• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef. The new chocolate?

DesertTinker

I was just at the grocery store, Vons (Safeway/Albertsons) and saw this while browsing the meat department. It actually made me laugh out loud. Woman near me looked at me like I was "special" until I lifted the article of my amusement, got an OMG from her.

IMG_0357.JPG

• Like 6

KFC in Canada is offering some sort of heart shaped chicken.   Dear God.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, DesertTinker said:

I was just at the grocery store, Vons (Safeway/Albertsons) and saw this while browsing the meat department. It actually made me laugh out loud. Woman near me looked at me like I was "special" until I lifted the article of my amusement, got an OMG from her.

IMG_0357.JPG

Why not just cook your loved one an ox heart?

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

18 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

IMG_0357.JPG

Not in my world! 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

14 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Not the new chocolate, they are just throwing the men of the world a bone, so to speak. 

Sounds good to  me... I don't require a heart-shaped steak but I'd prefer it over a heart-shaped box of chocolates.

Edit: sorry dcarch, as nice as that looks, I'd prefer a heart-shaped steak over heart-shaped tofu too.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 8

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On 2/10/2017 at 7:26 PM, DesertTinker said:

IMG_0357.JPG

The price is good these days for beef rib eye steak, and the portion is generous for two. Probably, the steak is a normal cut and just crammed into a heart shaped pink container. Raw meat is quite malleable and boneless rib eye is good. It might pulled off with a T-bone too, with more gaps in the tray. You would have to make sure you showed it off in the container before cooking for the heart presentation, though. As a person who has experienced much consternation at what to give a male for Valentines, I think this is the perfect, brilliant thing. I can't think of a man I know who wouldn't be thrilled with it, but I'm sure there are many vegetarians and beef haters among the male species as well. I would be thrilled with it as a woman too, much more so than candy.

In keeping with my matchless luck, though, this product has come out at a time where Valentines will be pretty much a nonevent for me for the first time I can remember.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

After reflection, I'm forced to acknowledge that this would have worked just fine for either of my wives, or my current GF. All three are/were much more carnivorous in their habits than I am. 

I really, really enjoy a steak every two or three years. Otherwise it's just something I cook on request, usually because there was a good sale. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I would be thrilled with it [...] much more so than candy.

Me too!!!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

17 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

The price is good these days for beef rib eye steak, and the portion is generous for two. Probably, the steak is a normal cut and just crammed into a heart shaped pink container. Raw meat is quite malleable and boneless rib eye is good. It might pulled off with a T-bone too, with more gaps in the tray. You would have to make sure you showed it off in the container before cooking for the heart presentation, though. As a person who has experienced much consternation at what to give a male for Valentines, I think this is the perfect, brilliant thing. I can't think of a man I know who wouldn't be thrilled with it, but I'm sure there are many vegetarians and beef haters among the male species as well. I would be thrilled with it as a woman too, much more so than candy.

In keeping with my matchless luck, though, this product has come out at a time where Valentines will be pretty much a nonevent for me for the first time I can remember.

The price shown *is* really good.  Our local Meijer is trying out this gag, only without heart shaped packaging.  They just butterfly an otherwise unsuspecting ribeye so it looks like a heart (well, not a real heart of course, but that B.S. shape that we're all told is heart shaped, even though it bears no resemblance to any internal organ - which, when you really come to think about it, is probably just as well).

Edited by IndyRob (log)