• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corned Beef At Home: Recipes, Tips, etc.

richw

there were no exceptional deals on CB @ Stop & Shop  this year

one package , @  $ 1.88 or so  point w a $ 20 purchase.

at MarketBasket , I picked  up one point , $ 1.69  

I didn't feel the urge to go into production .  and tat was well before Corona.

• Sad 1

a bit Ot :

this same sort of pricing scheme happened to Turkey  FZ  before thanksgiving 

used to  be you could get a decent [ sic ] Fz turkey for $ 0.49  or  $ 0.;59  a bit later

now only w a $ 20 purchase .   way back when at S&S  when they were $ 0.49

Id see people fill up their carts , and many were taken to foodBanks.

MarketBasket has them from time to time for $ 0.69      no other requirement 

than paying and lugging them to your car.

economics of grocery  has changed    and that was pre-Corona

Yeah they were limiting only one w/$25 purchase. I only ended buying two points this year for $1.88/lb because of it. Don't get me wrong, I can make outstanding Pastrami but its not something im willing to pay $$$ for. Pastrami on Rye is definitely in my top 5 sandwiches but it's #5, not #1.

I am actually making Pastrami on Rye tonight. I'll post pics later tonight.

Edited by FeChef (log)

I buy the biggest corned beef brisket in the Sam's meat case. Cook in the Instant Pot. Serve with potatoes, carrots, onions, turnips, cabbage & all the trimmings. It's a huge favorite meal in our house. The Instant Pot makes cooking it a breeze. 

• Like 5

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

1 hour ago, Jaymes said:

I buy the biggest corned beef brisket in the Sam's meat case. Cook in the Instant Pot. Serve with potatoes, carrots, onions, turnips, cabbage & all the trimmings. It's a huge favorite meal in our house. The Instant Pot makes cooking it a breeze. 

Where you been ? Great to see you.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I'm putting this here even though it's goose.  Corned some goose breasts.  Did them in the IP for an hour and a half.  Good texture and ok taste.....I think next time I need to inject them with the brine and use more pickling spice.  

thumbnail_IMG_7743.jpg.6a1e7e49590891421cc05126e75f44cc.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7744.jpg.5e7eb71f08779d63845f2a8c03d6d5dd.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm putting this here even though it's goose.  Corned some goose breasts.  Did them in the IP for an hour and a half.  Good texture and ok taste.....I think next time I need to inject them with the brine and use more pickling spice.  

Wild?

• 10 months later...

I noticed my store is selling the point cut for $1 more per pound than the flat cut.

I always thought the flat cut was best as the grains is more regular.

Which is really the better cut?

5 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I usually go 140F for 48hrs, but want to go higher/faster this year. Kenji suggests 180F for 10 hours. Anyone got experience with higher temps?

Same here. Most of the temperature/time combinations for a  “traditional” texture aim for 82 oC (180 F) and 10h. I found one recipe using that temperature and 8h cooking time and it seems to work fine, too. Some compare it to crockpot results, which usually use a setting that goes up to 85 oC and a cooking time of 8h.

So, although it doesn’t help you in terms of first hand experience, I will go for 82 oC and 10h this year ...

• Like 1

@lindag 

there are two pectoral muscles , on Man and Beast

the point is the Minor , and under the Major , which is the flat.

the point in beef has more intra-muscular fat , and more fat around the

cut that's in the bag you buy.   And more connective tissue i think.

\

the actual muscle in each tastes the same, 

but depending on your cooking method , the point might have more fat 

within the muscle , and thus have more flavor.   the flat cooked by the same method (s)

\w/0 the fat , tends to dry out.

SV is a very fine way to cook CB , but it will take more time.

but you can do it ahead in the bag , chill , and re-therm.

use the bag juices to cook the potatoes , carrots and cabbage.

• Like 3

In my high temp experiment I ended up going for 9 hours at 175F. Definitely had more moisture loss than 48hrs at 140 and had a firmer texture, but for the purposes of making a delicious sandwich, it was a perfectly acceptable time/temp combo.

Obligatory Reuben:

08B6B0A6-9743-4063-AEF6-23664DFBA72F.thumb.jpeg.7623b1f924e87405f5fce0bbda9907e5.jpeg

I also made some pastrami, but it’ll be a few days before I feel able to eat such a sandwich. Need some time to recover from this one!

