• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 2)

Dejah

23 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

The Reuben is on the short list of my all-time favorite sandwiches... I like them slathered in butter and pan cooked like a grilled cheese but I doubt I'd turn my nose up at an unbuttered, baked variation.

Edit: had to correct this post, just realized there's no sauerkraut... my apologies for accusing it of being a Reuben.

In the past, I always cooked this sandwich like a grilled cheese and was going to do it that way when I found a recipe for the baked version and must say I liked it, as everything was warmed through and I did not have to mind the stove top.

Dinner tonight was Marcella Hazan's Pot Roast of Beef Braised with Red Wine. This is the first recipe I have made from Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking. It was accompanied by rotini pasta splashed with olive oil and parsley, and Roasted Asparagus seasoned with rosemary.

ETA: I made one minor substitution on the ingredients. In stead of opening a can of tomatoes to  use just 1 1/2 tablespoons I squeezed some tomato paste into the wine used to de-glaze the browning skillet.

Dinner8Feb2017.jpg

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 13

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

19 hours ago, Anna N said:

There has been much talk recently both on eG and elsewhere about wedge salads. I am obviously lead a much too sheltered life. I had never heard of a wedge salad never mind eaten one.  So I thought it time to rectify the situation.image.jpeg

My research indicates that plating is not my forte.  I do not think it likely that a wedge salad will become a regular occurrence. Nothing wrong with the ingredients. I like them all.  But I found it challenging to eat and it seems to defy the idea that the dressing should coat each leaf in the salad bowl. Some mouthfuls consisted of nothing but bare iceberg lettuce.  Should I find myself presented with any such salad in the future I will know to chop up the lettuce and toss everything together before attempting to eat it.  

When I was growing up, on the rare occasion I got to dine at a real restaurant, a wedge of iceberg lettuce was the thing.  It was just a question of French or Italian dressing.  A grapefruit half was an acceptable substitution.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Sandwich night last night.  Husband had some of the leftover beef tenderloin from the Super Bowl with arugula and parmesan cheese

beef sandwich.jpg

I had chicken with daikon-carrot pickle, chiles, cilantro and spicy aioli. Kind of banh mi flavors but on the wrong kind of bread.

chicken sandwich.jpg

• Like 16

20170209_210914.jpg

Pan fried sea bass with buttery mashed potato, black garlic and capers. Stir fried chayote shoots.

The crisp fried fish skin went to the cook (ie me) for his treat and he enjoyed it immensely. A second fillet was also eaten and the skin was even better.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Dinner for me last night was ham and egg on a bun.

John had spaghetti with shrimp, capers and olive oil.

Doing some recipe testing today - if the power holds - short rib ragu.  Will serve it with some olive oil mashed potatoes I think.  Carrots and peas with onions.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Anna – I really like wedge salads, but you are right – you have to chop them up on the plate to get the dressing properly mixed in and then do you really have a wedge salad?  I guess that they are really just an attractive way to serve a truly simple salad – you can add what you like, but at bottom it is a two ingredient dish. 

Dinner last night was Ina Garten’s shrimp salad roll and green beans:

DSCN6368.JPG

I roasted the shrimp instead of boiling or steaming.  I always do this now when I want cooked shrimp for a dish.  I think it is a great improvement.  I happened to have some of the top slice hot dog buns and, for the first time, tried buttering and toasting the sides.  Great little trick.  Even Mr. Kim, who isn’t a bread fiend like me, noticed the difference it made to the roll.

With chicken noodle soup:

DSCN6366.JPG

Homemade, but from the freezer.  Funny thing about those crackers.  I have 3 tins of smoked oysters in the pantry.  Mr. Kim said he would be gone tonight, so I should eat some (he detests the odor).  I didn’t have any saltines (absolutely required for smoked oysters), so bought some at the store yesterday.  When I opened them they looked odd and I realized that I’d bought WHEAT.  So I said “shit”.  But when I tasted them, they tasted EXACTLY the same as the regular ones.  One of those little marketing tricks – of course, I know that ALL saltines are made from ‘wheat flour’, but I’m guessing the color came from caramel!

