• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 2)

Dejah

8 hours ago, cakewalk said:

(Psssst. It was a joke.)

A friend of mine threatened to call his punk band The Kosher Cheeseburgers, but he didn't think enough people would get it. 

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I can't imagine (because I surely wont try it! ;) ) being able to taste much scallop under Gruyere cheese...

Shellfish especially, are delicate.  It would be a shame to blanket their (hopefully) fresh flavour with cheese of any sort.

Made one of my favorite salads this week, and it got me to thinking it would be a nice addition to the groaning boards of chips, dips and snacks on Superbowl Sunday.   I sort of made it up without really referencing any cookbooks.  Just blanch the beans in salted water for about 3 minutes then into a bowl of ice to chill.  The dressing is olive oil, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, capers, tarragon, salt and pepper.  Garnished with chopped hard-boiled egg and these crispy little red onions that I but in a bulk carton at the local Asian store.

Green Beans Vinaigrette-

IMG_1569.JPG

• Like 14

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

I can't imagine (because I surely wont try it! ;) ) being able to taste much scallop under Gruyere cheese...

Shellfish especially, are delicate.  It would be a shame to blanket their (hopefully) fresh flavour with cheese of any sort.

I agree with this rule, but rules are meant to be broken. I've had some pretty tasty oysters broiled with butter, garlic and parm.

• Like 4

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Fish and cheese has always seemed like a very unappetizing combination to me. When shellfish pasta dishes are served I don't sprinkle any cheese on. Shellfish risotto has always seemed bizarre to me. The only exception, at least according to my own tastebuds, is when it comes to shrimp in Mexican food. A little melty cheese in a crispy shrimp taco isn't bad. 

I will admit to having tried the aforementioned Mexican pairing (though it was grilled octopus) with some melted (very mild) cheese, but again, it did nothing for me.

Shellfish risotto itself has never excited me, but a good mushroom risotto (or a smoked duck risotto) with some seared scallops placed atop is pretty awesome (note: I do not put cheese in either of these risotto preparations).

Kubbeh Selek (Kibbeh in beet soup)-
Dough made from semolina and bulgur. Filling of mushrooms, chickpeas, onions, cilantro, parsley and baharat. 

Soup is made with onion, plenty of celery, garlic, chili, beets, baharat (mostly allspice, cinnamon, pepper and cumin), paprika, parsley.

Whole wheat couscous.

20170131_195420.jpg20170131_195532.jpg20170131_200149.jpg

• Like 12

~ Shai N.

7 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Baked chicken with shawarma spices.  Baked sweet potatoes as a side

Love your cast iron skillet.  It looks perfectly seasoned.  Nothing wrong with the chicken either.  

This looks a bit like train wreck but it tasted good. Budin Azteca from Diana Kennedy's Cuisines of Mexico. I used this book a lot about 30 or more years ago and then sort of forgot it. For some reason I recently pulled it out and started reading - so, dinner tonight. Layers of chicken, tomato sauce, chili peppers and onions, cheddar cheese, sour cream and tortillas. With salad.

DSC02039.jpg

Last night - what I call "Polly's pork chops" - this being how my mother always cooked pork chops. Pork chops browned, then braised with thyme, tomato sauce and lots of onions. She served them with rice - I prefer mashed potatoes. But the "glop" (her term) has to go all over the accompanying starch. With roasted broccoli.

DSC02033.jpg

• Like 15

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

The pan was crusted over with the lemon slices and juice but cleaned up very quickly.   Just your basic Lodge pan.  After using my Darto carbon steel pan last night and seeing some specks of blue metal after pulling out the fish and after over a dozen layers of seasoning I realize just had hardy cast iron is.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Had a batch of dough on the go since yesterday so baked a couple of baguettes and baked a couple of pizzas.

One for Matt and one for Moe and I to share.

Pizza February 1st, 2017.jpg

Ours was topped with fresh mozzarella di bufala, mushrooms and pepperoni (made by a friend of a friend).

Pizza February 1st, 2017 2.jpg

Triple like! Now I need to make pizza!

• Like 2

It is now the 6th day of the Spring Festival which begins with Chinese New Year.

Here are some of the dinners (and lunches) eaten over the holiday so far. All home cooking.

