• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unexpected Food Gifts

liuzhou

12 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Halve figs but leave the stem end intact.   Place in a buttered baking dish.   Cover with clumps of fresh goat cheese or fromage blanc.  A very few rosemary leaves.   Roast in hot oven until cheese starts to melt.   Drizzle with a few drops of very good balsamic vinegar.     Cheese course, dessert or breakfast.   

I may just try this to see if it cures my aversion to figs.  It has to be better than fig newtons.

Ripe figs split open, topped with blue cheese, and on the grill for a few minutes. A drizzle of honey to finish, or as somebody suggested upthread, balsamic.

On an onion tart, with blue cheese or goat cheese.

Chopped up finely along with olives, then dressed with a little balsamic and olive oil. A topper over goat cheese or fromage blanc on toasts.

In a salad with grapes, bananas and pecans. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Coincidentally, I was thinking about figs today after seeing these which an itinerant vendor was carrying.

figs.thumb.jpg.a1d97d3f5530999115abaaa6a4973f1c.jpg

That got me thinking about these, which I've seen many, many times over the last few years. Dried figs. 

586872072_kunlunfigs.thumb.jpg.1ffab544c1089827ac9e2466c2ef5c1a.jpg

I have no idea how they are used; must find out. I suspect they are involved in TCM (Chinese Traditional Medicine) but don't actually know, but then everything else is.

Interestingly (perhaps), the Chinese name for figs, 无花果 (wú huā guǒ) translates literally as 'no flower fruit'.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

My husband isn't crazy about figs, so I'll probably make compote and freeze it. I have a sad orange in the fridge so I'll put the peel to good use. Alternately contemplating a crostada...but with the heat the idea of working with any butter laden crust seems like a bad idea.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I wound up making compote with this batch, added some julienned orange rind which is really nice, and a smidge of cardamom. 

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

And today she showed up with a big container of turon and some empanadas. I showed her the pic on Serious Eats so demonstrate current interest widespread in Filipino cuisine. She likes to introduce her cuisine to others who may not be familiar.  https://www.seriouseats.com/turon-filipino-fried-banana-rolls-5189025

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Just went out to buy some beers at the local mom 'n' pop and the guy threw in this small bunch of 鸡皮果 (jī pí guǒ), chicken skin fruit, aka 山黄皮 (shān huáng pí), mountain yellow skin.

22452311_.thumb.jpg.ddee549a9cebfaf4d8adc32711b8aa0f.jpg

What do you do with it?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

The usual method. By putting them in my mouth, biting, chewing and swallowing.

Seeds?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

looks a little like grapes....

Yes. And about the same size. But totally different in every other respect.

They can be quite sour and have a citrus flavour despite being unrelated to that family.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I was gifted this box of hybrid plum/cherries.  They’re much sweeter that plums which I often find too tart. The person who grew them is a professor of horticulture at the local university.  I’m going to make chutney, preserves or jam.  May dehydrate some.  Any other ideas are welcome.

7A632072-FDE7-4BEE-BB71-907285295720.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

25 minutes ago, Jacksoup said:

I was gifted this box of hybrid plum/cherries.

Are these not the same fruit that @blue_dolphindiscussed earlier. Would love to get my hands on some. 

Edited by Anna N
To change food to fruit (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog