• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Product use question - mixed grain

gfron1

Host's note: this topic was moved from its original location in Japan: Cooking to China: Cooking because of information in the second post.

I bought this because it looks like something I'd enjoy.  A mix of grains (millet, oat, lentil, black rice, brown rice and others) but I'm not sure how to use it. My guess, based on the photo, is to add sticky rice - I'm thinking I could do it all in my rice cooker and I'm guessing at a 2:1 ratio on the brown rice setting. The photo is a rice cake so i wonder if I need to add sugar and liquid like sushi. Any better advice? [btw, I posted this in Japan Cooking but some of the text looks Korean and the product is from Taiwan so I have no idea.]

IMAG1186.jpg

IMAG1187.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)

51 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

[btw, I posted this in Japan Cooking but some of the text looks Korean and the product is from Taiwan so I have no idea.]

No. The text is all Chinese.

I just saw this before going to bed, but I'll be happy to translate in the morning if no one gets there before me.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I've woken up!

You were certainly correct about the product being from Taiwan. This slowed down my translation as

a) The Chinese is in traditional characters, now only really used in Taiwan and Hong Kong (as well as among much of the Chinese diaspora), but not the writing system I am most familiar with - the simplified version used on the mainland.

b) Some of it is the Minnan dialect spoken in parts of Fujian province and in Taiwan.

Anyway, to get to the point. At first I translated it more or less literally, intending to reword later. But the literal seemed clear enough and somewhat amusing so I've left most of it as it was at first. I've spared you the marketing guff on the front of the pack and at the top of the back. I guess you just wanted the instructions. Here you go:

How to make “ten grains rice"naturally delicious and chewy.

1. Wash rice: Your action should be light and fast; pour water for a minute. Repeat wash 2-3 times.

2. Add water: The proportion should be right. A cup of grains needs 1-1.2 cup water (advice: electric rice cooker one cup)

3. Water quality is important: Try not to use tap water; it's better to use water from the water purifier.

4. Soak rice: Soak before cooking. Let rice absorb water. One hour in summer, two hours in winter.

5. Add oil: it is better to add a little olive oil or vegetable oil; the grains will become clear and crystal.

6. Cook rice: Just put it in the electric rice cooker.7. Stew rice: It must stew 20-30 minutes after cooking. After that you can lift the lid.

8. Separate rice: Stir the rice to release moisture and separate grains. 

9. Finished. Delicious and chewy grains are finished!

10. Rice preservation. Keep reserved cooked grain in electric cooker for no more than 12 hours.

11. Long term preservation: Divide the cooked grain into portions and freeze. To use, heat in a microwave oven for three minutes to warm up.

(with thanks to my friend Xie Kunyu for assistance with the harder words!)

Note: You may have noticed that sometimes I say rice; sometimes grains. The Chinese character is the same. Really it just means the mix in the bag,

Edited by liuzhou
acjnowledgement of help (log)
  • Like 3

By the way, these grain mixes are very common in China. I counted eight different combinations in my local supermarket this morning. On the mainland they are used to make what is called 八宝粥 - bā bǎo zhōu, literally 'eight treasure porridge', a type of mixed grain congee/rice porridge.

I've never seen them used to make cakes, but I have never been toTaiwan, so maybe. 

• 2 months later...

Anything further? I picked up a similar bag at our Asian (Korean-owned) market today. The writing on the bag looks Korean to me.

IMG_2475.thumb.jpg.d68577b854ea7f342aba084a79ef9edf.jpgIMG_2476.thumb.jpg.1e74d24c3a4573c8adf4dc478ae79d67.jpg

The 12 grains specified on the bag are brown rice, brown sweet rice, black rice, oat, barley, red sorghum, job's tear, black bean, red bean, peeled mung bean, sweet corn, and green pea. This is also the ingredient list on the back. The cooking directions leave a bit to be desired:

1. Soak 12 grain rice for 5 hours prior to cooking.

2. The use of pressure cooker will enhance your taste of the product. You can cook 12 grain with rice or itself with the pressure rice cooker or regular rice cooker.

I asked one of the employees at the store about it, and she said definitely soak it for 5 hours, but she'd had varying results in the pressure cooker and better luck on the stove. She also cautioned me to chew it well or it won't be digested well, adding that because of this, it's great for eating lower-carb.

Any guesses on a water:grain ratio: And any guesses about cooking time, either with or without a pressure cooker?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I followed the instructions that liuzhou translated and it was fine. The fact that I didn't make it a second time may say something. The range from oat to millet just didn't work because of how long each would cook to get to a perfect consistency.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

I followed the instructions that liuzhou translated and it was fine. The fact that I didn't make it a second time may say something. The range from oat to millet just didn't work because of how long each would cook to get to a perfect consistency.

Thanks for getting back on your results. I'm glad it wasn't a total disaster, but I understand why you haven't tried again. It isn't really my thing either.

• Like 1

On Wed Apr 26 2017 at 3:33 AM, MelissaH said:

The writing on the bag looks Korean to me.

Yes, that's Korean. Sorry, I recognise it as such, but can't read or translate.

However, on what I take to be the back of the pack, between the list of ingredients in English and the Cooking Instructions, there appears to be what may be Chinese (?). Too small on my cell phone to make out clearly.

I've just moved house and haven't reconnected to internet at home yet and it's a public holiday all weekend including Monday, but I'll check on Tuesday to see if I can see more clearly.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Thanks for getting back on your results. I'm glad it wasn't a total disaster, but I understand why you haven't tried again. It isn't really my thing either.

Sorry about that delay. Life has just been so topsyturvy lately. I love grains so I had high hopes. But I don't think this prepackaged mix is the answer for my cravings. Might feed it to the birds - they don't care what language the package is in.

• Like 2