It wasn't really polite or convenient to photograph every dish, so group photos instead.

mmexport1485960977961.jpg

mmexport1485675182802.jpg

mmexport1485675153079.jpg

mmexport1485675156792.jpg

mmexport1485675160530.jpg

mmexport1485675171978.jpg

mmexport1485675175181.jpg

The only dish I seem to have captured on its own is this beautiful Dongpo Pork (东坡肉 dōng pō ròu) from Hangzhou in eastern China.

dongpo pork.jpg

Nine more days of this to go!

• Like 24

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Hang in there @liuzhou. You can do it.  Although When I think of Christmas dinner day after day after day it does sound challenging.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

shain – your cauliflower au gratin is gorgeous!  I love the even browning on the topping.  I never can get that!  And, Anna, yours was lovely, too!

Scuba – I love the idea of tahini broccoli!  I almost always have a half a jar in the fridge and will use it next time we have broccoli!

Regarding the dairy with seafood thing:  I don’t mind dairy, but I’m not at all crazy about seafood and tomatoes.  Odd, I know.  Bruce posted a recipe some time back for Pink Shrimp Sauce that I adore, but the tomato flavor isn’t at all pronounced.  And, Tic Tac, the way you feel about cheese overpowering shellfish is the way I feel about bell peppers with shellfish.  Once the peppers are added, I feel you might as well have used “Krab”.

Dinner was the other night was Oklahoma Fried Onion burgers:

DSCN6303.JPG

This was a “Cook’s Country” recipe that I’ve been wanting to make for a long time.  The onions are sliced very thin and salted and drained.  They are then divided into 4 “patties” and the burger meat is smooshed down on top of them.  They are griddle cooked until the onions are browned and then flipped and finished cooking.  These were every bit as good as I anticipated!  Great onion/beef flavor. 

Served on brioche buns with green beans and fries.  The fries were done in my new electric skillet – I’m really loving that thing.  They were perfect.  Also a simple wedge salad:

DSCN6305.JPG

DSCN6304.JPG

The 27th was our daughter’s birthday.  She chose the restaurant Graffiato – fairly new to Richmond, but one of the better Washington restaurants.  It is small plates that are shared.  Wonderful meal!  We had charred Brussels sprouts with pancetta, maple yogurt and hardboiled egg – one of the best things on the table:

DSCN6311.JPG

Veal Saltimbocca w/ prosciutto, sage, capers and Marsala:

DSCN6313.JPG

Herb Tagliatelle (house made pasta) w/ Wagu beef Bolognaise and Parmesan:

DSCN6314.JPG

Butternut squash agnolotti w/ sage, fall mushrooms, saba and hazelnuts:

DSCN6315.JPG

Saba was a new ingredient to me.  I did some research and it is cooked down and reduced grape must - and must (which was also new to me) is freshly pressed fruit juice containing the skins, seeds and stems of the fruit.  This was incredible.  Despite it having mushrooms on top that I had to scrape off and not really caring for squash, it was the most delicious thing we had.  The pasta was wonderfully tender and the sauce so good.  I need to find some of that saba – I’m convinced that that was what made the sauce so amazing.

White pizza with figs, cheeses (can’t remember which) and toasted hazelnuts:

DSCN6317.JPG

We tried bone marrow for the first time.  It was prepared with bacon, preserved lemon and pistachios:

DSCN6316.JPG

It was…fine.  If you had a mother who used to overcook thin steaks under a broiler in the 1960’s, you’ve tasted this when you gnawed the resulting fat and bone.  Fatty and beefy.  I’m not a big fan of gobs of fat (the reason that I’m leery of ordering pork belly at restaurants – some of them are just too fatty for me), so even though the flavor was good, the texture wasn’t my favorite.  Obviously, my dinner companions disagreed:

DSCN6318.JPG

:D

Tonight started with salad:

DSCN6358.JPG

Chicken Kiev and rice:

DSCN6360.JPG

The chicken was frozen:$.  I used to make Kiev a lot, but I haven’t done it in years and can’t imagine I’d ever bother with it again.  I never did a very good job of closing up the chicken and my butter would just ooze out the whole time it cooked.  This particular brand is actually raw chicken and very good. 

• Like 20