• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 2)

Dejah

IMG_0228.JPG

Seeded Rye, Uncured Corned Beef, Baby Swiss and Homemade Russian Dressing

IMG_0229.JPG

Lightly Toasted Rye with a smear of Russian Dressing and Baby Swiss sandwiching slices of Uncured Corned Beef...

IMG_0230.JPG

...wrapped in foil and baked in a 400F oven for 15 minutes...

IMG_0231.JPG

...served with potato salad.

• Like 18

No photo, but chicken patty made with ground chicken and pesto, with bucatini pasta with a little more pesto. Pretty uninspiring, chicken ended up dry, and my stomach wasn't thrilled. :(

Heated up leftover tomato based meat sauce for housemate and kiddo with more bucatini, that looked tastier but got eaten too fast for photos.

• Like 5

For tonight’s dinner, I found some super thick and super cheap grocery store pork chops in the freezer and dug out a Tyler Florence recipe I’d been wanting to try.  It was for Thick Pork Chops with Spiced Apples and Raisins.  Turned out very well.  Chops after browning and roasting:

DSCN6363.JPG

Big pot of green beans that cooked for a few hours:

DSCN6362.JPG

Wish I’d had some tiny new potatoes to put in them!  Plated with sautéed squash and onions for Mr. Kim (I had rice, as I detest squash):

DSCN6364.JPG

• Like 18

Partially a fridge clearance dinner tonight.

Exhibit A:

cauli.jpg

Stir fried cauliflower with 湖南腊肉 - hú nán là ròu, cured, smoked pork from Hunan province, made by a dear Hunanese friend who lives there - a gift. The meat was steamed, then fried. Coriander leaf/cilantro. Simple.

Exhibit B:

rice.jpg

Fried rice with black garlic, brown shiitake mushrooms, red chilli, yellow egg, white rice and yes, yellow blanched garlic chives. The rice was still steaming hot, hence any lack of clarity in the picture.

Still leftovers for breakfast or lunch tomorrow.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 19

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Back home and on to the dinner thread !

He who must be feed hasn't had a steak in three weeks, and it's too hot to be in the kitchen ! Yay for a barbie.IMG_3194.JPG

A mixed grill of t-bone, roast pork and apple sausages, bacon, corn, mushrooms and zucchini. Served with a salad of spinach and rocket, tiny tomatoes and ripped bocconcini.

IMG_3193.JPG

• Like 13

Tri-tip, cooked SV at 131F for 8 hours then torch-seared.  This had been dry-brined just before being vacuum packed and frozen.  It was just a choice grade, but this had to be the most tender tri-tip I have ever had.  I could cut it with a fork.  Served with arugula, simply sauteed in EVO, salad and the last of the Opolo Zin.

tt-arugula.jpg

• Like 16

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Tonight, pork schnitzel with warm potato salad, a very simple green salad with lettuce, endive, apples, cucumber and red onion and a little left over squash soup from a couple of days ago.

DSC02058.jpg

DSC02059.jpg

Yesterday, a probably inauthentic but delicious version of kung pao shrimp ( from a very old Food and Wine recipe) with rice and stir fried asparagus. 

DSC02053.jpg

• Like 17

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

There has been much talk recently both on eG and elsewhere about wedge salads. I am obviously lead a much too sheltered life. I had never heard of a wedge salad never mind eaten one.  So I thought it time to rectify the situation.image.jpeg

My research indicates that plating is not my forte.  I do not think it likely that a wedge salad will become a regular occurrence. Nothing wrong with the ingredients. I like them all.  But I found it challenging to eat and it seems to defy the idea that the dressing should coat each leaf in the salad bowl. Some mouthfuls consisted of nothing but bare iceberg lettuce.  Should I find myself presented with any such salad in the future I will know to chop up the lettuce and toss everything together before attempting to eat it.  

