• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to get Matsutake (Pine) Mushrooms?

Ess

Hi,

I do know a few places where I can buy pine mushrooms. Online, and in stores as well, but as you probably know, it's extremely expensive. Which is why I haven't had any in a long time. But we really love these mushrooms and would love to purchase a large amount for a reasonable bulk price. But where can I get pine mushrooms for a reasonable price? And I know you can only get "reasonable" prices by buying in bulk (usually), and I do plan to.

I had just given up on pine mushrooms before. The only reason I'm even trying to get a reasonable price is because I've recently come across various (albeit a bit outdated) discussion forums and the like where random mushroom pickers would discuss prices with each other. These are not retail prices, but prices they were quoted by mushroom buyers (not restaurants, but professional mushroom buyers who work as the middleman). And they're talking as low as $5/lb (https://www.facebook.com/pg/Terrace-Mushroom-Prices-623652257656530/posts/?ref=page_internal)! This post in November 2016 says $9/lb: http://matsimanmessageboards.com/buyer-picker-messages/

I've also seen random comments on related websites talking similar prices. I'm not sure how reliable and how relevant these posts are, and $5/lb seems crazy to me. Prices apparently fluctuate greatly (that Facebook group seems to have different prices every day... but has also stopped updating) but have also fallen significantly over the years. I've seen lots of articles, and comments on these articles, of pickers complaining that it's not what it used to be and mushroom buyers are quoting really low prices these days. I would be willing to pay more than $5/lb obviously. And probably a picker's whole day's pick.

I just feel a bit put out because I live on the island right where these beautiful things are growing but I can't get them... Heck, I can see where these mushrooms are growing! (I can see the mountains from here...) :( There has to be someone with the right price out there? What does it take to be a professional mushroom buyer for a day?

Edited by Ess
tmi (log)

No interest in picking them for yourself? There must be an active mycological society on Vancouver Island. I know how secretive mycologists and especially professional pickers can be, but the mycological society in SF, to which I belonged for a few years, did have some generous individuals happy to make new friends and looking for company on excursions. Those prices you are quoting --under $10 a pound--sound far too good to be true. If they are in fact getting that low of a price they must be cutting deals with some restaurants for exclusive sales. And now that I think about it, I can't imagine pickers sharing info with each other, but maybe things are different up there. Anyway, good luck! I know how good Matsutakes are.

Yes,  of course I'm interested in picking myself,  but as you mentioned, it's a well-kept secret. We did find someone who we thought was nice. Said he wouldn't show us the pines but would show us chanterelles.  We don't like chanterelles but we thought it'd be a good start since we knew nothing at all except that we like the taste of pines! He said, "follow me and you'll leave with bucketfuls at the end of the day!" took us around on a wild goose chase and really took a toll on my older family members. It wouldn't have been bad if we were tired but achieved something. But we left tired and empty handed. Not a single finding. He didn't take us to his spots. He knew where they were. 

I have seen a couple ads of mushroom tour type things but they're hundreds of dollars and I doubt they'd show us the actual spots... We don't want this for commercial gain,  just want to be able to eat some pine mushrooms affordably... But people do it for a living and I guess I understand that they're being protective. 

You should check out the second link in my first post. Pickers there are sharing info with each other. Yeah,  the prices are way too good to be true,  but  I thought maybe it might be true for the professional mushroom buyers out there. Was wondering if anyone had any idea of the true price that the middleman is getting...

Thanks for your response! 

Edited by Ess
Typo (log)