• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for what to make with Ginger Puree?

pastryani

I recently ordered some ginger puree (impulse buy, oh my) and I'm not sure what to do with it. 9_9  I thought it was just going to be spicy ground ginger with maybe a little sugar added, but it's actually quite sweet https://www.perfectpuree.com/product/ginger/).  It's more of a liquidy, jammy consistency.  Ideally I'd like to use it for bonbon fillings (ganache or pdf) but worry that it might end up being too sweet, so I'm open to other suggestions.  Thanks.

I made ginger leather with some.  You have to cook it down a bit more.  Also I added some orange juice and zest.

I spread it on parchment on sheet pans and put it in a very low oven until it jelled

Then into the dehydrator overnight or so, till it was no longer tacky.  It's been a few years so I don't recall exactly.

After dehydrating it, I cut it into strips about an inch wide and wrapped them around pieces of dried peach and apricot.

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'd try adding some to apricot jam, plus some water, then heating and straining it to make bakery glaze. It would be delicious on a fresh fruit tart, or shining up certain flavors of danish (pear, apple, peach), or as a finishing touch to a tart.

There's always pastry cream, just reduce or eliminate the sugar.

And, adding it to fruit compote or a pie filling would also be delicious.

On the savory side, it would be a good addition to soups, gravies and some sauces. (think of a gastrique, for example, or, a Japanese style curry)

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Update:  I made ginger PDF using the recipe on the Perfect Puree website.  Initial observations:  it only called for 2 TBSP of the ginger purée (which seems low), 1 cup of sugar + 2 tsp (seems very high considering the purée is already a syrupy consistency because of the high sugar content), and 3/4 tsp of tartaric acid (crazy high IMO, not to mention does a sour flavor really go well with ginger?).  

I followed the recipe but decided to experiment with the acid.  I poured out the majority of it into a frame, and with the rest I added a pinch of the acid to see what it would taste like.

Results: the batch without the acid tasted gingery enough but was cloyingly sweet.  Bleccch.  Wayyyyy too sweet for me.  The batch with the acid was less sweet but did taste a bit odd - ginger doesn't really seem benefit from acid the same way that fruit does (which already has a citrus component to it and so the acid helps brighten up the flavor).  I don't think that I'd know it was ginger flavor if tasting for the first time.  Also worth mentioning that it was a little firmer (but I'm not sure if that was due to lowering the pH or just spending an extra minute in the pan).  Lastly - what would you dredge these squares in??  Adding more sugar seems like adding fuel to the fire but adding acid will throw off the taste.  Maybe ginger PDF wasn't a great idea. :$

Next steps: I used apple pectin - can I melt this down with some water and make a syrup to add to drinks?  (Can't remem if it's thermoreversible). Perhaps now I'll try some of the other ideas. :D