• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thin chocolate tablet molds

Choky

At least in Europe comercial chocolate tablets are getting thinner. Usually 6mm thick and of course bigger in area.

But I don't manage to find that kind of molds at manufacturer's sites (80 or 100g). Or at least choice is very limited.

Why? Maybe too thin for manual unmolding? Or they just use bigger molds and fill partially? 

Thanks!

I have seen some US makers producing thinner bars, but they tend to be bean-to-bar chocolatiers with most likely custom molds. Why selection is limited usually boils down to supply and demand. I was looking for a 50 gram bar mold, lots of options out there but only 2 that fit my needs for proportion, depth, ease of cleaning, and visual appeal. I plan to order custom so I can get exactly what I want. 

• 5 years later...

I am making my first foray into making tablets with inclusions.  So far most of the molds I have found are about 24mm tall (that seems to be a standard at Chocolate World).  To me that seems too thick for easy eating.  Am I wrong about that assumption?  Where have people found thinner tablets?  They are so popular that there must be more sources.

23 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I am making my first foray into making tablets with inclusions.  So far most of the molds I have found are about 24mm tall (that seems to be a standard at Chocolate World).  To me that seems too thick for easy eating.  Am I wrong about that assumption?  Where have people found thinner tablets?  They are so popular that there must be more sources.

I agree the thinner ones you see don't seem to be thick enough for inclusions and are generally larger than you want for ease of packaging. Have you an idea of what size you are thinking?

6 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I agree the thinner ones you see don't seem to be thick enough for inclusions and are generally larger than you want for ease of packaging. Have you an idea of what size you are thinking?

I would think about 10mm would be easy to eat and still provide sufficient base for the inclusions.  But so many people are making tablets these days that I'm wondering if I'm missing something.  If CW is making lots of 24mm tablets, somebody must be using them.

10 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Here's an example (from Jessica Washburn) of something that looks easy to eat.  Maybe (as was suggested earlier in this thread) these are custom-made molds.

Custom for sure since they have the business name on them.

Here's some to look through

• Like 1