• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 2)

Dejah

44 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

No chopped cucumber salad?!?

:D:D:D You have an excellent memory. Thanks for the laugh!

Mrs. C just started the new, revised Weight Watchers, so I expect plenty of veggies in our meals. Probably not as many cukes as when the boys were young.

Edited by C. sapidus
Formatting (log)
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Mrs. C just started the new, revised Weight Watchers, so I expect plenty of veggies in our meals. Probably not as many cukes as when the boys were young.

Ahhhh yes.  The eternal cucumbers. 

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:54 AM, David Ross said:

I've been working on this dish for a piece I'm writing about our local craft beer trade.  It took about seven attempts to get the right balance between the ale in the marinade, the dressing for the salad and the right oil temperature and coating.  But I think it's where I want it.  The best part, eating all my test dishes for dinner.

Crispy Fried Asian Wings with Sweet Soy Glaze and Shredded Iceberg-

IMG_1564.JPG

The story and recipe are posted at https://www.craftbeer.com/recipes/crispy-fried-asian-wings-with-ipa

It took quite a lot of testing to choose the right beer.  I wanted something a little bitter but some hints of sweetness.  And in the NW, we are favoring hoppy beers right now but I didn't want such strong hop flavors to knock out the delicate soy flavors and light crispiness of the batter.  While I show an iceberg lettuce salad in the photo, it's actually better with shredded cabbage for more texture and to stand up to the chicken.  I was going to add some sliced pickled red bird chilies but they had gone off so had to throw the bottle out, but some sort of fresh chile I think would be nice.

• Like 5

Looks interesting.  I looked at the batter recipe because I have some wings I was going to fry for Superbowl and I think there is a typo  "11 cups of beer"?  Probably "1"....that way there should be some beer left for the chef! 

cheers

• Like 3

1 hour ago, C. sapidus said:

Hey ....do the smashed Chinese cucumbers....if you just use some kosher salt, white wine vinegar and some white pepper it's 0 points

add some sugar it may take it up to 1  if that.....

the excellent memory is from being a reference librarian for many years and knowing who I can reach out to for information,,,,,,,love to all

Tell Mrs. C we are with her........

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

26 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Greek salad; lamb kofta and pasta with kale topped with Parmesan.  Pretty simple and the kofta's were from the freezer :DDSC01808.jpg

OHHHHH is that bucatini?

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

18 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Yes it is. :x

I ADORE  bucatini........

and even better with roasted cauliflower and brown butter braised broccoli........

• Like 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

5 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Looks interesting.  I looked at the batter recipe because I have some wings I was going to fry for Superbowl and I think there is a typo  "11 cups of beer"?  Probably "1"....that way there should be some beer left for the chef! 

cheers

Yikes I'll check with the editor tommorrow 

3 hours ago, David Ross said:

Yikes I'll check with the editor tommorrow 

Along with the 11 c beer in the batter, you might wish to mention the 21 t ginger in the salad as well.

The batter sounds like a good tempura recipe I recently used, but it called for seltzer water instead of beer. Yours sounds more flavorful.

ETA - There are also two separate mentions of 1 T sliced green onion in the salad ingredients and nothing in the instructions for a divided use of them.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

Fish & spinach tagine. I tried to replicate the super-recipe at Saveur du Poisson (a.k.a. Popeye) in Tangier, Morocco; used angler fish and home-made chermoula and harissa, as well as preserved lemons. Dish did not come out 100% like the original, but very close. If you like fish and want to try something other than fry or grill, this is a must-make.

20170204_152935.jpg

• Like 16

image.jpeg

Not a single denizen of my freezer was harmed in the making of this meal.  Duck breast which was Sous Vided and then seared in my Darto pan. Roasted mini peppers, onion and tomatoes.  I had capers ready to add but got distracted and they got poured down the sink!   And I swear this was before my very first sip of wine.   I also posted this on the Sous Vide topic. 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Fuchsia Dunlop recipes tonight.

Luoyang black bean chicken: Marinated chunks of chicken thighs with soy sauce and salt. Deep-fried the chicken until golden. Stir-fry sliced ginger and a whole head of halved garlic cloves until soft. Add fermented black beans, Shaoxing rice wine, and then chile flakes. Add chicken and rice vinegar and stir-fry until done. Finish with scallion greens and sesame oil. Served over jasmine rice.

Dry-fried green beans (vegetarian version): Deep-fried the green beans to soften. Briefly stir-fried dried chiles, Sichuan peppercorns, sliced garlic, ginger, and scallion whites, and then added the green beans. First time making this (usually make the version with ground pork) and it was simpler and equally good.

Fortunately Mrs. C had saved some WW points for dinner.

LuoyangChix_201702-1.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus
Clarity (log)
  • Like 14