• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corned Beef At Home: Recipes, Tips, etc.

richw

Missing my usual trip down to visit @patris - a good opportunity after St Patrick's day to picked up a few corned brisket pieces from Wegmans to pop in the freezer. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

For years when I lived in Hot Springs, I spent St. Pat's at the racetrack, watching the Rebel Stakes and eating corned beef sandwiches. Oaklawn gets their corned beef from somewhere in Chicago and cooks up about a million of 'em, and sells corned beef sandwiches for $10 with at least half a pound of meat on them.  They're wonderful.

Best brisket I ever corned was in fact not beef, but buffalo. Fine sandwiches. And let us not forget corned beef hash in our recitation of after-benefits of St. Pat's.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 3/20/2021 at 9:26 AM, dans said:

I do my grocery shopping on Saturdays. I made a special trip to one of the green grocers in the area since I have my brother and his wife coming for dinner. Corned Beef was still at $8.99/lb. I would have picked up a couple for the freezer but skipping it for now.

It was a similar situation at the Walmart Grocery Store. "Why reduce the price just because the holiday has passed? They'll still buy it full-price".

It wasn't priced as highly as yours at the Walmart and it turned out to be the worst piece of meat (tough as shoe leather!) I've ever purchased, at Walmart or elsewhere.

Live and learn...>:(

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 11 months later...

Brisket on deck, ready to start the curing process. I'm doing an equilibrium "dry brine".  Possibly heresy and presumably not gonna be able to call it corned beef but this being eGullet, just curious if anyone has cured a brisket in the style of corned beef but using non-traditional flavors? Something other than various takes on the standard "pickling spice" blend. Part of me wants to give it a shot, part of me doesn't want to risk a nice from the farm brisket on an experiment. 

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

have nt checked prices

Im sure the Stop&Shop  point is not going to be 

$ 1.49  / lbs     Tj's CB  8.99 / lbs

Here are our current prices in Southern California at Vons.

0DB6C396-602E-41E5-A9B7-976B5379D9FD.thumb.jpeg.bba3957fa4a7529dd37d3ed33dccf21a.jpeg1DD42556-5FC6-4371-A3D6-2BA93DA0DA66.thumb.jpeg.cc4ab8fd844f9a2ec98a18a916f2192d.jpeg

They’re part of the Albertsons family of stores.

14DF3296-0D10-45CB-A417-080810F450E1.thumb.jpeg.0e5d6d7b072447fca71f858556f60c7f.jpeg

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Brisket on deck, ready to start the curing process. I'm doing an equilibrium "dry brine".  Possibly heresy and presumably not gonna be able to call it corned beef but this being eGullet, just curious if anyone has cured a brisket in the style of corned beef but using non-traditional flavors? Something other than various takes on the standard "pickling spice" blend. Part of me wants to give it a shot, part of me doesn't want to risk a nice from the farm brisket on an experiment. 

I dry brine brisket as a routine. Salt, pink salt, allspice, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder rubbed in and refrigerated for about 1 day per 2cm of thickness of the brisket. Rationale is that salts penetrate about a cm/day and its coming in from both sides. 

I cook SV typically with about a cup of water in the bag for 2 days, 150 or so.  Nice product...tastes like deli corned beef.

I'll fight anyone who says it isn't corned beef

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2

I remember the days 

when I used to get over 10 ' packs '

of Stop%Shop brand point for SV

maybe more some years

Im guessing I have a few packs Fz 

downstairs .  I might get one out

some mustard  , Ice Cold Hoponius Union 

Ill play a Requiem , and e enjoy the CB !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I dry brine brisket as a routine. Salt, pink salt, allspice, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder rubbed in and refrigerated for about 1 day per 2cm of thickness of the brisket. Rationale is that salts penetrate about a cm/day and its coming in from both sides. 

I cook SV typically with about a cup of water in the bag for 2 days, 150 or so.  Nice product...tastes like deli corned beef.

I'll fight anyone who says it isn't corned beef

Yep, pretty much exactly what I normally do with a few additions to the spice blend and I don't add water to the SV bag. But I'm thinking something way outside of the normal. Nothing really in common with the corned beef flavor profile. The salt and curing salt plus I'm not sure what at this point. But I'm cutting it close on time for St. Patrick's day so I'll probably stick with my usual for this brisket and experiment on something else when I have more time to think about it.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Days Gone By :   2017 :

CB1.thumb.jpg.3bfc5c98c0f95b2dca358ceed74ba799.jpg.dd4a0abc33cb17836f4f7707d2390fcb.jpg

CBP11.thumb.jpg.d567355a2ac0fb0b8db6f5f30f6718ce.jpg.d325349118109b53775161cc41c32140.jpg

CBP16.thumb.jpg.cf037aa5336ab7390d04eb0300b8538e.jpg.e68eecdf29f2580e89f0dfe9bfff4a1d.jpg

trimmed and bag'd

58c2d46a415e0_20CBbags.thumb.jpg.517014d868e189ce1a4768b5250e0e36.jpg.acccfd1d77dcd6fe89b2ca251b61a2f3.jpg

about 20 + bags in the large cooler , using the SousVideMagic !

some , after cooking  142.5 F  for 48 (?)  

cold smoked on the Weber  ( its not on , just the pellet smoke )

_jjpg.thumb.jpg.ed43256faa4e95d3a753b2b763cf22c6.jpg.2565ff993c4889c0feb922a6a1c66a37.jpg

these had ( have , if Im lucky ) a nice smoke flavor that was not harsh

rebag'd and t

hoping to find just one pack !

