• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 2)

Dejah

1 hour ago, Jacksoup said:

@Kim Shook have to agree with you on pork belly and bone marrow.  Too much fat for me.  I'm not anorexic or anything close to that but the texture is just off putting to me.

Yes, the only serious hunks of animal fat I enjoy are the crispy rendered kinds like bacon cooked just right, or the fat cap on a nice rib eye steak that has been sizzle charred over charcoal. Those are pretty heavenly, but when I get to the white solid hunks of fat, I leave those on the plate.

I also like to cut the fat off ham, either country or city style and render that slowly until I have prized crispy brown bits. Then I cook the ham in the rendered fat. Ham is always best cooked in its own fat to me. I select hams for roasting by looking for a generous fat cap, and I love the crispy bits, but leave the solid white stuff again.

I like the marrow in chicken thigh bones, but you need strong teeth to get at it, and it's not really that fatty. I've never had beef marrow, and I'd try it, but it does look fattier than I would enjoy. 

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

I'm a big fan of marrow, but I prefer it on toast. The textural contrast moderates the richness nicely. FWIW, marrow fat is -- surprisingly -- largely unsaturated. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

9 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

shain – your cauliflower au gratin is gorgeous!  I love the even browning on the topping.  I never can get that!

Thank you! I toast the bread crumbs with butter in the pan to give the, a head start on browning.

Your meals all look great. Is that Indian sev in the salad?

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

Big Bone Marrow fan here.  I agree with the richness comment, which is why I like to prepare it a la Fat Duck style with a Parsley/Red Onion/Caper/Lemon Vinaigrette salad on the side, with toasts (a requirement, as mentioned above!).

• Like 2

I too usually detest fat unless it's crisp. Yesterday I posted a picture of some Dongpo Pork which I described as "beautiful". I meant it looked beautiful, but I certainly didn't eat it. It is just wobbly pork fat in a barbecue sauce, if you want my honest opinion.

Yet, I love bone marrow. Although I agree with @TicTac above. It needs a sharp accompaniment. At some point this year, I plan a visit to England and will be heading for Fergus Henderson's St. John restaurant for his roast bone marrow and parsley salad.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@Kim Shook  I'm so glad you're back :)  I must make those onion burgers--probably next week.  And, your daughter's birthday meal looks amazing.  I've made beef bone marrow here at the house a couple of times.  We loved it.  Like someone upthread said, we liked it on toast and made some kind of a parsley/caper thing to go with it.  

@liuzhou  I think I would skip out, too, if you fed me that plate of yummy pasta.  

Venison stew last night

photo.JPG

• Like 14

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I too usually detest fat unless it's crisp. Yesterday I posted a picture of some Dongpo Pork which I described as "beautiful". I meant it looked beautiful, but I certainly didn't eat it. It is just wobbly pork fat in a barbecue sauce, if you want my honest opinion.

Yet, I love bone marrow. Although I agree with @TicTac above. It needs a sharp accompaniment. At some point this year, I plan a visit to England and will be heading for Fergus Henderson's St. John restaurant for his roast bone marrow and parsley salad.

I think I erred, and liuzhou is correct.  It was Fergus's spot that inspired my salad.  Not sure why I had Fat Duck on the brain....early morning pre-chaga tea brain farts perhaps :P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shain said:

Thank you! I toast the bread crumbs with butter in the pan to give the, a head start on browning.

Your meals all look great. Is that Indian sev in the salad?

Blush.  Nope - just this stuff: Rice noodles.  A crunchy alternative to croutons.  I've been putting Chinese restaurant-style fried noodles on my salads for years.  Don't know where I first got the idea from.

• Like 2

@Shelby We were on the same wave length last night. Venison stew here too. With a salad and some bread I baked yesterday.DSC02041.jpg

DSC02045.jpg

• Like 15

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

16 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Kielbasa and onions, scalloped potatoes and peas.

HC

IMG_1016.JPGIMG_1017.JPGIMG_1018.JPGIMG_1020.JPG

ALMOST the same thing last night but Sheboyga brats instead of kielbasa and added a small salad, too.

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I put together a recipe for Tamale Pie wanting to mimic the Tamale Pie I had as child. I did a bit of checking for seasoning on the internet and then wrote out a recipe. I made a couple of adjustments to the recipe as I cooked it.

I favor simpler comfort food dinners on Friday nights. This hit the mark. More importanly, my DW liked it and will want it again in the future.

TamalePie.jpg

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 17

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 1/30/2017 at 5:05 PM, mm84321 said:

THE best lamb I've had in this quarter century of life..

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Brings back some fond memories. I used to love having goat cooked in the same manner.

• Like 2

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

- W. C. Fields

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:52 PM, C. sapidus said:

Elder son came home for a visit and girlfriends were elsewhere, so it was just the four of us. I can't remember the last time we had a meal with just the basic family unit.

Camarones a la pimienta (peppered shrimp) over Mexican red rice. Sauteed white onion, garlic, and sliced jalapenos, added shrimp and lots of black pepper, and finished with a dollop of mayonnaise. Rice was made with pureed tomato, chicken stock, white onion, garlic, roasted Anaheim chiles, and cilantro.

Shrimp_CremaPalmitos-1.jpg

Crema de palmitos (pureed hearts of palm soup). Sauteed three bunches of chopped scallion whites and garlic, added chopped hearts of palm, pureed and heated with chicken stock, and finished with the chopped scallion greens. I had mine with crumbled feta cheese.

Shrimp_CremaPalmitos-2.jpg

No chopped cucumber salad?!?

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 1/28/2017 at 7:41 PM, gfweb said:

@mm84321 Google isn't helpful with lomo; says its beef tenderloin in spanish.

I spent about six months in Argentina with an ex (who was Argentine) many years back. Google has it right in this case. Lomo is a cut from the tenderloin. I used to love getting beef tenderloin sandwiches there called lomitos. Lomo de cerdo is pork tenderloin. To add to the confusion, chorizo is not only a sausage, but also a cut of beef (iirc, it's sirloin, but their meat is cut differently than here in the US so it can be a little hard to know for sure).

• Like 1

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

- W. C. Fields