• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Madeleines

maggiethecat

I used regular dried breadcrumbs that you buy in a supermarket. I think fresh crumbs might be too fresh to crisp, but I don't really know.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Just got an e-mail that WS shipped my pans. Now I wish I'd sprung for the pricier shipping, I could be making the potatoes that much sooner. Oh well, maybe by the weekend when there's more time, anyway.

If more of us valued food & cheer & song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R. Tolkien

I don't have madelaine pans and no space to store them; however, I do have those cast-iron corn stick pans (used to make corn shaped corn bread).  Will these work?

Great idea -- why not? I'd just make sure they were very well greased and check the cooking time;they might brown faster in cast iron. (Others have reported good results using muffin tins.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Just got an e-mail that WS shipped my pans. Now I wish I'd sprung for the pricier shipping, I could be making the potatoes that much sooner.  Oh well, maybe by the weekend when there's more time, anyway.

Mine are at the Post Office but I can't get them until after 5 PM tonight! How is that for torture! :sad:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just got an e-mail that WS shipped my pans. Now I wish I'd sprung for the pricier shipping, I could be making the potatoes that much sooner.  Oh well, maybe by the weekend when there's more time, anyway.

Mine are at the Post Office but I can't get them until after 5 PM tonight! How is that for torture! :sad:

Mine arrived yesterday while I was at work. Going to go buy the potatoes and extra garlic before the snow starts today. If the snow gets too bad for even Buffalo at least I'll have something to do and eat.

Did you make it to the Post Office yet and have you made the potatoes?

If more of us valued food & cheer & song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R. Tolkien

Mine arrived yesterday while I was at work. Going to go buy the potatoes and extra garlic before the snow starts today. If the snow gets too bad for even Buffalo at least I'll have something to do and eat.

Did you make it to the Post Office yet and have you made the potatoes?

I made it to the post office and have my pan (and a beautiful Wustof Classic 8" chef's knife!) but our family is in the middle of various health crises so I have not had a chance to play with any of my new toys. Am hoping to steal a few hours over the weekend to have a go.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

So, it was 6 A.M. this morning, Sunday, that I finally got around to these. I was also in the process of clearing the 'fridge and found some very recently grated parmesan leftover from another dish. I hate waste - so the parmesan got tossed into the garlic mashed potatoes - yummy! Now, I want a madeleine pan small enough to fit into my convection/toaster oven! Most of the time, with just the two of us, a small pan of these would make sense. Next time, I will probably leave them to brown a bit more. Tater tots! :raz:

gallery_6903_111_1106487120.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, they look great! Aren't these just amazing? And I think I'll make another batch and try freezing some. I'm with you. Most of the time it's just two of us and a smaller madelaine pan would be great.

I'm trying the parmesan cheese next time.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Finally made them last night. Used the Epicurious Garlic mashed potatoes recipe from this thread (wisely made an extra head of garlic for the kitchen browsers). And used Wegmans' roasted garlic breadcrumbs for the pan. Wow! Can't wait to do it again.

i made these a week or two ago (see my posts upthread), but am now reporting on the result.

pretty darn good. :)

very easy to make. the garlic mashed potato recipie that i used was great. i hadn't seen any breadcrumbs in the supermarket that didn't look extremely processed, so i decided to try cornmeal instead (a very light coating).

one of the madeliene pans i used was nonstick, so i'm not sure the addition of the cornmeal or breadcrumbs made/would have made a difference. in the nonstick one (which was for tiny madeleines) they clung slightly to the tray. (SO had dusted them with the cornmeal; they were barely dusted, before i put the potatoes in them i thought they needed more, but didn't attend to them).

they were terrific with the reduction sauce that was made to accompany the meal. there were a few left over, and i popped them in the fridge, but they didn't reheat well at all (in the microwave). if i had a couple more, i would try reheating in the toaster oven.

cheers :)

hc