• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Cook-Off 75: Meatballs

David Ross

The end (probably) of my meatball-making lark.

Loosely based on the recipe on the maker of the pear-apple syrup's web site.

igPAUFa.jpg

I used La Trappe bock beer and some Bovril in the sauce.

k7OEQhS.jpg

The syrup.

Rj0eX7d.jpg

Leftover Liège meatballs in a roll.

rMAp8t6.jpg

GUTZb4O.jpg

dUjDa9B.jpg

With tea soba.

PWZVgea.jpg

5L9ubC4.jpg

In the mince: harissa paste, kebab spice mix, minced onions and garlic.

In the sauce: Turkish red pepper paste, tomatoes, onions, seasoning.

GjglBjH.jpg

Leftover lamb meatballs.

yAgi1V5.jpg

Even better with giant white beans and chard.

Gotemtg.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 6

• 4 years later...

After grinding up a bunch of venison I decided to leave some out to do various things with.  One was to restock the freezer with meatballs.

About 3 lbs of venison burger

2 1\2 cups bread crumbs (I whizzed up one of the French bread loaves I had made)

Milk

A lot of chopped fresh parsley

Lawry's Salt

Tons of black pepper

Generous amount of hot pepper flakes

2 eggs

A bunch of fresh grated parmesan

Oregano

Mix all together and using a scoop, portion out out on baking tray.  Bake at 350F for 25 mins (I did mine in the CSO).  Place on a new baking sheet and freeze overnight.  Portion out and vac pac.  

thumbnail_IMG_1745.jpg.bde064822c3b11d293b19245bca26137.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1746.jpg.4d21b63d5c2590c31baba99d0dd8cc35.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1748.jpg.0675c0580b54b8a13a4338ab567e88b7.jpg

I have a couple more pounds in the fridge...may do another batch when I get home today.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Seeing Shelby's delicious looking venison meatballs immediately had me thinking of Albondiguitas and time to make some more, and then Sopa de Albondigas, one soup which is really hard to keep in stock because it's so tempting and gets eaten far too quickly.  Makes a good breakfast meal also.  

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

After grinding up a bunch of venison I decided to leave some out to do various things with.  One was to restock the freezer with meatballs.

About 3 lbs of venison burger

2 1\2 cups bread crumbs (I whizzed up one of the French bread loaves I had made)

Milk

A lot of chopped fresh parsley

Lawry's Salt

Tons of black pepper

Generous amount of hot pepper flakes

2 eggs

A bunch of fresh grated parmesan

Oregano

Mix all together and using a scoop, portion out out on baking tray.  Bake at 350F for 25 mins (I did mine in the CSO).  Place on a new baking sheet and freeze overnight.  Portion out and vac pac.  

thumbnail_IMG_1745.jpg.bde064822c3b11d293b19245bca26137.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1746.jpg.4d21b63d5c2590c31baba99d0dd8cc35.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1748.jpg.0675c0580b54b8a13a4338ab567e88b7.jpg

I have a couple more pounds in the fridge...may do another batch when I get home today.

Are those 6-packs one serving or two?

7 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Shelby flat leaf or curly parsley? Also with venison being generally lean, does the amountof milk and breadcrumbs yield a fairly juicy ball?

Flat leaf.

Yeah, that and the eggs.  I think these are my best meatballs ever.  Very moist, but they held their shape.

• Like 3

I was hoping you'd say flat. The only thing I like about the curly stuff is feeding it to a rabbit and watching it twirl as the bunny keeps chewing. Now I want a stash of balls in my freezer. I kinda like bouncy ones and for a singleton found Trader Joes turkey ones (frozen) to be perfect nuked as a snack with a sharp mustard. Or to plop into soup. Does nuking count for a cook-off ;)

• Like 1