• Like 12

I made an experimental char siu with pork belly.  Cooked in the air fryer.  (Note, if you try this, put it directly under your exhaust vent as it will make copious quantities of smoke.  I think pork belly is just too fatty for the air fryer.  Next time I will probably cook in the pellet grill.)  Made into a very non-traditional stir fry of arugula, carrot, onion, celery and cauliflower.  It was very tasty though!

pb-charsiu.jpg

pb-charsiu-p.jpg

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 14

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

It's still too hot in the kitchen, so a selection of cold stuff happened. 

Thawed roast turkey breast, white and dark, shaved ham, salami, olives, pickles, baby beetroot, a tuna and bean salad, plus tomato, basil and bocconcini salad. Sourdough bread, mango relish and mustard pickles.

I'm itching to try out some recently acquired recipes from India...maybe next week.

IMG_3204.JPG

• Like 14

It's a stormy night, so I pulled leftover choucroute garnie from the freezer (FCO points!) and boiled up some potatoes to go with. Perfect cold-night comfort food, but not photogenic. 

Edited by chromedome
"preezer" clean-out (log)
  • Like 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A late work night pre-storm simple midnight dinner...

Dinner02082017.png

Chicken thigh was previously pasteurized sous vide and stored in the refrigerator.  Then grilled on my Zojirushi electric grill.  The Zojirushi is the best method I have found for finishing sous vide chicken.  Sous vide chicken never comes out as well in the CSO.

Not that the CSO was idle:  the thawed frozen peas were steamed 8 minutes.

• Like 12

interesting

I do hope y9u have done  CSB'd 

CkThighs in the CSB ?

on the rack cover he drip pan  

with the parchment helper so they do not stick ?

granted  one needs to get remove as much fat as possible

but   .....   the finest CkSkin Iver ever had.

Once Ive done the FCO to

reasonable satisfactions 

Ill more back to CkTh's

this week  :  $ 0.77   USD's  /lbs

suprise.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

interesting

I do hope y9u have done  CSB'd 

CkThighs in the CSB ?

on the rack cover he drip pan  

with the parchment helper so they do not stick ?

granted  one needs to get remove as much fat as possible

but   .....   the finest CkSkin Iver ever had.

Once Ive done the FCO to

reasonable satisfactions 

Ill more back to CkTh's

this week  :  $ 0.77   USD's  /lbs

suprise.gif

Indeed.  Uncooked chicken thighs I do in the CSO.  Yes, I use parchment.  But I can't get such crisp skin with previously sous vide thighs.

• Like 1

Left over uncooked amberjack from the other day made a dandy fish sandwich for the two of us.  

A few spuds used for oven fries and a mini multicolored tomatoes for a topping using up a carton  from Costco.  It's clean out the fridge day.  

Its ts one of those dinners that I would be fortunate to get eating out but was so simple made at home. 

image.jpeg

• Like 10

@JoNorvelleWalker  

very interesting

My take ?

SV meats and thighs are very nice for all sorts of dishes.

not so much for crspy..

Id never SV a Ck or a Tk w skin

poultry Sk  does not enjoy SV

it does however enjoy the CSB  on steam bake

as a more or less a Poultry Religious Experience

bird religious , not Us

We had pork chops with Jerk seasoning, brown sugar, pineapple, ponzu and mushrooms.  Dessert was strawberry shortcake.  I didn't take a picture of the Super Bowl food but it was a chili bar with lots of toppings and mix-ins, hot dogs and corn chips with a nacho dip. 

DSCN4012.jpg

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Mr. Kim had a poker game tonight and I had to go out to my mother’s to do her meds, so it ended up being a Wawa night:

DSCN6371.JPG

I dare anyone to post a trashier meal.

The melamine condiment cup saved you from ultimate depravity. Gives a whiff of respectability to your meal.:)xD

• Like 7