• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fines Herbes

GlorifiedRice

Hi,

Years ago I was researching spice blends and on Wikipedia they had authentic Fines Herbes listed as being a mix of 6 to 8 herbs, including garden cress and sweet cicely...I grew the garden cress and dried it and added it and tried growing sweet cicely, and a month before I could plant it outside (it returns every year) it suddenly died. Today I was going to order new seeds and just glanced at the Wiki entry again and all mention of garden cress and sweet cicely are gone.

So anyone who has olde [sic] cookbooks out there, what is in authentic Fines Herbes? Is it just the 4  or is it 6 or 8?

TIA

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

@GlorifiedRice

You made me curious so I pulled out some books. 

La Varenne Pratique  - (Anne Willan)  lists 3 herbs: tarragon, chives and chervil. She adds that parsley may be added.

On Food and Cooking (Harold McGee) - again three - tarragon, chives and chervil. No mention of parsley.

Joy of Cooking (Erma Rombaur) - 4 - tarragon, chives, chervil and parsley.

No one mentions cress or sweet cicely.

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina