• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 2)

Dejah

image.jpeg.d7274da454be6aafc03fbb2e3dccff6c.jpeg

Sous vide vegetables (carrot, parsnip and onion)  that I had cooked about a week ago and that were fast approaching their best before date in my refrigerator.   I gave them another hour at 85°C because they were still a lot more than al dente and then roasted them in a very hot oven to get some colour and topped with a mixture of cheeses and panko.  

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I wanted to participate in the Meatball cook-off, but the lazy Sunday got the better of me. So: Pide with minced lamb, egg, cilantro. At the end maybe Kofta would have been faster, but hey ...

WP_20170226_19_45_14_Rich.jpg

• Like 20

50 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I wanted to participate in the Meatball cook-off, but the lazy Sunday got the better of me. So: Pide with minced lamb, egg, cilantro. At the end maybe Kofta would have been faster, but hey ...

WP_20170226_19_45_14_Rich.jpg

I think it's better than the Pide I had in Würzburg, made by Turks no less. I prefer your dough.

U60tN3i.jpg

But the nice wild boar made up for it (on draft even). Beats Asahi.

lQNnOE2.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 11

Last night was a night out for dinner to celebrate my birthday from earlier in the week. We dined at our local Maggiano's Little Italy.

IMG_0276.thumb.JPG.e695e811212aaba77ad7fa94f1b0ac0a.JPG

Calamari with Marinara Sauce to start.

IMG_0277.thumb.JPG.2945b468b1971455f8cbd249cb75191e.JPG

Bread to hold us until our mains arrived.

IMG_0279.thumb.JPG.4650609232be135a02bd690e4e90a6d9.JPG

I had the the Chicken and Spinach Manicotti

IMG_0278.thumb.JPG.e1efeeed003eb7b559f3aee09ee0f711.JPG

My husband had the Steak and Mushroom Ravioli Special. He had almost finished his Asparagus before I remembered to take a picture. The steak medallions were mostly covered by onion rings, so he obliged me and turned his plate to give me the money shot!

IMG_0281.thumb.JPG.1dc0e2d69498d8f023c2fa6bb779fdb3.JPG

Lemon Cookies for dessert.

IMG_0280.thumb.JPG.132924f3f910c06975f14454540cfa5f.JPG

• Like 16

We did sort-of Brazilian food yesterday.  Pao de queijo:

58b2fcb2a5d39_braziliancheesebread.thumb.jpg.4e5263646383e09b930871061d46e9bb.jpg

feijoada (vegetarian so not a traditional recipe at all)

58b2fcaee4944_blackbeans.thumb.jpg.d8b73952974bd2730ca6386b2ca6c4e4.jpg

onion strings 

58b2fcbfdcdde_onionrings.thumb.jpg.c0bd996b084f23cf1ee3af647e21de52.jpg

coconut rice

58b2fcbd1d3c0_coconutrice.thumb.jpg.27483323cd09b681afb7ad16c91f7ff4.jpg

grilled beef and chicken in a Brazilian tomato-coconut sauce

58b2fcb9e74ce_chickenandsteak.thumb.jpg.38cd28aab78256bd30fdab6e3149a987.jpg

there was an avocado salad too that I neglected to take a picture of.

• Like 24

We had dinner early today.  One of the grocery stores here sells something they label boneless ribs.  Both Charlie an I were fooled into getting some once.  They are actually rather tasteless cuts of chuck.  Charlie's package sat in the freezer several months before I decided to cook it in the Instant Pot today.  I cooked it with soy sauce, ginger, honey, star anise and ginger. It turned out pretty good.  We had it with rice and a salad. I didn't take a picture of the meal but here are some leftovers. 

DSCN4045.jpg

• Like 11

@sartoric

like the egg yolk sitting their , minding its own business 

ready to add deliciousness to your Soup

At Your Command !

I frequently add a beaten egg to soups , a la ' egg drop soup '  i.e. in stands

Ill now add the unbeaten egg to the soup  

let it get familiar with its neighbors   etc

then enjoy the Yolk !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Really gorgeous meals everyone!!

I roasted a chicken a few nights ago. I didn't take pictures of that meal (super simple: roast chicken with tomato chutney, roast potato, salad) but there was enough left over for two more dinners:

Chicken, onions and tomatoes with cumin, chili powder (should have been fresh chili peppers but I didn't have any), Served with rice and a salad.

DSC01924.thumb.jpg.2937a31e66d65f5d8ddf8984bc61d535.jpg

Pasta with chicken,mushrooms, red, yellow and green peppers. (I am one of those who really like peppers of all colors.) And salad.

DSC02106.thumb.jpg.9a79ee851006464940670cebd7163d2a.jpg

Ran out of chicken last night. There is a pork chop under the shallots and balsamic sauce. Also mashed squash with toasted walnuts. Do I need to mention that there was a salad?

DSC02104.thumb.jpg.571a2722ac8d49f356c8dabfc9c2a48f.jpg

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 13

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

image.jpeg.a29c8557bd70af7cb253b0f8efc64472.jpeg

This is a Diana Henry recipe. Chicken thighs, sweet potato (this is a white-fleshed variety), onion and garlic tossed in olive oil with smoked paprika and preserved lemon flesh. That is roasted until almost ready and then the diced skin of the lemon and some pitted black olives are added for another few minutes.  

• Like 18

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

My husband brought home some bay scallops from the Legal Seafoods fish market. I sautéed them in butter and added in shallot, a little garlic, white wine, and parsley, and the juice of half a lemon, then sprinkled on some panko that I toasted in butter and lemon zest for some crunch.  Asparagus and rice for sides.  The scallops were incredibly sweet.  A nice treat for a Monday.

58b4e367d8b1e_bayscallops2.thumb.jpg.12113bc2cdfa19515efd4a84eea40423.jpg

• Like 16

34 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

@Anna N  looks fantastic and right up my alley.   Great use of ingredients that really complement each other.  Sounds like what's for dinner.    I'll be digging out some thighs from the freezer straight away 

Few things bring me more joy than to know I've planted a bee in somebody's bonnet.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Mrs. C is out of town so I am cooking again.

Cochin coconut shrimp with tomatoes: With coconut milk, yogurt, ginger, chiles, garlic, onion, grated coconut, coriander, and garam masala. The shrimp were poached in the flavorful sauce and turned out very tender.

Turmeric rice: Pilaf-style with whole cloves and green cardamom, cinnamon stick, garlic, and bay leaves.

"Express" bhaji: Steam-in-bag spinach quickly stir-fried with ginger coins and red chiles

CochinShrimp201702-2.jpg

• Like 10

I set off to market this afternoon for chuck, with bright red thoughts of goulash.  I saw plenty of pleasant enough chuck, but the chuck that was advertised on sale was nowhere to be found.

So I came home with three pieces of filet mignon.  Choice for a change.  Usually they offer select.  The steaks were as thick as they were wide.  I bagged two, being careful to annotate RAW on each side of the package and the date.  For the sacrificial steak I first seared it in a bit of grapeseed oil.  (Measuring about 410 deg F. surface temperature and rising in my newest Falk before adding in the oil.)  Then finished over lower heat in butter.  I pulled at about 50 deg C.  Final rested temperature was 58 or so which was higher than intended.  Sill possibly my finest attempt at this cut of beef.  The crust was lovely.

Served with two hour baked potato, asparagus hollandaise -- and a prodigal amount of voatsiperifery, coarsely cracked.

• Like 9

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou