• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 2)

Dejah

14 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

Mrs. C is out of town so I am cooking again.

Cochin coconut shrimp with tomatoes: With coconut milk, yogurt, ginger, chiles, garlic, onion, grated coconut, coriander, and garam masala. The shrimp were poached in the flavorful sauce and turned out very tender.

Turmeric rice: Pilaf-style with whole cloves and green cardamom, cinnamon stick, garlic, and bay leaves.

"Express" bhaji: Steam-in-bag spinach quickly stir-fried with ginger coins and red chiles

CochinShrimp201702-2.jpg

This looks gorgeous.  I wish I could think of flavor combinations like this when I'm at a loss for dinner and my darling is advocating Polish Sausage and potato salad. Thanks for the inspiration, C!

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

59 minutes ago, Smithy said:

This looks gorgeous.  I wish I could think of flavor combinations like this when I'm at a loss for dinner and my darling is advocating Polish Sausage and potato salad. Thanks for the inspiration, C!

My quest for flavor combinations starts as soon as I look in the fridge and freezer and ask myself  "what can I do with all this......"?  Usually there is one item in the fridge that must be cooked soon which is the focal point.   In Bruce's example above it would have most likely been the spinach for me.  And by the way the spinach looks fantastic!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

My quest for flavor combinations starts as soon as I look in the fridge and freezer and ask myself  "what can I do with all this......"?  Usually there is one item in the fridge that must be cooked soon which is the focal point.   In Bruce's example above it would have most likely been the spinach for me.  And by the way the spinach looks fantastic!

Thanks! It was remarkably tasty for remarkably little effort. Although, to be fair, leftover yogurt was the focal point more than frozen spinach. Fresh spinach, yup, that would have driven the train.

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

Thank you, Smithy. Um, Polish sausage and potato salad sounds pretty good to me. I have potato salad on the brain because I recently enjoyed hauntingly good potato salad at a bagel place.

For what it is worth, reasoning behind the meal was as follows:

1. We buy frozen shrimp whenever it goes on sale, so we usually have shrimp in the freezer.

2. I like shrimp more than a certain beloved family member who happens to be out of town.

3. I am lazy and avoiding a trip to the grocery store.

4. I knew we had leftover yogurt, ginger, chiles, canned tomatoes, and a cabinet full of Indian spices.

5. I found a recipe that I had not tried before, from a cookbook I trust, that matched precisely the stuff that was cluttering up the fridge . . .

Frozen spinach pizza tonight, jazzed up with garlic, Mexican oregano, black pepper, and cayenne. I need to get more feta cheese - feta and spinach are made for each other.

Anyway, thanks again for the kind comments!

• Like 5

Had a head of cauliflower in the fridge which was the inspiration for dinner as well as my wife's demand that we eat more fish

Cauliflower oven roasted and half way through I pulled it and gave it a toss in a tbs of  tahini and put it back in the oven.  Crap framed salmon seared.  The fattier nature of the farmed stuff is a plus for me even if it isn't the healthiest choice.  The texture is just fatty and luxurious.  

image.jpeg

• Like 13

47 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@mm84321 Could you give more description about the macaroni? What's in it and on it?

Sure. It is stuffed with a fine duxelle of chanterelles (sautéed shallot, chopped chanterelles and parsley), then covered with a slice of Comte cheese. They are heated in a sauce made from the clam juices reduced with cream and a "little" butter! 

• Like 2

image.jpeg.fa824fdd97190f8e8a77426e5eeaf821.jpeg

, Eggs, bacon, mushrooms, and some broccoli dressed with some piquillo pepper sauce.

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Dinner was sous vide country style pork ribs with pommes anna and asparagus.  The pork was seasoned with fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, oregano) and cooked for 18 hours @ 145F.  I made a quick sauce from the pouch juice, pork demi-glace and finished with sour cream.  

P1050478r.thumb.jpg.9190fa2958ee0e2363d2bf43b7677a9e.jpg

• Like 16

59 minutes ago, Steve Irby said:

Dinner was sous vide country style pork ribs with pommes anna and asparagus.  The pork was seasoned with fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, oregano) and cooked for 18 hours @ 145F.  I made a quick sauce from the pouch juice, pork demi-glace and finished with sour cream.  

P1050478r.thumb.jpg.9190fa2958ee0e2363d2bf43b7677a9e.jpg

Your asparagus looks lovely.  I can't wait for ours to make it's way through the dirt towards the sun :)

• Like 4

Nuked Marie Callendar's Lasagna classed up by having a glass of Sobon Estate Zinfandel with it (maybe 2 before all is said and done).

• Like 11

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Desperation dinner: "Banh mi" with Spam, Omelet, quick pickled onion and carrots and a healthy dose of cilantro. Basically the entire content of our fridge. Plus some chicken croquetas, because they fell out of the freezer first when I searched for something eatable ...

WP_20170302_18_45_05_Rich.jpg

• Like 11