• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 2)

Dejah

My ideation of chicken Newberg:

Dinner02172017.png

Chicken divan but with enriched leftover Newberg sauce from my recent lobster in place of mornay.  Cheese was old moldy gruyere.  I am not proud.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
Spelling (log)
  • Like 14

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Couscous with vegetable stew. This is quite likely the most common way to serve couscous in israel. The stew is most often made of pumpkin/butternut, zucchini, carrots, potatoes, onion, chickpeas. Sweet potato and cabbage are also common I always include them. Spices vary, I use mostly paprika, turmeric, cumin and cinnamon. The soup can be made vegetarian or with chicken stock.

The amount of liquid should be just enough to flavor and moisten the couscous.

20170218_143917.thumb.jpg.a360d5977a83e5e0e7404f893074f834.jpg

• Like 10

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

It was just brought to my attention that today is National Drink Wine day. I was planning on having chili tonight. What wine goes with chili?

HC

An off-dry Riesling, diluted with equal amount of Mescal and a lime garnish. And some ice cubes ...

• Like 1

I wanted clams or oysters for an appetizer but no one had any so I settled for shrimp. It was marinated, then sauced with honey, soy sauce, garlic and ginger.  Charlie said it would make a great chicken teriyaki sauce if I thickened it.  It was good with the steak too. 

DSCN4029.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 12

We had chili, salads, and thanks to @Okanagancook, a proper wine for National Drink Wine Day. I like to be a patriot, whenever possible. Especially if we get to drink wine in the process! Chili from the freezer, kicked up with a bit of cheese and chopped onion, a little salad and a Rex Goliath Cab. 

HC

IMG_1177.thumb.JPG.c3d5600e313e4c9337237d740445cff6.JPG

IMG_1182.thumb.JPG.ad5f00f2bd9767664e5442646a6ca9ed.JPGIMG_1181.thumb.JPG.5d26e9fbedea83820ec7f37408e20a5d.JPG

• Like 12

17 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I wanted clams or oysters for an appetizer but no one had any so I settled for shrimp. It was marinated, then sauced with honey, soy sauce, garlic and ginger.  Charlie said it would make a great chicken teriyaki sauce if I thickened it.  It was good with the steak too. 

DSCN4029.jpg

Norm that steak looks perfect.  

4 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

We had chili, salads, and thanks to @Okanagancook, a proper wine for National Drink Wine Day. I like to be a patriot, whenever possible. Especially if we get to drink wine in the process! Chili from the freezer, kicked up with a bit of cheese and chopped onion, a little salad and a Rex Goliath Cab. 

HC

IMG_1177.thumb.JPG.c3d5600e313e4c9337237d740445cff6.JPG

IMG_1182.thumb.JPG.ad5f00f2bd9767664e5442646a6ca9ed.JPGIMG_1181.thumb.JPG.5d26e9fbedea83820ec7f37408e20a5d.JPG

Chris, you always make your meals look so perfect and lovely.   The choices of dressings ....the table....always so nice :)

• Like 3

I looked up the winery website for your Rex wine.  Very nice.  I do like California cab savs but for us Canadians they are bit pricey.   A little cab sav is grown about 50 Kms south of me.  It is hard to ripen but this southern area is at the tip of the desert so they are able.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HungryChris said:

It was just brought to my attention that today is National Drink Wine day. I was planning on having chili tonight. What wine goes with chili?

HC

I will be  having a Sobon Estates 2014 Zinfandel courtesy of my FIL.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

4 hours ago, sartoric said:

My first attempt at dosa, served here with sambar and fresh tomato chutney.

IMG_3238.thumb.JPG.ee8d8f9fa1c7cc2d8a2971582f155213.JPG

Your dosas look lovely.  Did you use a mix and if so which one?

are they quite filling?  One or three for breakfast?

never had them but want to try them.

32 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Chris, you always make your meals look so perfect and lovely.   The choices of dressings ....the table....always so nice :)

Shelby, thanks so much! I managed a restaurant for quite a few years and left with quite a few hard principles, the biggest one: Try to make it  look inviting. You make yours look equally inviting from a different perspective and one that I respect just as much. Keep up the good work!

HC

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

Your dosas look lovely.  Did you use a mix and if so which one?

are they quite filling?  One or three for breakfast?

never had them but want to try them.

Not a mix, but I was still cheating. There's an Indian grocer only a few minutes away from my place. She makes the batter and sells it frozen in tubs. I'll eventually progress to making my own batter, but first wanted to get the cooking technique sorted. I think they're filling, usually I'd have two for breakfast, larger ones than these though.

3 hours ago, HungryChris said:

This should work

HCIMG_1175.thumb.JPG.9c01d299694171dcf12c0024d24d2357.JPG

Or, as we call it around here, "Big Chicken" wine.

Middle daughter is here with her pair of urchins, so dinner was her favorite, red beans and rice, with stove-top cornbread, or, as we used to call it back in the day, "hoecake."

58a8fc7d6fe1b_redbeansnrice.jpg.4b91593972d54ad9fa3e1b3bea504697.jpg

• Like 13

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

15 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Not a mix, but I was still cheating. There's an Indian grocer only a few minutes away from my place. She makes the batter and sells it frozen in tubs. I'll eventually progress to making my own batter, but first wanted to get the cooking technique sorted. I think they're filling, usually I'd have two for breakfast, larger ones than these though.

I did some research awhile ago about dosas and I remember reading that local shops sell the dough.  Nice that you got some. I bought GITS Dosai mix.  Makes 8 and the ingredients are rice flour, lentil flour, citric acid, raising agents, fenugreek powder.  The cooking directions look pretty easy but I think I will find a few u tube demos before trying them.

cheers

• Like 1

Honey Shrimp and scallion garlic rice topped with furikake, eggrolls on the side. Was supposed to be a nice dinner, but thanks to the pipe that let loose under the house and flooded my breezeway I will not have water till Monday. So the fine china it is! 

16832074_10155053986201617_2967006460946541710_n.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

I did some research awhile ago about dosas and I remember reading that local shops sell the dough.  Nice that you got some. I bought GITS Dosai mix.  Makes 8 and the ingredients are rice flour, lentil flour, citric acid, raising agents, fenugreek powder.  The cooking directions look pretty easy but I think I will find a few u tube demos before trying them.

cheers

I had a packet mix in my hands when I approached the counter...the owner suggested I try her frozen batter, then gave me some instructions. I also watched some u tubes to get the technique....it's pretty easy. To make from scratch you soak rice and urad dal separately, drain and grind them, then leave to ferment. I will be trying these at some stage.

I'm so lucky to have this great indian shop nearby, it's been in the same spot with the same owner for more than 20 years.

• Like 2