• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mixology Monday CXVI : The Irish Wake

FrogPrincesse

Frederic Yarm of cocktail virgin slut is hosting his last Mixology Monday. The theme is the Irish Wake. I wanted to make sure not to miss this one!

For this theme, the approach is two fold. You can go traditional and generate or uncover a cocktail recipe calling for Irish whiskey. Alternatively, you can talk about a personal moment either where Irish whiskey played a role in life or where drinks in general helped the grieving process.

Full announcement here.

Entries are due Monday night at midnight, February 20th.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Just now, Craig E said:

I'm disappointed to see this series ending (or maybe better: regretful that I only caught onto it in month 94 of its 116-month run). 

Yeah, I am surprised that nobody seems to be taking over. But who knows, maybe someone will.

It is a shame to see it end, though I'm guilty of not being a very good participant. I think I did it maybe 3 or 4 times at the most during the time I've know of it's existence but I always took the time to check out what others did. I like these types of things, they push me to do things I probably wouldn't otherwise. There used to be a food related monthly challenge where the host picked the ingredients and people submitted whatever they created with it. I was a much more reliable participant in that one but it too came to an end (after a much shorter run). It's fairly easy to get people to participate in these types of things, the difficult part is keeping people participating over time and getting others to take turns with hosting duties on a consistent basis. That this one managed such a long run is a testament to the cocktail community.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.