• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

I find the blanket 'hatred' of the customers very disquieting. If, as the OP says, he is no longer working in the restaurant business, I think that is a good thing. I worked as a waitress in several restaurants for quite a few years - none of the wait staff in the restaurants where I worked had this attitude and if the kitchen staff did they hid it well. Sure, there were obnoxious customers and we all complained about them. But they certainly were a minority. And, as a customer, I have had more than a few obnoxious servers. Also, obnoxious receptionists in doctor's offices, obnoxious students when I was teaching, obnoxious store clerks - etc.,etc. etc. There are obnoxious people everywhere. To focus completely on them and ignore the others - who are cooperative, possibly friendly and, at the least, completely neutral, is a really negative and unhealthy attitude.

ElainaA

ElainaA

I find the blanket 'hatred' of the customers very disquieting. If, as the IP says, he is no longer working in the restaurant business, I think that is a good thing. I worked as a waitress in several restaurants for quite a few years - none of the wait staff in the restaurants where I worked had this attitude and if the kitchen staff did they hid it well. Sure, there were obnoxious customers and we all complained about them. But they certainly were a minority. And, as a customer, I have had more than a few obnoxious servers. Also, obnoxious receptionists in doctor's offices, obnoxious students when I was teaching, obnoxious store clerks - etc.,etc. etc. There are obnoxious people everywhere. To focus completely on them and ignore the others - who are cooperative, possibly friendly and, at the least, completely neutral, is a really negative and unhealthy attitude.