• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 2)

Dejah

@liuzhou,

I too had beef ribs last night but cannot I brag that mine were as successful as yours by any means. I completely misjudged the so-called ribs as being something I have had before which I used to grill and enjoy as medium rare, tender beef.  Those ribs were what were trimmed from prime rib roasts.  The one I had last night was a different cut all together and I should've consulted with you I think before I attempted to cook it.xDxDxD

image.jpeg

Beef rib with homemade barbeque sauce and sweet potato strings.  Wrong beef ribs for the treatment I gave them.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@liuzhou,

I too had beef ribs last night but cannot I brag that mine were as successful as yours

I didn't mean to brag. I was just excited that my Chinese friend liked them. Most Chinese people seem to be afraid of anything even slightly charred I did have to reassure her that they were meant to be black and weren't burnt. Not sure she believed me at first, but she does now. She is still here and is shouting to you that "They weren't burnt!"

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

@liuzhou,

I too had beef ribs last night 

us three...

the last of the beef rib ragu over mashed potatoes with carrots and peas.  Very homey comfort food ... then watched the second night of Westminster.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Made black beans.  Cuban/Spanish style with a few bay leaves and some Greek oregano bell peppers, onion and garlic.  

Love making them and make them often.  Paired them with Aldi pork belly which I warmed up with the Anova at the highest temp until it was hot through out and then it was was seared in the Darto pan to render fat and brown up.  Sliced it up and served with reduced bag juices along with the beans 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 17

Back home after a week on the road and having gained some travel weight, I wanted something simple and fairly light.  So, split-pea soup with ham and carrots. Served with dill rye toast and salad.

pea-soup2.jpg

• Like 12

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Much as I love cooking and eating, every now and again, I really can't be bothered. I don't know why. This evening was one of them. Usually when that happens I just go out to eat, but today I didn't want to do that either, so I reluctantly cooked the simplest thing I could think of at the time.

dinner.jpg

Slivered some pork tenderloin and marinated it in Shaoxing wine. Rice in rice cooker. Stir fried pork with garlic, ginger, soy sauce Sichuan peppercorns, chilli and sliced button mushrooms. Finished with some scallions. There was also some lettuce that was desperate to leave the fridge, so I wilted that.

It was OK. Not great. But OK..

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Last day of goose/duck season was last weekend.  Yes.  The great hunter is sad.  I reminded him that in just a few short months (September) he will be off and hunting again.  So, goose liver, tenders, heart and gizzard.  Twas our first time eating the gizzard.  I fried it and then pressure cooked it for an hour.  It was good.  Even more tender than chicken gizzards.  I made a few of those, too.

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

• Like 13

on fridays I often cook vegetarian, so I can post here and not in the fridge clearing thread ;-) being excited about eating at hangar7 next week, where the best indian cook is responsible for the menue, I had to make a curry. chickpeas with spinach, spicy, warming, comfort food!

IMG_2678.JPG

• Like 10

A few nights ago dinner was Brunswick stew from the freezer:

DSCN6390.JPG

Brunswick stew never photographs well!

With asparagus and Dorie’s brioche buns:

DSCN6387.JPG

Valentine’s dinner.  Started with spiced almonds, petit toasts, crab spread and Gorgonzola Dolce – both from Wegman’s.  We’ve become addicted to this Gorgonzola – it’s like a mixture of Gorgonzola and Brie:

DSCN6393.JPG

Dinner was Cider Braised Pork Chops (a Cook’s Country recipe).  Thick chops are browned and oven braised in a sauce of onions, garlic, thyme and apple butter.  The chops:

DSCN6394.JPG

After the braise the sauce is strained and more apple butter and a bit of apple cider vinegar is added.

The sauce:

DSCN6398.JPG

I served it with a butter lettuce salad:

DSCN6396.JPG

Honey-Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Long Grain and Wild Rice with Cranberries and Orange (without sauce):

DSCN6400.JPG

With sauce:

DSCN6401.JPG

Absolutely delicious pork.  The prep was really easy, but very elegant – I’d definitely serve this to company!

Dessert was all purchased at Wegman’s – Mini Chocolate Amaretto Mousse Cake and Mini Opera cake:

DSCN6407.JPG

And a couple of strawberries that they were dipping as I walked by – I couldn’t resist them:

DSCN6408.JPG

DSCN6399.JPG

• Like 15

7 hours ago, Shelby said:

Last day of goose/duck season was last weekend.  Yes.  The great hunter is sad.  I reminded him that in just a few short months (September) he will be off and hunting again.  So, goose liver, tenders, heart and gizzard.  Twas our first time eating the gizzard.  I fried it and then pressure cooked it for an hour.  It was good.  Even more tender than chicken gizzards.  I made a few of those, too.

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

If you have Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen cookbook then check out page 245:  Giblet Gravy.  OMG it is fantastic.  The recipe intro says "Serve this over mashed potatoes, roasted chicken or turkey or serve mixed with rice. " I googled the recipe but couldn't come up with it.  If you are interested let me know.  It also has chicken liver as well as chicken gizzards but you could use what you have.

• Like 3

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Chipotle, honey and lime marinated sheet pan/tray bake with chicken, sweet potatoes and red onions.   I made enough for two meals and may freeze the second one.  

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Dang-it, as advertised in the lunch thread we were having steak for dinner.

well, we decided to go to our little village's pub at 4 pm for a few drinks with friends who gather there on Friday nights.  The owner provided all the local regulars with snacks.  OMG, fresh veggies with a really delicious dip.  Then came the platter of little egg rolls, butterfly coconut shrimp, chicken wings, spanakopita, and little cocktail meat balls.  All served with 3 different dips.  They have another new chef.  Hope he stays.

so, steaks are back in the fridge for tomorrow and we will have leftovers for dinner.

• Like 5