• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 2)

Dejah

image.jpeg.1f0fb0588d803c2ddde194125148d4af.jpeg

I am in my beige phase.   Sous vide shoulder of pork gently reheated in a sauce of apples, clarified osmazome*, calvados and cream.  Accompanied by a side of puréed celeriac which was cooked in the Instant Pot pot and puréed in the Thermomix.   

*Click.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Dinner for Two - Shared Platter.

58a9a3e28efa8_WingsandCaesarSaladforTwoFebruary18th20172.thumb.jpg.35d3caeebb3903dd6da0c9521359666c.jpg

Moe's favourite salad. He loves this Caesar Salad. I've been making him this salad since 1979.

This one sets the standards by which he judges all other Caesars.

Homemade dressing with coddle egg , homemade croutons and both Roquefort Cheese and Parm Reggiano.

• Like 20

My nephew has an anaphylactic allergy to crustaceans, and his doctor advised him to avoid Chinese restaurants because of the risk of cross contamination.  However, he loves all of that fried pupu stuff you get at American Chinese places, so yesterday my sister cooked up a bunch of pupu foods from scratch.  We made hoisin ribs, vegetable potstickers, chicken fingers, spring rolls, rangoon (with no crab!), and scallion pancakes.  He was thrilled.  This picture is of the platter of leftovers.  We made way too much.  As usual.

58a9d6ad20422_chinese2.thumb.jpg.9036c97e40a82b32f4b4bfbf5a65c076.jpg

• Like 19

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

Broccoli beef and eggrolls

58a9b6946b801_photo1.JPG.416cbe29350dd088d071ffafe1f38a2f.JPG

58a9b69f48a0a_photo2.JPG.e328afbdf71f6544473e5ef57ebe507a.JPG

Oh, my, that looks lovely. I haven't made beef and broccoli lately. I should.

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

My nephew has an anaphylactic allergy to crustaceans, and his doctor advised him to avoid Chinese restaurants because of the risk of cross contamination.  However, he loves all of that fried pupu stuff you get at American Chinese places, so yesterday my sister cooked up a bunch of pupu foods from scratch.  We made hoisin ribs, vegetable potstickers, chicken fingers, spring rolls, rangoon (with no crab!), and scallion pancakes.  He was thrilled.  This picture is of the platter of leftovers.  We made way too much.  As usual.

58a9d6ad20422_chinese2.thumb.jpg.9036c97e40a82b32f4b4bfbf5a65c076.jpg

That looks pretty lovely too. There would not have been too much had I been there.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

11 minutes ago, kayb said:

Oh, my, that looks lovely. I haven't made beef and broccoli lately. I should.

That looks pretty lovely too. There would not have been too much had I been there.

Thank you!  I recommend using the IP...it's easy and the meat is so tender.  I do the broccoli first on a trivet for 0 mins on high pressure.  Then I remove it (and the trivet) and do everything else.  I add the broccoli back in at the end.  

• Like 2

Roast Chook.  It sat in a large pot of brine for 36hrs before hitting the oven.

Beautifully juicy and tender.

IMG_20170219_194034.thumb.jpg.26ba92bb7c6474076a064a1566484e29.jpg

That was Sunday dinner.  Chicken and gravy and no need for anything else.

IMG_20170219_194107.thumb.jpg.6aa2f14ff3b3f9d7f32e98eb993537ef.jpg

• Like 11

Most of the family have gone home...only daughter and s-i-l here - a quieter supper for the four of us.

Pulled out some beef tenderloin, sliced up, seasoned with frajita seasonings. Cooked up in my cast iron wok.

Fixings were prepare beforehand. Wraps were commercial low carb.

58aa53b907efa_Fajita0070.jpg.a8d46a2dde1f05b2291304825e01acb5.jpg

• Like 12

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dinner tonight is make your own tacos. Flour tortillas, store-bought carnitas, sour cream, sharp cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, sliced green onions, choppen cilantro, store-bought salsa.

• Like 10

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Not worthy of a photograph, but the last of my lobster from The Lobster Place -- via amazon Fresh -- grilled.  A tail and two claws.  Baked potato with sour cream, broccolini.  Lemon juice and drawn butter with the lobster.

Digestive:  Chartreuse green V.E.P.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

image.jpeg.d8830f4913e7aa9f188ee885a73d0f52.jpeg

48 hour boneless, beef short ribs with Sous Vide carrots, parsnips and onions. All finished in my Darto pans. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The weather here is misbehaving. We get a few days of evil chill then a few days of gorgeous spring sunshine and high temperatures. So, it is difficult to know what to cook. Hearty winter fare or light spring eating.

Today was somewhere in the middle. It looked dull and miserable but wasn't actually that cold. So, a pan-fried 1-10-10 chicken breast and couscous with mint, capers and black olives. There was some yellow pepper in there, too.

chicken.thumb.jpg.bd10cc86d6dfa795f6e1f4f34c4281e9.jpg

• Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

A somewhat over done chicken thigh, done in the CSO, with quinoa, black beans (the very last of the coco noir from last summer's garden :sad:), tomato, scallions and corn. Almost the last of last summer's corn too.

DSC02089.thumb.jpg.a98304cc38a1ce89cc9c25e5babc7b64.jpg

Unstuffed cabbage (a Mark Bittman recipe from an old NYTimes magazine) over rice. With salad.

DSC02092.thumb.jpg.fe6bc09aae97b13699f561780b3c605c.jpg

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 14

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

Did they turn out tender this time?  130F for ? long.

All good save for those nasty sprouts :P

LOL I love me some sprouts :) 

Yes, MUCH more tender.  They were in there for almost 4 hours.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, liuzhou said:

This site sure expands my vocabulary. I had never heard of this before. Interesting.

I believe it's derived from the Hawai'ian word "puu-puu" which, in the Hawai'ian language, has, over time, become another word for "appetizer". It's pronounced as "poo-oo poo-oo".The syllables are spoken distinctly separate, almost like separate words. I believe originally "puu" meant collection or heap (meaning more than one). Over time, it also became shortened/Westernized to just "pu pu" (poo poo).

In western Chinese restaurants, the pupu platter is a collection of appetizers, not just a single appetizer, though it's taken on that meaning today ("Anyone care for some cocktails and pupus?). 

You can read more about what a typical pu pu platter contains here on Wikipedia (click). Click on the accompanying photo on that page to see an elaborate pupu platter (a lot of western Chinese restaurants these days no longer add the mini hibachi in the middle of the platter. They omit it all together).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

LOL I love me some sprouts :) 

Yes, MUCH more tender.  They were in there for almost 4 hours.  

I did the same thing Saturday night.  Same temp but only for less than 2hours.  I was planing on taking them out sooner but got lazy.

Where you worried about the length of time?