• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Danny in Five to Ten

awbrig

That's a big question for me, and not one for which I have a ready answer.

I love the restaurant business, and hope to keep fulfilling my passion in this way for a long time. It's been a great way to feed my interests in food, music, people and art. I've enjoyed writing cookbooks (and enjoy writing in general) and hope to one day do more of that. I get enormous satisfaction from community work, and so far, the restaurant business has been an effective foundation from which to work in that realm -- primarily with hunger relief, neighborhood development and parks.

As you may know, all of our restaurants are within a short walk of one another. That helps us keep an eye on things and takes cross-city (or cross-country) commuting out of the equation. I'm impressed with the restaurateurs who have succeeded at that.

Above all, I'm committed to continuing to build an organization that is known for consistent excellence and warm hospitality; and one whose success is built upon humane, community-oriented business practices.