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@Tri2Cook I'm interested in the flavors you have in mind.  Whatchadoing?

That's the thing, I don't have anything in particular in mind right now. Thought a little eGullet fishing trip might inspire some ideas. Google found nothing no matter how I worded the search but there's no way somebody hasn't already had the same thought. I have a container of chipotles in adobo I pureed hanging out in my freezer. Maybe add a few appropriate spices to some of that along with the salt and curing salt. Or a similar approach with a Thai red curry paste. Not really sure, just a couple things that came.to mind quickly.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Ill tell you this :

cheap CB  ( this was standard in my area )

( you had to get your cuts early in the sale , as the week-of , they ran out and got ' subs '

which were terrible ! )   ( but they fulfilled there add right to the end ! )

SouvideMagic     ( how many of you had this as your gateway to SV ? )

a large ColmanCooler   

great fun at the time , and it evolved to the cold smoke.

• Like 5

Market Basket ad next week :

mb.thumb.jpg.8981b2e2333439048abca953a671c84c.jpg

their prices were similar to S&S back in the day , but the quality was a bit better @ S&S

you did have to sort out what was in the bin and turn over the packs to get an idea

on what you were buying .

next week's S&S ad has no listing for CB on sale 

drunk.jpeg.fe8e9a09758b3d5c6eea85c3324610a5.jpeg

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Aldi had points on sale last week. I bought two. Braised one so far. It was the saltiest corned beef I ever prepared. I rinsed it well before I cooked it. I have purchased corned beef from Aldi in years past and always enjoyed it. I am thinking of soaking the remaining one in several changes of cold water before I cook it.

• Like 1

I was @ MB this AM

and succumbed to a single point cut CB :

IMG_0838.thumb.jpg.8b29cb72f1d82f4054e30b4c82d75f44.jpg

IMG_0841.thumb.jpg.4a077ec63ece283af6db57fa85dc64d0.jpg

Ill trim less fat off than earlier Rx's , I can always trim after cooking

all will be cold smoked after 48 H 142.5 F

Im pretty sure I did 48 H .

I was thinking sbout getting two , but I controlled myself.

I know Ill regret that in the summer , CB ( lightly smoked ) sandwiches are

fantastic .  

not as fantastic as Montreal Hot Smoked Meat 

but there it is .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

@cyalexa 

in the past i was never very successful 

removing much of the salt by soaking.

I tried it many times.

then I got around to Cold Soaking

sliced cooked meat , even using ice cubes to keep that fat

firm .   that worked well .  patted dry and the used :

thicker cuts re-thermed for a CB dinner

thinner cuts used for a sandwich.

that made a bit difference.

I decided to start today :

IMG_0846.thumb.jpg.a76370c878f5ef0f9f5fe0464fbcefbc.jpg

I cut the CB in 1/2  , then into three pieces :

trimmed very little fat off the surface

remarkable fine Point , in my experience 

and got these 6 trances 

one had a little flap , so it got tied.

I was pleased to use a Granton "" ultra utility ''' knife

Ive used extensively in the past :

IMG_0849.jpg.6fc98a309ba321d3cac52c873f1860a7.jpg

the top one.

nice

of course , only 3 cuts !

baged , Vac'd ,

in the SV ' Beer Cooler ' :

IMG_0853.thumb.jpg.c08c0dc30edc81c1e5d746829ee2f3ee.jpg

this seems ' tight ' , but with the insulation of the cooler 

and my expert management  [ ed.:  a swirl 2x / day ]

the temps are fine 

heavy duty bubble warp on th surface

and Im set , unit tomorrows swirl .

cold smoke , in 48 hrs 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

@Duvel 

nice  

I remember , some time ago

there were 'bags ' one might buy

and then a large cut of meat

would be hygienically place in it

then vac sealed 

and place in your ReFrig

for , what ? 30 days , etc ?

then carefully trimmed or the ' pretty odd bits '

and you would get 

nicely aged meat

at your 3o day or ++ point

never got to it 

is this similar ?

I do know its gong to be tasty when you finish !

• Like 2

This is just a regular SV bag. The brisket was dusted with a ground mixture of sugar, pepper, allspice, juniper, mustard seeds, coriander, mace, dried garlic and dried ginger and - of course - pink salt. It‘ll cure for the next 10 days and cooked to tender perfection in a SV bath …

• Like 2