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Im pleased you are enjoying your sandwich 

How ever :

the meat :

"" Definitely had more moisture loss ""

would that moisture loss have added to the deliciousness 

of your sandwich ?  had it not been lost ?

""  a delicious sandwich, "

""  perfectly acceptable time/temp combo. ""

but not 

way beyond acceptable ?

I only mention this for others :

SV : so easy to do ahead , and store.

time, therefore is not an issue w SV

True Students of SV understand this

once understood ,  

its possible to

easily 

be way way way 

beyond

" acceptable '

but to all of us . 

to each of us , our own

Im enjoying  a 48 H x 140 F

trance , that's 2 year old !

delici9us then , still delicious now.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Time is definitely an issue with SV. You can work around it by cooking strategically, sure, but sometimes you just have to cook something more quickly than lower temps allow. I am a big proponent of cooking in batches at low temps for long times and freezing the surplus, but I only buy corned beef once a year and I don't have unlimited freezer space, so my stores are usually depleted sometime in the fall. This time, I was in a time crunch to make a Reuben kit/gift-bag for a family member who was returning home after a long hospital stay, and I'd already eaten all my frozen 48/140F corned beef from last year. Even the best True Students of SV sometimes need something cooked right-the-****-now. This was one of those times.

As for the moisture loss and acceptability, I honestly don't think it mattered for the way that I was preparing it. I slice my corned beef across the grain as thinly as is possible without the use of a deli slicer. If you're going to eat big hunks of corned beef and cabbage, or for some reason like really thick slices on the sandwich, it's probably worth it to go the extra time. But if you like it thinly sliced? And are going to be slathering it with Russian dressing, kraut, and melted cheese? I don't think that the extra time makes for a better product. I'm not even sure it makes for an appreciably different product by the time it's on the plate; my Reuben was as delicious as it always is (and I've always gone 48/140 previously). Of course, I didn't do the Pepsi Challenge and compare them side by side. But the meat was tender and not-at-all-dry. You could have piled it twice as high and still bitten cleanly through it without a struggle (except, perhaps, for the initial discomfort of unhinging your jaw). Even though the brisket was cut from the flat, it was nevertheless on point. Way beyond acceptable. 10/10, would make again.

Edited by btbyrd
Profanity. Apparently, this is a "Fanily Forum." (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

???

1 )  """  perfectly acceptable """

is now 

2 ) "" Way beyond acceptable. ""

well all our personal standards are after all , our own.

"  right the fuck now ''

as this is  Fanily Forum

won't comment

""  Students of SV ....  "

no they don't.

sill Im pleased you personally enjoyed your resuts

1 ) or now 2 )

others , through experience w SV

have already ( experienced ) the totality of the SV Threads here,

might look at the process differently 

or those just starting out

might read over the entire SV thread

then might give your version SV 

at those temps

some thought.

id just say to the New-Bees :

read over the thread .

then decide for yourself.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Enjoy everyone. I can’t stand it. Ironically my birthday is St. Patrick’s Day and my paternal family is 100% Irish. I’m definitely going to indulge in seafood or Asian food or both! 

Happy birthday!

• Like 3

When we picked up our Fish & Chips from the local Catholic church we inquired about their St. Patrick's day dinner.   Seems they're going to try to have it in July.

This town is only about 2500 population.  I don't know how big the congregation is.

The St. P dinner is their really important fund raiser and it normally draws a big crowd.  I'm sure they're hoping they can have a 'normal' event and hold it indoors.  Last year they just had to cancel it altogether.  That was really a shame since they put together the very best corned beef I've ever had.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Enjoy everyone. I can’t stand it. Ironically my birthday is St. Patrick’s Day and my paternal family is 100% Irish. I’m definitely going to indulge in seafood or Asian food or both! 

You and my cousin Pat. :P (My uncle married into a very Catholic family; in fact when her parents died they donated their family property as the site for a church to be built for their growing community.)

Happy birthday!

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Something I've never understood. Why does America 'celebrate' St. Patrick's Day at all? Don't tell me it's only those with Irish ancestry.

And why corned-beef, something Patrick almost certainly never ate? He certainly didn't drink Guinness which wasn't invented until around 1,200 years after his time.

He was never canonised as a saint.

And he wasn't Irish!

Can anyone point me to a rational explanation? i have looked.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto