• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Is this classified as a gift? Maybe; maybe not. I'm going with maybe.

I was recently approached by an old associate who asked if I would be wiling to join a (汾酒 - fén jiǔ) fenjiu tasting panel. Fenjiu is one type of the Chinese spirit, 白酒 (bái jiǔ). It is the only type I can drink - relatively mild and more subtle that other varieties.The deal is that they send me maybe two bottles of fenjiu a month, I taste it and send them my tasting notes. They pay me for tasting it and writing my notes and send me the bottles (and the contents) for free and gratis! So I call it a gift. The blue one is a 30-year old at 53% ABV, while the green is a mere lad of 20-years and 42%. I know the blue one sells for over $200 USD in the USA. Not so sure about the green but if it is available it will only be a little cheaper.

So, today at 11:32 am, the first two bottles turned up. Here they be.

20210420_122646.thumb.jpg.ff9536b65793f8842bbc3363f7fc8d70.jpg

20210420_122631.thumb.jpg.e7b5f53c6b571a2bc11ac5d854806596.jpg

I won't be tasting them immediately as I'm on medication which doesn't agree with alcohol, but the course will be over in a day or three. I may post my thoughts somewhere in the appropriate section of the forums.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Is this classified as a gift? Maybe; maybe not. I'm going with maybe.

I was recently approached by an old associate who asked if I would be wiling to join a (汾酒 - fén jiǔ) fenjiu tasting panel. Fenjiu is one type of the Chinese spirit, 白酒 (bái jiǔ). It is the only type I can drink - relatively mild and more subtle that other varieties.The deal is that they send me maybe two bottles of fenjiu a month, I taste it and send them my tasting notes. They pay me for tasting it and writing my notes and send me the bottles (and the contents) for free and gratis! So I call it a gift. The blue one is a 30-year old at 53% ABV, while the green is a mere lad of 20-years and 42%. I know the blue one sells for over $200 USD in the USA. Not so sure about the green but if it is available it will only be a little cheaper.

So, today at 11:32 am, the first two bottles turned up. Here they be.

20210420_122646.thumb.jpg.ff9536b65793f8842bbc3363f7fc8d70.jpg

20210420_122631.thumb.jpg.e7b5f53c6b571a2bc11ac5d854806596.jpg

I won't be tasting them immediately as I'm on medication which doesn't agree with accident, but the course will be over in a day or three. I may post my thoughts somewhere in the appropriate section of the forums.