• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calling all basmati rice experts

benjamin163

Clearly there are many ways to cook rice. I have been cooking long grain rice for a million years; lately I have been using local CA Lundberg organic rice. I don't rinse it and I don't soak it. I toast it in a little butter and salt, then add water, about 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice, or slightly less. I let it come to a high simmer, turn the flame way way down, cover it, and cook until it just barely begins to stick to the bottom of the pan, somewhere between 10 and 15 minutes, although I don't time it. Just as it is starting to stick I turn off the flame and let it sit another few minutes off the burner, still covered. This will usually unstick any stuck rice. Then I take off the cover and let it sit another minute or two to let out the dampness. I wouldn't call the result "fluffy" exactly, but then I'm not sure what that means. My rice comes out distinct, not too soft, not mushy, just how I like it, so I'm good with that.

But here's my question: it sounds like many of you rinse or soak Indian basmati rice. Do you do this to all long-grain rice? And why? Should I be washing my rice for health reasons? I would be very resistant to soaking my rice, since it takes too much planning or just too much brainwork.   

When I looked on Amazon this morning, aged Royal rice is now priced at $16 for 20 lbs. with free shipping. Shopping on Amazon is getting more like shopping for airline tickets the way prices bounce around. So I went for it. Strangely, smaller quantities cost at least as much for the same rice. Go figure. 

I believe the major reason for washing rice is to remove the starch or at least some of the starch. I do not believe there is any longer a health reason to do so although some might argue with that. With basmati rice if you want distinct grains which most people do then it is good to get rid of as much starch as you can before you cook it. I almost always rinse basmati a few times and when I am really on the ball will soak it for 15-30 minutes.  Not sure if I can honestly tell any great difference.  In cultures where rice is the staple food it is treated with much more respect I think.  I am sure others will pipe up with their opinions. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The cuisine you are cooking/eating will also determine what kind of rice you need. See the following:  http://www.readersdigest.com.au/recipes/types-of-rice.asp

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

Here in China almost everyone washes their rice very carefully in several changes of water. This, I gather, is for two reasons: first to remove excess starch as has been mentioned; second, to remove dust. I follow their practice.

One friend washes her rice as above but saves the washing water from the first wash. This she lets settle so that the dust sinks (maybe China doesn't do floating dust) then uses the dust-free starchy water to wash her face. She claims it is an ancient beauty treatment. It must work, because she is beautiful in the extreme.

I should give it a try.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, Soupcon said:

The cuisine you are cooking/eating will also determine what kind of rice you need. See the following:  http://www.readersdigest.com.au/recipes/types-of-rice.asp

Oh dear. That article is terrible. Misleading at best. Downright inaccurate in places. Shallow beyond redemption. Typical Readers' Digest, in other words.

"The cuisine you are cooking/eating will also determine what kind of rice you need." (my emphasis)

No. It may determine what kind you prefer. And many cuisines use more than one kind.

I've started rinsing my basmati rice until the water runs clear before cooking it. I was turning out kind of gluey rice, and noticed someone else's on here that looked fluffy and separate grained, like I was eating in the excellent Indian restaurants we have here 

and was advised to rinse it thoroughly. Sheesh, no wonder it was gluey, because I rinse it the cooking pot probably ten times before the water is clear. The rice is heavy enough relative to the water, that you can just pour the water out of the pot. I tried it in my finest sieve, but some rice slipped through. 

Rinsing makes a big difference with basmati. 

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

6 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Rinsing makes a big difference with basmati. 

Correct. You can't treat basmati like just another long grain rice. Its not.

It should fluffy. Not sticky.

I once saw Madhur Jaffrey on TV say basmati rice "should be like brothers. Close but not stuck together."

Her words... not mine.

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Oh dear. That article is terrible. Misleading at best. Downright inaccurate in places. Shallow beyond redemption. Typical Readers' Digest, in other words.

"The cuisine you are cooking/eating will also determine what kind of rice you need." (my emphasis)

No. It may determine what kind you prefer. And many cuisines use more than one kind.

I prefer to eat basmati rice. But it is really difficult to eat basmati rice with chopsticks so when I cook Chinese/Japanese type dishes, the rice I do cook is a shorter grain with more surface starch so the grains when cooked are not mushy or gluey but do stick together. 

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

1 hour ago, Soupcon said:

I prefer to eat basmati rice. But it is really difficult to eat basmati rice with chopsticks so when I cook Chinese/Japanese type dishes, the rice I do cook is a shorter grain with more surface starch so the grains when cooked are not mushy or gluey but do stick together. 

They don't use chopsticks in Indian but its still great with a fork.

For most other dishes I use jasmine rice.

It is possible that CA grown Lundberg rice has not only less dust but less starch. When I get my Royal rice I am definitely going to try washing it various times to see how the end results compare: distinct grains vs sticky grains, etc. 

I am cooking lots of Chinese stir-fry these days, and have to say that I am pretty adept at eating distinct grains of basmati rice with chopsticks; wooden chopsticks, that is. I can imagine that the plastic jobs they give you in restaurants would make for a challenge if you didn't have at least somewhat sticky rice.

10 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I can imagine that the plastic jobs they give you in restaurants would make for a challenge if you didn't have at least somewhat sticky rice.

It helps to develop the Chinese rice-eating technique of holding the rice bowl next to your lips and using the chopsticks to shovel the rice into your mouth. It works with both sticky and non-sticky rice. Picking up individual grains is not something they do.

The most prized rice found here is not Chinese, but Thai. I seldom buy Chinese rice despite Thai being a lot more expensive. Many years ago, I had to go back to England for a couple of months and Chinese friends who had mocked me for buying Thai rice were begging me to give them what I had remaining in my rice store - in case it "went bad" while I was away.

I also sometimes buy Cambodian Jasmine Rice - pretty indistinguishable from Thai and marginally cheaper. I've never seen basmati in stores here, although it is available online. India/China relationships have never been great.

Edited by liuzhou (log)