• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Books on Cooking Sous Vide

Anna N

Here  I was asked to compare two books on Sous Vide. Rather than take that topic off its track I thought we could begin a discussion of Sous Vide books here.

I still turn to Douglas Baldwin's Sous Vide for the Home Cook if I need a quick answer on time and temperature or if I have doubts about something I have read.  But it is showing its age. 

We all anxiously awaited Thomas Kellers Under Pressure  but it turned out to be the most disappointing of all of his books for most of us.

I recently bought a copy of The Complete Sous Vide Cookbook by Chris McDonald (a Canadian chef) and find the reading very interesting but have only attempted one thing and even that I did not follow the full recipe but used his time and temp and they were bang on.  He covers such esoteric items as black garlic and preserved lemon done using Sous Vide.

I also own a Kindle copy of Sous Vide at Home: The Modern Technique for Perfectly Cooked Meals by Lisa Fetterman. I have barely glanced at it yet. 

There might be more looking in my Kindle library or even in my real library but these are the ones that come to mind right now. 

Feel free to chime in with your thoughts and other recommendations. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I also was bitterly disappointed with Thomas Keller's Under Pressure.

I too frequently refer to Douglas Baldwin's Sous Vide for the Home Cook. Mostly to check temperature and times. Can't say that I frequent his recipes. The biggest problem is that I can't stand his index.

I'm having an interesting time converting Paula Wolfert's recipes so I cook the beans and veg in the tagine (with home-made lamb stock ice cubes) and the lamb itself in the sous vide. Of course, I can't stand her index either.

I've also just bought your recommended The Complete Sous Vide Cookbook by Chris McDonald, so I'll let you know how that goes.

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

The Complete Sous Vide Cookbook by Chris McDonald

I wish this was available for Kindle! Dang!

It's quite an expensive book via Amazon ($27.95)... for me, anyway.

It's available for significantly less from other sources, but I'm afraid that I may get the first edition (November 15th 2015) instead of the most current (December 2, 2016)....listings aren't always reliable. :S

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Okay, I found the current edition in the UK for $16.43 total, to my door.

It's on the way. 7cc7NmS.gif

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

16 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I wish this was available for Kindle! Dang!

It's quite an expensive book via Amazon ($27.95)... for me, anyway.

It's available for significantly less from other sources, but I'm afraid that I may get the first edition (November 15th 2015) instead of the most current (December 2, 2016)....listings aren't always reliable. :S

Understand. Desperately wanted a Kindle edition but the layout in the print edition  does not look like it will lend itself well to an electronic copy.  Many, many sidebars!  It is jam packed with information but I can see the limitations of an electronic version. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

my library has Complete Sous Vide Cookbook

I have Sous Vide at Home: The Modern Technique for Perfectly Cooked Meals   in hardback

I have not made anything from it , but have enjoyed looking it over

for me  all I have needed so far it time and temps , rarely an Rx.   I use the SV for many things after the fact

it suits me , but I can understand a need for some Rx's involving SV

• Like 1

I finished Fetterman's book a couple of nights ago.  I really enjoyed it, more so than I thought I would.  I have not made any recipes but I stuck several bookmarks in.  Her writing is good, the pictures are wonderful, and there is even a recipe from the photographer.

Under Pressure did nothing for me.

Baldwin's web page is my first reference for times and temperatures, followed by advice from MC folks.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Still dipping in to the McDonald book. The recipe for chicken cholent (sous vide)  has me quite intrigued. That is except for the chickpeas or the offered substitution of white beans. :P

In my life I see Sous Vide as being very attractive as a way of cooking a complete meal. 

Reading the recipe more closely ..... Hmmmm. Seems like one of those "just because you can...."   By the time you are all finished the pre-prep you might as well just shove it in the oven from what I can see.  

Edited by Anna N
On re-reading the recipe I had to amend my opinion. (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N, I never use Sous Vide as a way of cooking a whole meal. This is a very interesting idea!

For me I usually Sous Vide the meat portion (between 132F and 165F, depending on cut). Douglas Baldwin says dried beans, for example, should be done at 185F, though my recent experience would suggest 202F for 10+ hours. (Fresh dried beans, bought last summer from the Farmers' Market).

How many Sous Vide devices do you have?

Edited by TdeV
More clarity (log)

41 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@Anna N, I never use Sous Vide as a way of cooking a whole meal. This is a very interesting idea!

