• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 2)

Dejah

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker  

very interesting

My take ?

SV meats and thighs are very nice for all sorts of dishes.

not so much for crspy..

Id never SV a Ck or a Tk w skin

poultry Sk  does not enjoy SV

it does however enjoy the CSB  on steam bake

as a more or less a Poultry Religious Experience

bird religious , not Us

I don't anova my thighs because I like to.  I live where what passes for a supermarket doesn't sell fewer than ten thighs at a time.  Single old ladies are not their target demographic.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Tonight tater tots, grilled lamb, baguette, and thirty second green beans.  Wine:  Caroso Montepulciano D'Abruzzo.  A wine above my pay grade.  The lamb, tater tots, and green beans passed far too soon but I savored the bread and ruby red Montepulciano.

"A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread -- and Thou."  I don't have a thou, and not sure how to cook one if I'd had.  Nonetheless I spent some pleasant moments with the baguette and Montepulciano.

• Like 10

When am I ever going to be able to use the kitchen again...sigh. It's only day one of a forecast three day heatwave.

Peach and turkey salad with baby gem lettuce, rocket, nasturtium leaves, spring onions and walnuts. The dressing is a preserved lemon vinaigrette, some dark German rye bread to mop.

IMG_3206.JPG

The salad was followed by a perfectly ripe Calypso mango, and because I seem to have grown a sweet tooth, a piece of Greek baklava.

IMG_3208.JPG

• Like 19

Black beans and rice with grilled flank steak.   I'm a sucker for the carbs so the black beans and rice was the standout for me.  Homemade pickled chipotles, onions and carrots were served as a condiment.  Love the sweet hot smoky counterpoint to a rich dish 

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 18

I don't know what possessed me to make these on a 42 degree day, given the amount of time they require you to stand over a giant wok of steaming water, but these are a banh beo/banh bot loc mashup; Vietnamese tapioca starch dumplings, with spicy minced pork and prawns, shallot oil, chilli/garlic/fish sauce and lime to dress, and deep fried crispy shallots.

They look like nothing once cooked, since the tapioca starch cooks to completely translucent, but you turn them over on themselves with a spoon, make sure you get all the garnishes on, and it's down the hatch in one happy mouthful.

IMG_2384.JPG

IMG_2385.JPG

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 18

On February 9, 2017 at 10:03 PM, Kim Shook said:

Mr. Kim had a poker game tonight and I had to go out to my mother’s to do her meds, so it ended up being a Wawa night:

DSCN6371.JPG

I dare anyone to post a trashier meal.

WaWa and tastykake is not trashy in the least. You want trashy go to 7-11

• Like 7

I was home all day yesterday so i baked bread and made Marcella Hazan's Bolognese sauce.

DSC02061.jpg

DSC02063.jpg

A slightly adapted Poulet a la Normade from a NY Times recipe of a couple months ago. Chicken, onions and apples flambeed with brandy (it was supposed to be Calvados or cognac but I have neither) and cooked in hard cider. With rice and a salad that is not in the picture. I imagined my mother looking at this with disapproval as one of her mantras was "Never have an all white  plate of food." Maybe the browned chicken skin would save me?
DSC02068.jpg

• Like 13

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook

the M.Dew  isn't helping matters.  Dr.Pepper might.

and some onions on that dog.

its the TT's that got you by.

But, but...I HATE Dr. P and raw onions!

Dinner last night started with salad and pickly stuff:

DSCN6373.JPG

DSCN6374.JPG

With a ham slice coated with orange marmalade and ginger and some fixed-up canned beans:

DSCN6375.JPG

• Like 12

So many wonderful dinner dishes in this thread.  A very easy steak dish--New York strip that I sear for 3 minutes each side in a cast iron pan, then into a 425 oven for another 4 minutes per side for a total of 14 minutes total cooking.  My go-to easy red wine sauce--saute shallots or onion in a bit of butter, add 1 cup red wine, garlic, bay leaf, black peppercorns, rosemary and thyme and reduce by about 1/2.  Then in goes about 1 1/2 cups rich beef stock and cook down again, then strain.  In goes a little more butter and I thicken the sauce with Wondra and strain again.  The "frizzled" onions are something I did back in 2001 for one of my dishes on MasterChef USA on PBS.  Yellow onion cut into thin slices, then soak in milk.  Dredge in your favorite flour mix, then in 350 oil and deep-fry about 5 minutes.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika.  I used to just serve big steaks, but now prefer them sliced.

NY Steak with Red Wine Sauce and Fried Onion Rings.JPG

• Like 22

I decided to try tackling puff pastry for the first time. Burekas where the pastry of choice, as I assumed they will be tasty even if the dough will turn out a flop.

