• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can Anyone Tell Me If This Is A Shun Knife

Porthos

Yes it is.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

The shape strikes my eye as oddly old-fashioned, like something out of my great-grandmother's kitchen drawer. What would be its intended use?

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

All righty, then. My first take was that it was a bit short for a carving knife, but I suppose that'd be carving as differentiated from slicing...you'd want something a bit nimbler for working around joints and such. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

More like: $170 knife for $4! Yay!

9 hours ago, TicTac said:

Aren't ya just a ray of sunshine on a dark stormy day!

Great deal OP; still curious as to the source...

Mea culpa.  It is a heck of a buy.

I was off my meds...:$

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TicTac said:

Great deal OP; still curious as to the source...

Sorry, @TicTac, I amnaged to miss the question the first time. I found it at Megathrift in Rialto, CA. It's the same store I picked up a Wusthof 6" Classic Chef's Knife for $2.00 last November.  That knife went to my wife at her request.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 3 weeks later...

So today I began working on the edge. There are so many nicks in the edge it will likely take me 1 1/2- 2 hours, using my 220 stone - the coarsest stone I have, to remove enough metal to get to a clean edge. The appearance of the nicks are as if  someone took this knife and kept striking its edge against the edge of another knife, like a poorly-fought duel.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

14 hours ago, Porthos said:

So today I began working on the edge. There are so many nicks in the edge it will likely take me 1 1/2- 2 hours, using my 220 stone - the coarsest stone I have, to remove enough metal to get to a clean edge. The appearance of the nicks are as if  someone took this knife and kept striking its edge against the edge of another knife, like a poorly-fought duel.

Still a good investment, but it makes me want to harm the person who was responsible for abusing this instrument so. 

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

3 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Still a good investment, but it makes me want to harm the person who was responsible for abusing this instrument so. 

Really?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.