• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unexpected Food Gifts

liuzhou

A totally different angle:    In these days of sequestration, limited exposure to outside experiences, what is the protocol for offering food to people outside your bubble?    We don't consume food cooked outside our home, aka any kind of take out.    How do you offer food to others who may be similarly restricting their food?

Reason for asking, we made peach ice cream today and considered taking a pint to neighbors down the hill.   We know they are being very conscientious about exposure.    We worry that even if we express our understanding and general agreement of their concerns, they might feel the need to accept and the toss it.

Thoughts?

eGullet member #80.

Not the food itself but if ya may have contaminated in a short window before gifting.  I have seen the spray analyses - shocking. So  I just let the gifting impulse go for now esp here in a hot-bed. But that is me.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

A totally different angle:    In these days of sequestration, limited exposure to outside experiences, what is the protocol for offering food to people outside your bubble?    We don't consume food cooked outside our home, aka any kind of take out.    How do you offer food to others who may be similarly restricting their food?

Reason for asking, we made peach ice cream today and considered taking a pint to neighbors down the hill.   We know they are being very conscientious about exposure.    We worry that even if we express our understanding and general agreement of their concerns, they might feel the need to accept and the toss it.

Thoughts?

After a while of not sharing, I've been giving out popsicles again.  I ask in advance and say that I completely understand if they'd rather take a rain check on a future batch.  I'll usually text a photo of the pops and ask if they'd like some.  We coordinate a masked hand-off via text. 

I wouldn't surprise anyone by showing up at their door or dropping off an unexpected package. 

A lot of my friends are scientists and understand this is a respiratory virus so contracting it through food isn't an enormous risk. 

They've all eaten my food before so they trust that I'm using appropriate kitchen hygiene. 

I've been sticking to cooking my own food and haven't done any take-out either, saving my splurges for indulgent ingredients.  I wouldn't hesitate to accept reciprocal offers of food from friends.  Especially peach ice cream!

Bottom line:  If the choice you offer is now or later rather than yes or no, I think you'll avoid having anyone accept and toss.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

You can give away canned stuff:  jams, preserves and so on. That food has been pasteurized (or sterilized) inside the jar, so the risks are infinitesimal. If people are skeptical they can sanitize the outside of the  jar before opening it.

Teo

Teo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bodega Red Potatoes are back from the brink of extinction! Our neighbors are gardening in a small lot my husband and his siblings own out at Dillon Beach. He gifted us a few potatoes he grew from heirloom seeds purchased at the Petaluma Seed Bank. The best potatoes I can remember eating! Just a lumpy looking brown potato, but the inside is pristine white. I parboiled them, cut them into large chunks and sautéed them in butter until there were a few crispy bits. Incredibly good. But then I do like potatoes.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

In service to truth telling my husband says they are actually red. My sense of color must be altered, since the sky in the west is now red. It must be throwing me off. In so many ways. My SIL sent me a long article from the Press Democrat (local paper) about the Bodega Red. Long story short, one guess is that a South American sailor jumped ship in northern CA with a couple of Bodega Reds in his pockets. But there is a definite movement to bring them back. All good!

• 2 months later...

Surely you jest! That is what I call FRIENDS Add a touch of butter, saute,  and top any carb - pasta, toast. Lucky you! Sometimes a touch of black pepper but garlic can overwhelm - we all have preferences. Who just had an A$$ load? checking.  Ahh here https://forums.egullet.org/topic/160121-dinner-2020/?do=findComment&comment=2272004

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1

So, I sent the BF friend who gifted me the mushrooms this Chantrelle Soup Recipe where Hank Shaw discusses Better Than Sex mushroom soup. BF asked: "Do you know much about French cooking? I’m wondering about what you can make in advance and what you should not make in advance. Or, can you make the soup, put it in the fridge, reheat another day?"

I said I would ask.

9 minutes ago, TdeV said:

So, I sent the BF friend who gifted me the mushrooms this Chantrelle Soup Recipe where Hank Shaw discusses Better Than Sex mushroom soup. BF asked: "Do you know much about French cooking? I’m wondering about what you can make in advance and what you should not make in advance. Or, can you make the soup, put it in the fridge, reheat another day?"

I said I would ask.

Love Hank.  The veloute may break. I would make to eat immediately until you drop and if saving any (doubt it) leftover - reheat very gently (double boilerish). What would you want to "do ahead" ? Such a straightforward prep. 

This lot rolled up at 8:30 pm last night. A gift from a friend in Guangdong Province.

nuts.thumb.jpg.fa6a6f05f352a4bc136bad583c42dd3d.jpg

Top: L-R: Crab flavoured broad beans, Macadamia nuts, Melon seeds, Walnuts, Beef flavour broad beans, Almonds.

Botton: L-R: Peanuts, Pecans, Japanese chestnuts.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 11/11/2020 at 8:50 PM, TdeV said:

I was just gifted with 2 pounds of Chanterelle mushrooms and a pint of heavy cream. Ideas?

Invite me over for dinner?

My go-to chanterelle recipe is the dead simple chanterelle and dried apricot sauce from The New Basics Cookbook, by Sheila Lukins and Julee Rosso. Instead of serving it over toast as an app, or on its own as a vegetable, I use it as a sauce over meat from a local farm (usually pork tenderloin or boneless chicken breast or thighs, although I imagine it would be stellar over turkey). The recipe doesn't call for cream, although I imagine it couldn't hurt.

• Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

20 minutes ago, Alex said:

My go-to chanterelle recipe is the dead simple chanterelle and dried apricot sauce from The New Basics Cookbook, by Sheila Lukins and Julee Rosso. 

Yes Apricots (concentrated via dried) sounds like a lovely echo of the chanterelle essence, Thanks for the idea.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A visiting friend brought me this 300 gram bag of 花菇 (huā gū) or "flower mushtrooms" - prized dried shiitake from 田林 (tián lín xiàn) - Tianlin County of 百色 (bǎi sè), a prefecture in Guangxi near the borders with Yunnan and Guizhou provinces. It also borders Vietnam. Tiamnlin is a forested, mountainous area inhabited by the Yao and Miao ethnic minorities and well known for its wild mushrooms.

1290994921_20201130_0835561.thumb.jpg.198bd86e098cf8a1d3710f453c920427.jpg

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

We got TWO unexpected gifts yesterday!  What a treat!  The first is from my mom and step dad.  She said I could wait until Christmas to open, which normally I would, but it's a pandemic so I say open the gifts now 🙋‍♀️.

This is all from a place in Durango, CO.  

thumbnail_IMG_0210.jpg.2e306f64212f80c9561513d03213cca8.jpg

Along with it came this CUTE hand sanitizer.  I love that they got creative and used what would normally be filled with honey for the container!

thumbnail_IMG_0211.jpg.f26fc00ae09650e95d37ff40865ecfdb.jpg

And, our hunter friend from GA sent us a ton of venison sausage!  He's very sorely missed around here.  Rifle deer season began on Wednesday....it feels very wrong to not have him around.

thumbnail_IMG_0212.jpg.b4eceefebed8ab08631daf65f160ac2f.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

I got a giant chocolate bar in the mail from Wegman's yesterday, as thanks for being one of their "top customers" (whatever that means).  I don't like chocolate (so am planning on sticking it in my niece's Christmas stocking heh heh), but they also loaded a gift card and a bunch of digital coupons for various free food on to my Wegman's account that I can redeem via online shopping.  That, I will use.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1