• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

DiggingDogFarm

Amazing Cooking Skill Videos...

17 posts in this topic

I'll start....

 

7 people like this

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist, contrarian and natural born skeptic who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, here goes:

 

 

 

 

There are more, but these are the first that spring to mind :)

 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I am exhausted from watching all these videos and need a little lie down now.  :P

4 people like this

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, chromedome said:

It's not really cooking, but this one floored me...

 

https://youtu.be/0ED7WMGCKmQ

Floored me and took away my appetite all in one.


Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could watch Pepin for days!   I want to rush out and buy 12 chickens so I can practice what he's teaching but at the end I doubt I could come even close to his technique or speed.  But what makes him such a good teacher is that he almost convinces me I could.  

9 people like this

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/02/2017 at 8:26 PM, Anna N said:

I could watch Pepin for days!   I want to rush out and buy 12 chickens so I can practice what he's teaching but at the end I doubt I could come even close to his technique or speed.  But what makes him such a good teacher is that he almost convinces me I could.  

 

Me too :)  After watching that video, I did cook a lot of chicken...  The technique is a very good one, and much easier than other, knife-heavy ones I've seen.  It doesn't take more than 10 minutes or so to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

 

Me too :)  After watching that video, I did cook a lot of chicken...  The technique is a very good one, and much easier than other, knife-heavy ones I've seen.  It doesn't take more than 10 minutes or so to do.

Hey,  I bought two Cornish hens yesterday!   He said you could do it to any bird in the same fashion. If I decide to try it on these tiny things I will be sure to report back. I am retired and answer to no one so I should have plenty of time to watch the video and bone the bird. I would consider it quite a feather in my cap if I am successful -- pun intended. 


Edited by Anna N (log)
5 people like this

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Hey,  I bought two Cornish hens yesterday!   He said you could do it to any bird in the same fashion. If I decide to try it on these tiny things I will be sure to report back. I am retired and answer to no one so I should have plenty of time to watch the video and bone the bird. I would consider it quite a feather in my cap if I am successful -- pun intended. 

 

 

Excellent!  It's a good thing to do with poussins too, and a way to make one bird feed two people (or one hungrier person).

 

I've tried it with a duck, with poor results.  This could, however, have been due to my incompetence.

 

I'd love to try it with a turkey...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why bother with all kinds of fancy knives?

 

dcarch

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 17, 2017 at 8:08 AM, jmacnaughtan said:

 

Excellent!  It's a good thing to do with poussins too, and a way to make one bird feed two people (or one hungrier person).

 

I've tried it with a duck, with poor results.  This could, however, have been due to my incompetence.

 

I'd love to try it with a turkey...

Well I sharpened my boning knife, pulled out a Cornish game hen and defrosted it,  put together a sausage and apple stuffing, tuned into Pepin's video and that was the end of that. My poor hen had so many tears in the skin that it would not have wrapped very much at all!   I looked back at the package and sure enough it was a utility grade. Don't know where my head was when I was shopping.  So on to Plan B for this little, tiny, imperfect bird.  


Edited by Anna N (log)
3 people like this

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Anna N said:

Well I sharpened my boning knife, pulled out a Cornish game hen and defrosted it,  put together a sausage and apple stuffing, tuned into Pepin's video and that was the end of that. My poor hen had so many tears in the skin that it would not have wrapped very much at all!   I looked back at the package and sure enough it was a utility grade. Don't know where my head was when I was shopping.  So on to Plan B for this little, tiny, imperfect bird.  

 

How disappointing! But please tell us: what was Plan B and did it taste good even if it didn't look like your initial vision?


MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

How disappointing! But please tell us: what was Plan B and did it taste good even if it didn't look like your initial vision?

 I simply stuffed it without deboning it. I posted a photo in the freezer challengs topic. 

1 person likes this

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just supermarket chicken for the first attempt. This is an amazing technique and the result is fabulous- succulent and crispy. The bird and the vegetable stuffing enhance and complement each so well. Pepin is new to me- what a guy!

IMG-20170319-WA0005.jpg

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good @Kerala

I've deboned and stuffed a lot of birds, turkeys, chickens, duck, pheasant, even game hens.

But I've always used a sharp knife and a lot of time. Just learned by doing.

I wish I would have seen Jacques Pepin video years ago.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've recently been hooked on the vintage French cooking videos from the INA archives on Youtube, so I thought it would be a good time to bump this thread.

 

Has anyone seen this technique before?  Here, Paul Bocuse removes all the tendons in a turkey's legs using a broom handle (start watching at the 10' mark).  Excellent video.  Obviously, it is in French, but hey.  It's Bocuse!

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.