• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I really should start a new topic for this. It was unexpected but also unwelcome and, in my view, not even food - at least not for humans.

I popped into the local mom 'n' pop store near my home for a six-pack of the local brew to lubricate the evening and the guy insisted on giving me this. I did decline, but that was taken to be typical Chinese etiquette. Gifts should always be refused several times before being accepted. Immediate acceptance is seen as pure greed!

So, of course the guy insisted. I almost said to him "No I really don't want the damned thing!" but remembered that would just be interpreted as extreme politness and he'd think I meant the opposite!

Result? I took the horrid thing home. I'm planning on giving it to the obnoxious, spoilt brat of a kid upstairs. I can't stand the little ....!

aagghh.thumb.jpg.755f15a4d239ea5b0595e02ccaa252ab.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

I really should start a new topic for this. It was unexpected but also unwelcome and, in my view, not even food - at least not for humans.

I popped into the local mom 'n' pop store near my home for a six-pack of the local brew to lubricate the evening and the guy insisted on giving me this. I did decline, but that was taken to be typical Chinese etiquette. Gifts should always be refused several times before being accepted. Immediate acceptance is seen as pure greed!

So, of course the guy unsisted. I almost said to him "No I really don't want the damned thing!" but that would just be interpreted as extreme politness and he'd think I meant the opposite!

Result? I took the horrid thing home. I'm planning on giving it to obnoxious, spoil brat of a kid upstairs. I can't stand the little ....!

aagghh.thumb.jpg.755f15a4d239ea5b0595e02ccaa252ab.jpg