam. At least have a few extras handy and edit out the nasty one. No one wants to see that.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

6 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

When it comes to fragility, avocados are just like bananas.  Unripe, they can handle getting banged around a bit- especially if they're very unripe.  Once ripe though, it's kid's gloves only. And you're not going to find gentle treatment in a grocery store bin- just the mere  weight of other avocados on top of a ripe avocado will cause it to be bruised- and that's just sitting in a pile.  Once you add the potential injury from handling - produce dept. workers and checkout people, being able to walk into a grocer and purchase a ripe unblemished avocado is pretty much impossible. I don't go as crazy as I used to, but I used to make little pillows out of paper towels for my ripening avocados.

And, of course, 'unblemished' is relative.  I've been to plenty of parties where hosts made guac from hideously brown fleshed avocados without blinking an eye.  But, for me, If the brown parts can be cut away, I'll try, but if it's more than half brown, off to the garbage it goes, with a pour of my forty for my dearly departed homie ;)

Speaking of things that make you want to cry, avocados were $2.50 a pop this week in my local grocer.  They were a dollar a couple weeks ago, so hopefully they'll drop again soon, because, as much joy as they bring me, it'll be a cold day in hell when I spend $2.50 on an avocado.

Edited by scott123 (log)
  • Like 2

Member @weinoo gives some good advice about getting good Hass avocados in this blog post of his. In addition, this topic discusses ways of ripening the lovely fruits.. 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown