• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Offship dining during Hawaii cruise

dans

On Maui, Mama's Fish House near Kahului is the one everybody talks about. Star Noodle in Lahaina has a Top Chef contestant running it and is supposed to be good. The big name joints in Wailea aren't worth it and are not uniquely Hawaian...they could be anywhere.

DH and I and another couple had dinner at Mama's a few years ago.

DH and I went one night and when the other couple indicated that they wanted to go there we tried to discourage them.  But they really wanted to see what everyone was talking about so the four of us went another night..

Well, we were very disappointed.  The food (in our opinion) was average at best.  The atmosphere was nice but I didn't think it was super special.  We were surprised that it was so well regarded because we didn't think it was anything put of the ordinairy and certainly not any better than many other places that were much less pricey.

Maybe we were there the wrong week, I don't know.  I do know that based on our experience we would not recommend it.

21 minutes ago, lindag said:

DH and I and another couple had dinner at Mama's a few years ago.

DH and I went one night and when the other couple indicated that they wanted to go there we tried to discourage them.  But they really wanted to see what everyone was talking about so the four of us went another night..

Well, we were very disappointed.  The food (in our opinion) was average at best.  The atmosphere was nice but I didn't think it was super special.  We were surprised that it was so well regarded because we didn't think it was anything put of the ordinairy and certainly not any better than many other places that were much less pricey.

Maybe we were there the wrong week, I don't know.  I do know that based on our experience we would not recommend it.

I've not eaten at Mama's, just heard the buzz. I've eaten all over the Wailea area...nothing special and very pricey. The Spago there is not up to mainland standards re food and service.

In general I'm not a fan of Hawaiian classic dishes. The "plate lunch" is a pile of sloppy carbohydrates with gravy and kahlua pork. Eh.

• Like 1