For me I usually Sous Vide the meat portion (between 132F and 165F, depending on cut). Douglas Baldwin says dried beans, for example, should be done at 185F, though my recent experience would suggest 202F for 10+ hours. (Fresh dried beans, bought last summer from the Farmers' Market).

Must I confess?

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Yes! :D

The truth is that i'm really interested in using Sous Vide to cook a whole meal. So tell me about that, if you please. If you should happen to casually drop the number of devices you have, well and good.

Just to fess up,  I have two slow cookers with two controllers. Bought because I really wanted to be able to cook two things. I'm thinking, however, of adding an inexpensive immersion cooker, because I want to be able to Sous Vide salmon and my two slow cookers don't have any water swirling action. So, that would put me up to three devices. 9_9

Edited by TdeV (log)

51 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I have four sous vide devices between our condo and beach house.  The original Polyscience device that looks like a lab model, it was purchased 10 plus years ago when there was no other options.  Sous vide supreme that was bought at a huge discount in Bloomingdales.  Anova that is now relegated to beach house.  Joule that is my current favorite.  As my husband says, it is better than buying shoes.  As my son says, that is why he had to pay his own B school tuition.  As my daughter in law says, that is why I do not have grand children yet.

• Like 5

i also purchased Under Pressure.way back when I was thinking of using SV.

those were the days of the SousVideMagic.

even though my library system had several copies in its system , I decided I had to have a copy sight unseen.

fortunately for me , I got a used copy for $ 5 , postage included.

it was still in its cellophane wrapper.

after drooling over it for a few days , I realized why it was still in its wrapper. 

still I got it for five

:laugh:

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Yes! :D

The truth is that i'm really interested in using Sous Vide to cook a whole meal. So tell me about that, if you please. If you should happen to casually drop the number of devices you have, well and good.

Just to fess up,  I have two slow cookers with two controllers. Bought because I really wanted to be able to cook two things. I'm thinking, however, of adding an inexpensive immersion cooker, because I want to be able to Sous Vide salmon and my two slow cookers don't have any water swirling action. So, that would put me up to three devices. 9_9

3. Two Anovas and a Joule. I thought one Anova was dead and had put a FUBAR  label on it but today I decided to give it a second chance and it seems to be working well. I suspect steam got into it and a long period of drying out has solved this problem.   Currently I have four servings of vegetables in two of the baths.   I cannot give you a great deal of information yet on cooking whole meals but I'm working on that aspect.   I often cook vegetables and protein separately but I would like to be able to make something that will closely resembles a whole meal in a single package. I may be reaching for the moon.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 1/2 SousVideMagics   ( one has more rust than the other )   I still use these for Big Batches

2 Anovas.   yes 3.   I got killer deals  one I lend out , to people who want to try it.  the middle one.

its not a whole meal , but w chicken breasts , after I de-tendon them , I cut them up for Indian/Thai/ sorts of meals

with various commercial pastes.  chill/freeze.  for re-heating , if Thai-ish , I snip the corner of the pack and add high fat coconut milk from a can

and fold over that former and staple then heat.

on top of rice , with nuts / herbs  makes a nice meal.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I would like to be able to make something that will closely resembles a whole meal in a single package. I may be reaching for the moon.

I use the controllers with the slow cookers (no water bath) and am able to make whole meals that way . . . but it's still an issue finding "whole meal" food that cooks at the same temperature.

the CkBr has the various pastes in the initial pouch.  I add the C.C. on the reheat and reheat at 130.

I don't think the CC does well for several hours at 142  , my CkBr cooking temp.

cook some rice , now so easy and fast in the iP , chop cilantro , red onion , green onion , some cashews or toasted almonds and done.

its not so hard to have Meats in bags and veg in another bag cooked at their own times and temps

then take out two bags and you have Meats and Veg.

sometimes the indian-ish dishes end up w 'gravy' that's too thin.   I use some paste / water / cornstarch on the stove

to get s thicker base then add the CkBr into that , but Im careful to keep the temp at or a bit lower than 145

Edited by rotuts (log)

12 hours ago, TdeV said:

I forgot to ask. When you Sous Vide chicken breast, do you take the skin off? Handle differently for thighs?

Hard to beat Michael Voltaggio's method for chicken thighs here.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog