• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bloomed truffle shells

Damnfine

I have a box of truffle shells that were not stored properly and have bloomed. If I fill and dip them in tempered chocolate, will the newly dipped chocolate bloom due to the layer underneath it, or will the outer layer seal the under layer and keep them looking nice?

Ah - the million dollar question. Most of the time covering the untempered with tempered will be fine. On occasion I've noticed that they bloom. So not much of an answer I guess.

Before you go to a great of work, possibly with a disappointing outcome:  If you have a little bit of ganache left over from another project or can throw one together quickly and also have a little bit of chocolate you can temper, you can experiment with a small number of the shells and see what happens. If after watching them for a while, they are OK, then you can (with guarded confidence) use the rest, with the usual caveat that chocolate behaves differently from day to day (or so I have found). 

Worst case, if experiments show it to continue to be a problem, you could dip them and roll them in something to coat. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I only call it "worst case" because it's not what you had in mind.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.