• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unexpected Food Gifts

liuzhou

12 hours ago, Shelby said:

*scratching @Kim Shook off of the "leave zucchini on the porch" list*

Hell, she even grates it up for you!

LOL!  I managed to pass a bag to my MIL today.  She is one of those people who physically suffers at the idea of wasted food.  You just hint that you might just toss it and she agrees to give it a home. 🤣

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jessica arrived with a bag of these last night.  A gift from a friend of hers who bought "too many" (how does that ever apply to blue crab?):

IMG_2971.jpg.835dbf5d9b64d2df3076a50725df7ec7.jpg

They are on a half sheet pan, BTW.  I am slightly steaming them in the CSO and picking them all today.  Hope to do something interesting for dinner tonight.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Jessica arrived with a bag of these last night.  A gift from a friend of hers who bought "too many" (how does that ever apply to blue crab?):

IMG_2971.jpg.835dbf5d9b64d2df3076a50725df7ec7.jpg

They are on a half sheet pan, BTW.  I am slightly steaming them in the CSO and picking them all today.  Hope to do something interesting for dinner tonight.  

Looks like maybe enough. Half to eat while picking, half for crab cakes.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Looks like maybe enough. Half to eat while picking, half for crab cakes.

Oh heavens - first time I got blue crab at the Korean market that had super fresh stuff I was a novice. My only crab experience was Dungeness which are hefty kids. . I had NO idea how many it took to satisfy. Husband bit his tongue at the meager meal and  was just  tad  grumpy. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Haha 3

Went to the office today, got a bag of tomatoes from co-worker (large, grape, and tiny cherry types), he also gave me these cookies which his wife has been enjoying with tea.

IMG_20200807_105324.jpg

• Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 8/7/2020 at 10:58 AM, BeeZee said:

Went to the office today, got a bag of tomatoes from co-worker (large, grape, and tiny cherry types), he also gave me these cookies which his wife has been enjoying with tea.

IMG_20200807_105324.jpg

Funny thing.  We got a big box of these at Costco awhile back.  We've been eating them and noting that they were a little bland and not terribly figgy and that Fig Newtons are actually better...blah, blah, blah.  Just realized last week that they are filled with DATES.  Not figs.  Duh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Funny thing.  We got a big box of these at Costco awhile back.  We've been eating them and noting that they were a little bland and not terribly figgy and that Fig Newtons are actually better...blah, blah, blah.  Just realized last week that they are filled with DATES.  Not figs.  Duh.

Dates don't have the seedy edge that figs do but if they are good ones - flavorful for sure. Kinda famous for them in our desert area https://www.seriouseats.com/2008/05/best-date-shakes-in-southern-california.html

Edited by heidih (log)

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

They are pretty dry and the cookie part wants to crumble, definitely better eaten with tea or coffee, I do like the date flavor but they definitely don’t have the same ratio of filling as Newtons.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

4 hours ago, heidih said:

Dates don't have the seedy edge that figs do but if they are good ones - flavorful for sure. Kinda famous for them in our desert area https://www.seriouseats.com/2008/05/best-date-shakes-in-southern-california.html

I've wanted to taste a date shake since reading about them in one of the Sterns books!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I've wanted to taste a date shake since reading about them in one of the Sterns books!

I've wanted to taste one too- @Smithy posted a while back about going to that place that sells dates .  I forget where it is, but I always drooled over her purchases and she always gets a date shake :) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I've wanted to taste one too- @Smithy posted a while back about going to that place that sells dates .  I forget where it is, but I always drooled over her purchases and she always gets a date shake :) 

We always go to the Oasis Date Gardens in Thermal. Here's my most recent visit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Just now, Smithy said:

We always go to the Oasis Date Gardens in Thermal. Here's my most recent visit.

Yeah!  Thank you!

I'm just now thinking a fig newton or date cookie roughly chopped and mixed in homemade ice cream might be worth exploring.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm betting you have a big boy blender.  Why not give this a try and report back? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The best treatment of dates I know: Stuff an almond in where that pit was. Wrap the date in 1/3 strip of bacon (the thin, supermarket kind). Sprinkle with a little brown sugar or drizzle a little maple syurp. Bake until bacon is done.

I can hurt myself on these.

I like them in oatmeal, and in bran muffins, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

22 minutes ago, kayb said:

The best treatment of dates I know: Stuff an almond in where that pit was. Wrap the date in 1/3 strip of bacon (the thin, supermarket kind). Sprinkle with a little brown sugar or drizzle a little maple syurp. Bake until bacon is done.

I can hurt myself on these.

Classic 70's cocktail pass around at my mom's dinner parties :) No added sugar though. And I think us kitchen helpers broiled them with the pan on a slightly lower rack. 

1 hour ago, kayb said:

My GF substitutes pecans, but the idea is the same. Sadly, she has to pass on the bacon now that her doctor has ordered her to cut processed and red meats (an anti-inflammatory diet to moderate her RA). Personally, I like 'em with a smidge of blue cheese in the middle.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

20200811_154111.thumb.jpg.93839400022be3b8f5501e531a08a50b.jpg

I gave a customer some Mandarines my Citrus Guy gave me as I have way more than I could ever use. She bought me these today! She lives alone with her horses and 2 bantam chooks that lay 2 each a day! I have passed on most as we're not eggy people and I had made a quiche the day before that'll do us for egg fancying for a month 🤦‍♀️

• Like 5

When the eG Heartland Gathering was in Cleveland we went to Lolita. Here's what I wrote down about the date appetizer after.

• dates
  • bacon
  • almond 
  • garlic
  • hot pepper
  • butter
  • white wine
  • parsley
  • Like 3