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

There has been much talk recently both on eG and elsewhere about wedge salads. I am obviously lead a much too sheltered life. I had never heard of a wedge salad never mind eaten one.  So I thought it time to rectify the situation.image.jpeg

My research indicates that plating is not my forte.  I do not think it likely that a wedge salad will become a regular occurrence. Nothing wrong with the ingredients. I like them all.  But I found it challenging to eat and it seems to defy the idea that the dressing should coat each leaf in the salad bowl. Some mouthfuls consisted of nothing but bare iceberg lettuce.  Should I find myself presented with any such salad in the future I will know to chop up the lettuce and toss everything together before attempting to eat it.  

I've never eaten one either.  But, I've always thought that they seemed like a pain to eat.  Thanks for taking one for the team and confirming that ;) .  Yours does look delicious, though.  Just the thing on a hot summer evening.

Tuna steaks and fried rice last night.

photo.JPG

• Like 19

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

There has been much talk recently both on eG and elsewhere about wedge salads. I am obviously lead a much too sheltered life. I had never heard of a wedge salad never mind eaten one.  So I thought it time to rectify the situation.

Try eating it with some dressing on the side. Then you can add it to the wedge as you make your way through it. No more "dry" bites of naked lettuce. 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

28 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Try eating it with some dressing on the side. Then you can add it to the wedge as you make your way through it. No more "dry" bites of naked lettuce. 

Thanks but no.   Tried it -- didn't think much of it -- so many more things to explore.  

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I've never eaten a wedge salad either, although I love icebergs so perhaps I should try one....nah.

Thai green curry with chicken, potato and snow peas. Served with jasmine rice and mango relish.IMG_3197.JPG

• Like 13

Today I made some masabaha, which is a variant of hummus, where the chickpeas are cooked until buttery-soft and left whole, then mixed with tahini and lemon using a fork, then served hot.

I also bought some wonderful thick and fluffy whole grain pita breads. I consider myself very lucky to live near this bakery, which makes the best pitas I had in Israel (They make only pita - one type from white flour and the other from whole wheat and rye).

20170208_150654.jpg20170208_150729.jpg20170208_151259.jpg20160401_114638.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 18

~ Shai N.

My GF had a hankering for risotto tonight, so I made saffron risotto and breaded chicken thighs with carrots and a bit of kale from my parents' garden that I'd blanched and frozen a few months ago. No pics, because I just didn't think of it.

Don't usually do anything "chef-ly," though, so I thought I'd mention it. :P

• Like 9

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎06 at 6:20 PM, robirdstx said:

Seeded Rye, Uncured Corned Beef, Baby Swiss and Homemade Russian Dressing

Lightly Toasted Rye with a smear of Russian Dressing and Baby Swiss sandwiching slices of Uncured Corned Beef...

...wrapped in foil and baked in a 400F oven for 15 minutes...

The Reuben is on the short list of my all-time favorite sandwiches... I like them slathered in butter and pan cooked like a grilled cheese but I doubt I'd turn my nose up at an unbuttered, baked variation.

Edit: had to correct this post, just realized there's no sauerkraut... my apologies for accusing it of being a Reuben.

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks but no.   Tried it -- didn't think much of it -- so many more things to explore.  

The wedge salad had to be the creation of a restaurant prep cook... "I could spend time picking through this head of lettuce and tearing it into bite-sized pieces or I could just remove the core, cut it into a few quick wedges, convince the boss it's cool and innovative and go for a coffee break."

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

The Reuben is on the short list of my all-time favorite sandwiches... I like them slathered in butter and pan cooked like a grilled cheese but I doubt I'd turn my nose up at an unbuttered, baked variation.

The wedge salad had to be the creation of a restaurant prep cook... "I could spend time picking through this head of lettuce and tearing it into bite-sized pieces or I could just remove the core, cut it into a few quick wedges, convince the boss it's cool and innovative and go for a coffee break."

Love it.  I wanted to say something very similar but couldn't quite find the words.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog