• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Halloween Waffles p 144

IMG_1376.thumb.jpg.402a3651ccbf8b49101447106b68c303.jpg

This recipe intrigued me.  Along with the usual flour, butter, eggs, baking powder,  it includes raw, grated acorn squash, diced apple, chopped pecans and yellow cornmeal.  They are sweetened with maple syrup and the only other liquid is apple cider - no dairy. 

I found them rather heavy and too sweet for my taste.  Kind of like eating an apple muffin.   I used a fairly coarsely ground cornmeal (the same I've used in other waffles) and since there was no resting time, some of it was unpleasantly hard.  This was improved somewhat in the leftovers that I froze and reheated in the CSO.  

Dorie suggests topping with maple syrup or applesauce or as a main course with a chunk of sharp cheese and a side of a lightly dressed green vegetable.   I went with a lightly dressed salad of frisée, sliced apple, Gorgonzola, toasted walnuts and speck. 

I don't think I will make these again but if I did, I'd use a finer cornmeal and skip or reduce the maple syrup.  The apple is to be cut in small dice, I think I'd just grate it the same size as the squash and I'd probably use a different squash as acorn squash are a pain in the butt to peel. 

The batter shows how much squash and apple are in the mix, adding to the moistness of the waffles:

IMG_1363.thumb.jpg.574e2a7af36bb62b4c39945d648e7b11.jpg

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Halloween Waffles p 144

IMG_1376.thumb.jpg.402a3651ccbf8b49101447106b68c303.jpg

This recipe intrigued me.  Along with the usual flour, butter, eggs, baking powder,  it includes raw, grated acorn squash, diced apple, chopped pecans and yellow cornmeal.  They are sweetened with maple syrup and the only other liquid is apple cider - no dairy. 

I found them rather heavy and too sweet for my taste.  Kind of eating an apple muffin.   I used a fairly coarsely ground cornmeal and since there was no resting time, some of it was unpleasantly hard.  This was improved somewhat in the leftovers that I froze and reheated in the CSO.  

Dorie suggests topping with maple syrup or applesauce or as a main course with a chunk of sharp cheese and a side of a lightly dressed green vegetable.   I went with a lightly dressed salad of frisée, sliced apple, Gorgonzola, toasted walnuts and speck. 

I don't think I will make these again but if I did, I'd use a finer cornmeal and skip or reduce the maple syrup.  The apple is to be cut in small dice, I think I'd just grate it the same size as the squash and I'd probably use a different squash as acorn squash are a pain in the butt to peel. 

The batter shows how much squash and apple are in the mix, adding to the moistness of the waffles:

IMG_1363.thumb.jpg.574e2a7af36bb62b4c39945d648e7b11.jpg