Burekas are very popular in Israel, mostly filled with cheese or potatoes. Sadly most are made with margarine and served cold and old :( 

My filling of choice for those burekas was kashkaval and goat-milk feta, with an egg to hold itself.

20170202_214242.jpg20170204_114152.jpg

I am quite happy with the result, I think they puffed nicely and definitely taste better with butter (what doesn't?). I need to practice my folding some more and try to make croissants some day.
However, I was apparently too generous with the filling, as I had some overflow. All for the better, as the browned and slightly crisp cheese made a great cook's treat!

20170204_120437.jpg20170204_120521.jpg

Served with boiled egg, pickles, tomatoes and home made zchug (of the red kind).

20170204_121020.jpg20170204_122648.jpg

• Like 23

~ Shai N.

While running some errands the other day, I noticed an Asian restaurant in a little strip center not far from our home. I looked them up online, saw that we were within their free delivery zone ($20 min. order), they had many good reviews on Yelp and their lunch menu was good through 4:00. Not feeling like cooking today, I called and placed our order and we had an early dinner delivered in 20 minutes, all for $30 including tip. Way too much food, so lots of leftovers to be had in the next couple of days!

We ordered two appetizers: Pan-fried Pork Dumplings (10) and B-B-Q Ribs (5)

IMG_0240.JPG

The Dumplings got a bit steamed in the styrofoam but were very good. These are the leftovers.

IMG_0244.JPG

We did not even touch the ribs. They should be good reheated tomorrow.

The Mains came with soup, an egg roll and rice.

We both chose the Hot and Sour Soup.

IMG_0239.JPG

The Eggrolls were full of pork and vegetables.

IMG_0241.JPG

I chose the Chicken with Garlic Sauce with Fried Rice.

IMG_0242.JPG

And my husband had the Mongolian Beef with Steamed Rice.

IMG_0243.JPG

• Like 23

18 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

While running some errands the other day, I noticed an Asian restaurant in a little strip center not far from our home. I looked them up online, saw that we were within their free delivery zone ($20 min. order), they had many good reviews on Yelp and their lunch menu was good through 4:00. Not feeling like cooking today, I called and placed our order and we had an early dinner delivered in 20 minutes, all for $30 including tip. Way too much food, so lots of leftovers to be had in the next couple of days!

We ordered two appetizers: Pan-fried Pork Dumplings (10) and B-B-Q Ribs (5)

IMG_0240.JPG

The Dumplings got a bit steamed in the styrofoam but were very good. These are the leftovers.

IMG_0244.JPG

We did not even touch the ribs. They should be good reheated tomorrow.

The Mains came with soup, an egg roll and rice.

We both chose the Hot and Sour Soup.

IMG_0239.JPG

The Eggrolls were full of pork and vegetables.

IMG_0241.JPG

I chose the Chicken with Garlic Sauce with Fried Rice.

IMG_0242.JPG

And my husband had the Mongolian Beef with Steamed Rice.

IMG_0243.JPG

Wonder if they'd deliver here?

• Like 4

@shain, I have no familiarity with burekas, but those look absolutely amazing. One day, perhaps I will get brave enough to attempt puff pastry.

@robirdstx, that looks like a fine spread. I am still in mourning that my go-to order-in Chinese restaurant has moved its next-door Japanese restaurant to a different location. One could previously order from both the Chinese and Japanese menus, and delivery sushi was a fine, fine thing. Alas, the last time I ordered online from there and included sushi in my order, they called me and apologized profusely at being unable to fill it because they had "remoted the kitchen."

Sigh. Still good Chinese delivery.

Last night, I cooked dinner for the first time in maybe two weeks. Nothing exceptional -- a tenderized round steak in onion gravy, mashed potatoes, mushrooms Berkeley without the peppers. First time I've made those; very good, but I'd go with less brown sugar the next time.

steak, potatoes, shrooms.jpg

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Veal piccata, scalopped potatoes and peas.

HC

IMG_1092.JPGTIMG_1091.JPGIMG_1090.JPGIMG_1093.JPG

Any leftovers?  Those potatoes are what are calling to me like you can not believe.... When is dinner tomorrow and what can I bring.........

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

2 hours ago, suzilightning said:

What about Wild Ginger?  Would they deliver to you?

No, I checked, I'm well outside their radius.  But there are at least five Asian restaurants within a mile and a half of me.

As much as I might drool over takeout sometimes I am not a takeout person.  Wild Ginger would probably deliver to my son's house though.