• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 2)

Dejah

A South Indian meal. The sambar from two nights ago was repurposed with extra dal, masoor dal this time. I made mango pickle on the weekend (was given about 30 green and ripening mangoes), so we tried some of that. Also a potato and spinach curry, plus dosas and a little yoghurt with green chillies.

IMG_3245.thumb.JPG.2e1722119c76e80f7066c69380a877f4.JPG

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Captain said:

I did the same thing Saturday night.  Same temp but only for less than 2hours.  I was planing on taking them out sooner but got lazy.

Where you worried about the length of time?

No, I wasn't worried.  I just wanted them to be more tender.  The last time I did them for much shorter and they were a bit tough.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gfweb said:

Temple Alum?

No.  DH collects plastic cups with college logos.  He lines them up during college tournaments such as March madness and takes pictures, posts them on FB.  Different college cups appear randomly at meal times on our dinner table.  I am ok with that since he is ok with me posting pictures of random (and sometimes mundane) meals that we have.

• Like 4

Crab meat, avocado, mango appetizer dressed with lime juice and salt, a touch of olive oil.  Mango and avocado were perfect.  Crab meat was pasteurized and rather average.  I had cravings for local MD crab meat but had to settle for Venezuela import.  Not terrible, just not perfect.  I will wait for the real thing to make it next time.

image.thumb.jpg.dbf8899d68fc1ed7b9e46356d261b5b4.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I think you mean "American Chinese restaurants".

Just trying to be a little politically correct since Hawai'i didn't become an American state until 1959 and the word "pupu" was used in the years before that. Ergo, "western" to include Hawai'i and the U.S.

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

@Shelby – your broccoli beef looks gorgeous!  Would you share the recipe (I don’t have an IP, though)?

@liamsaunt – I am NOT allergic to seafood and I’d devour and adore every single thing on that pupu platter (one of my MANY guilty pleasures).

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 2

image.jpg.da595c49a0a3919572c341106fedad67.jpg

SV'd some parsnips, carrots and onions earlier in the week.  Tonight I reheated them via Sous Vide, drained them and tossed them into some hot duck fat. I added some sliced Sous Vide beef short ribs and dinner was ready in short order. 

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Shelby – your broccoli beef looks gorgeous!  Would you share the recipe (I don’t have an IP, though)?

@liamsaunt – I am NOT allergic to seafood and I’d devour and adore every single thing on that pupu platter (one of my MANY guilty pleasures).

Hi Kim!  Thank you :)

I loosely went off this recipe  .  I added oyster sauce, carrots, water chestnuts and mushrooms.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

@Shelby I copied your recipe and plan to give it a try soon.  Looks yummy.

Thanks Norm!  I usually don't care too much for beef and broccoli because the beef is usually tough.  The pressure cooking makes it so tender.  

• Like 1

Steel head trout baked then finished under the broiler, with maple/soy sauce glaze. Beets steam-roasted in the CSO. Soubise rice (is that redundant?) - Julia Child's recipe. My husband really liked this meal and tried - and failed - to come up with an appropriate wine to pair with it. (We ended up with our usual Two Vines Cab-Sauv.) So he asked me to ask all of you for suggestions. 

Which, of course, we will try out.  I'm always up for trying a different wine.:P Maybe several different wines.....

DSC02098.thumb.jpg.4847505a82f357e0c94aba956b274fe6.jpg

• Like 11

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

15 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Burger night.  Ground chuck burger with pan grilled onions and home fries and fixings.  This was so delicious.   Forget high end steak.  I'm a a burger hound 

image.jpeg

I LOVE avocados.  Looks fantastic.  A bit messy to eat though?

• Like 1