• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 2)

Dejah

[Host's note: this topic is part of a continuing discussion that grew too large for our servers to handle efficiently.  The conversation resumes from here.]

Wish WE were booked up for Chinese New Year dinners. Not much happening restaurant-wise in our little city. My students have invited me, but I didn't want to spoil their care-free party worrying about speaking English and proper grammar. I know it's their Chinese custom to be kind. xD

Kids were all working, so supper for two last night:

Watercress - Pork rib soup

Watercress Soup0005.jpg

Thai Flavours Steamed Mussels

Thai Steamed Mussels 0009.jpg

Fun See

Fun See 0015.jpg

Fermented Black Bean Garlic Clams

Black Bean Clams0012.jpg

Steamed Snow Crab

Snow Crab 0018.jpg

We did not starve. Dessert was a piece of leftover ice-cream birthday cake from the beginning of the month!

Gong Hai Fat Choy! 

My maiden name is Choy, and I felt like one last night! xD

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 16

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 2017-01-28 at 8:20 AM, liuzhou said:

Stir fried pork with black fermented beans and mushrooms. Rice.

dinner1.jpg

Pork, black fermented beans, garlic, ginger, chilli, osmanthus wine, soy sauce, coriander leaf, scallions.

I never know how to call DOW SEE in English - the fermented soybeans, right?
When I've mentioned them to people, they all say, "Oh. You mean the black beans found in the bean aisle? Do you cook them first? How do you ferment them?"

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Elder son came home for a visit and girlfriends were elsewhere, so it was just the four of us. I can't remember the last time we had a meal with just the basic family unit.

Camarones a la pimienta (peppered shrimp) over Mexican red rice. Sauteed white onion, garlic, and sliced jalapenos, added shrimp and lots of black pepper, and finished with a dollop of mayonnaise. Rice was made with pureed tomato, chicken stock, white onion, garlic, roasted Anaheim chiles, and cilantro.

Shrimp_CremaPalmitos-1.jpg

Crema de palmitos (pureed hearts of palm soup). Sauteed three bunches of chopped scallion whites and garlic, added chopped hearts of palm, pureed and heated with chicken stock, and finished with the chopped scallion greens. I had mine with crumbled feta cheese.

Shrimp_CremaPalmitos-2.jpg

• Like 21

9 hours ago, Dejah said:

I never know how to call DOW SEE in English - the fermented soybeans, right?
When I've mentioned them to people, they all say, "Oh. You mean the black beans found in the bean aisle? Do you cook them first? How do you ferment them?"

I know the problem.

Yes it's the fermented black soybeans (豆豉 - dòu chǐ in Mandarin). In English, I tend to call them "black fermented beans" to minimise the chances of seeming to refer to any other beans, but it doesn't really work.

For what it's worth, Wikipedia gives

In English, it is known as fermented black soybeans, Chinese fermented black beans, salted black beans, salty black beans, or just black beans.

Take your pick. Or just call them "douchi" or the equivalent in your preferred variety of Chinese.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, C. sapidus said:

Elder son came home for a visit and girlfriends were elsewhere, so it was just the four of us. I can't remember the last time we had a meal with just the basic family unit.

Camarones a la pimienta (peppered shrimp) over Mexican red rice. Sauteed white onion, garlic, and sliced jalapenos, added shrimp and lots of black pepper, and finished with a dollop of mayonnaise. Rice was made with pureed tomato, chicken stock, white onion, garlic, roasted Anaheim chiles, and cilantro.

Shrimp_CremaPalmitos-1.jpg

Crema de palmitos (pureed hearts of palm soup). Sauteed three bunches of chopped scallion whites and garlic, added chopped hearts of palm, pureed and heated with chicken stock, and finished with the chopped scallion greens. I had mine with crumbled feta cheese.

Shrimp_CremaPalmitos-2.jpg

Shrimp...ohhhhh it all looks amazing.

• Like 3

2" rib eye cooked over charcoal, twice baked potato with cheddar, chives and parsley, blanched green beans, and sauteed cremini mushrooms. Roasted marshmallows for desert and an after dinner drink. More details on the Cook Your Way Though Your Freezer Challenge thread over here.

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

I was craving Mexican, so dinner was Enchiladas de los Arcos from my favorite local Mexican place. The enchiladas were beef, with a cheese sauce on top. I gravitate between them and the basic Enchiladas Rancheras.

Hit the spot.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Oh boy.  Now I know exactly what I will do with the cauliflower in my crisper drawer.  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'd planned to use the charcoal grilled rib eye steak that was leftover from last night for a Philly cheese steak, but as my day progressed, I developed a craving for noodles and decided to take a different track with a beef and veggie stir fried noodle dish.

I prepped onion, cabbage, very finely grated carrot, jalapeno, very finely juliennned zucchini and diced Roma tomato. Then I cut my rare beef into thin strips, separating the fat from the leaner pieces. I rendered the fat over low heat while water for angel hair wheat pasta came to a boil. Leaving in the brown and crispy beef cracklings, in went the onions and cabbage. Let that go a few minutes and dropped the angel hair, which only takes about 3 minutes to cook. Now for the jalapeno and after a minute, the tomatoes and carrot. The carrots had been grated in my Mouli which makes snow drifts out of parmesan, so I knew it didn't need much cooking. Just before draining the pasta, I threw the zucchini on top of the stir fry. After draining, I added a little toasted sesame oil to the hot pasta pot, put the noodles back in and stirred it all up. In go the noodles to the stir fry with some crushed red chili and soy sauce. This all got stirred and as soon as it was hot, I added the rare beef and tossed only long enough to get it hot again. I actually preserved some of the rareness of the meat this way and the dish was hot both temp and spicewise.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

duck.jpg

Duck breast rubbed with Sichuan peppercorn and salt then pan fried in its own fat.

Fresh shiitake mushrooms stuffed/topped with garlic, red pepper, olive oil. Microwave steamed in their own juices.

Couscous with shichimi togarishi.

cut.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

炒牛奶, stir-fried milk with prawns, prawn roe, flying fish roe and crispy yu tiao doughnuts. Hong Kong comfort food is the best.

IMG_2087.JPG

IMG_2088.JPG

I must admit - this kind of scares me.....

The milk part, that is.

Everything else looks great :)