• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corned Beef At Home: Recipes, Tips, etc.

richw

there id no reasonable explanation

because it does not exist.

why corned beef ?

ConAgra  or AgraCon ?

Im sure it has something to do

dans le plate

with what "" Irish "" ate 

it boiled  ( to death )

but its escapes me

and in the Era Before 

in Irish immigrant neighborhoods 

it was a time to have a '' traditional ""

boiled dinner 

and drink a lot of beer and

do foolish things 

https://www.history.com/topics/st-patricks-day/history-of-st-patricks-day

29 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Something I've never understood. Why does America 'celebrate' St. Patrick's Day at all? Don't tell me it's only those with Irish ancestry.

And why corned-beef, something Patrick almost certainly never ate? He certainly didn't drink Guinness which wasn't invented until around 1200 years after his time.

And he wasn't Irish!

Can anyone point me to a rational eplanation? i have looked.

As many cultures do, we clutch at excuses for holidays. After Valentines on Feb 14 there is a gap till Easter which jumps around. Plus it is portrayed as happy jolly  with a "green light" for all day boozing AND you get to pinch anyone who does not wear something green. That is my take from the marketing/consumer angle.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Can anyone point me to a rational explanation? i have looked.

If you cannot discover the reasoning then I am not even going to try!  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Something I've never understood. Why does America 'celebrate' St. Patrick's Day at all? Don't tell me it's only those with Irish ancestry.

Why do Americans celebrate Cinco de Mayo? It's not just American Mexicans who celebrate the day (and they don't really....the important day to celebrate for Mexican Americans is actually in September 16th which is Mexican Independence Day).

As for St. Paddy's Day, it's a reason to drink alcohol and eat good food. Who needs an excuse?

And why corned-beef, something Patrick almost certainly never ate? 

As for the corned beef...it's an American knock-off of something the Irish ate back in the old country. More here (click).

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Something I've never understood. Why does America 'celebrate' St. Patrick's Day at all?

We have a Catholic church near us that has a "French Market" event every year.  We also have a Greek Orthodox church that hosts a greek festival annually.

One of the perks of living in a multicultural society is being able to pile onto/into ethnic events.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Why do Americans celebrate Cinco de Mayo? It's not just American Mexicans who celebrate the day (and they don't really....the important day to celebrate for Mexican Americans is actually in September 16th which is Mexican Independence Day).

As for St. Paddy's Day, it's a reason to drink alcohol and eat good food. Who needs an excuse?

And why corned-beef, something Patrick almost certainly never ate? 

As for the corned beef...it's an American knock-off of something the Irish ate back in the old country. More here (click).

I like any holiday anywhere to celebrate and make different food than "normal" .  

It's dumping snow here --also the traditional day here in KS to plant potatoes.  Not happening :)  We are all cozy and warm and looking forward to homemade corned beef.

• Like 5

True, corned beef isn't Irish.  Green beer isn't Irish.  St. Patrick wasn't Irish and he didn't introduce Christianity to Ireland nor did he banish all the snakes. St. Patricks Day in Ireland is a religious  holiday. In the United States it's based in part on what Irish immigrants ate in America because they were too poor to afford much of anything else.  And they didn't  save it for once a year.  Our St. Patricks day is an Irish/ American concept embellished and enlarged upon by some  people who would have trouble finding Ireland on a map.  It's a fun holiday for anyone who wants to eat and drink too much and pretend they are a little bit Irish, if only for a day. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

True, corned beef isn't Irish.  Green beer isn't Irish.  St. Patrick wasn't Irish and he didn't introduce Christianity to Ireland nor did he banish all the snakes. St. Patricks Day in Ireland is a religious  holiday. In the United States it's based in part on what Irish immigrants ate in America because they were too poor to afford much of anything else.  And they didn't  save it for once a year.  Our St. Patricks day is an Irish/ American concept embellished and enlarged upon by some  people who would have trouble finding Ireland on a map.  It's a fun holiday for anyone who wants to eat and drink too much and pretend they are a little bit Irish, if only for a day. 

Yup.

And St P's day gives me a reason to have CB leftovers for reubens.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Yes. But why St. Patrick's Day? Why not, say, St. Andrew's Day? Equal opportunity to eat, drink and be merry.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

55 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Yes. But why St. Patrick's Day? Why not, say, St. Andrew's Day? Equal opportunity to eat, drink and be merry.

Oh hell why St Valentine? Allegedly the arrival of Christianity in Ireland but ?   Yes I know the Christianization of ancient rites like Halloween, Easter etc but nobody cares. It is goofy and does not hurt; merchants especially.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

nobody cares

I do. Out of idle curiosity. It is a bit odd when you think about it.

1 hour ago, heidih said:

It is goofy and does not hurt; merchants especially.

Yes, but that doesn't explain why St. Pat in particular. It could be any 'saint'.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

A friend of mine - Newfoundland Irish - jokingly refers to the whole exercise as "cultural inappropriation."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

an excuse to sell more stuff.

CB is rarely cooked for most people 

here in USofA outside SPD.

and @gfweb is correct.

its the Pre-day to CBsandwiches.  CB is also much cheaper

2 weeks before SPD  ( in the East , neat BOS )

it gets people in the mood to buy stuff at the grocery store.

I have no idea if CB was ever on sale in California , where I grew up.

and I used to SV 10 - 12 CB , cut down to 1/4 size 

SV , then lightly cold smoke , re-bag and freeze

cheap , very very tasty , and I still have a few bags in the freezer(s).

makes a fine sandwich any time , esp the cold smoked , esp in the summer 

when it warm

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Had to go to the store today to get prescriptions so did some shopping.  Corned beef on sale for 2.99/lb which is good for around here.  I now have 4 corned beefs in the freezer for later :) 

Sounds like me...I have three in the freezer but I'm not sure I can stop myself from buying yet another.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Shelby said:

Had to go to the store today to get prescriptions so did some shopping.  Corned beef on sale for 2.99/lb which is good for around here.  I now have 4 corned beefs in the freezer for later :) 

I do my grocery shopping on Saturdays. I made a special trip to one of the green grocers in the area since I have my brother and his wife coming for dinner. Corned Beef was still at $8.99/lb. I would have picked up a couple for the freezer but skipping it for now.

Edited by dans (log)

My husband decided he wanted corned beef so he bought a small Nathan's bagged corned beef/seasonings included and I'm simmering it so it will be ready for dinner tonite. No traditional sides, made coleslaw per his request (hey, it's cabbage) and he bought some potato knishes (see? potato). I do not eat beef, so it will be all his for the next 2 days.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

52 minutes ago, dans said:

I do my grocery shopping on Saturdays. I made a special trip to one of the green grocers in the area since I have my brother and his wife coming for dinner. Corned Beef was still at $8.99/lb. I would have picked up a couple for the freezer but skipping it for now.

Yeah, that's a bit pricey.  That's what it is when it's not on sale here.

42 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Yeah, that's a bit pricey.  That's what it is when it's not on sale here.

Here it seems non existent except around this time.