• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corned Beef At Home: Recipes, Tips, etc.

richw

@rotuts  What is high quality bubble wrap as opposed to normal bubble wrap and where do you get it?  You're corned beef looks lovely but I think that sandwich needed a bit more lettuce.🙃

I "corned" my beef braising ribs and took two of the ribs and they are cooking SV.  I have done them this way many times, but never corned.  They are cooking at 133F for a planned 48 hours.  I put a bit of pickling spice in the bag.  They were well rinsed before they went in  The rest of the ribs are simmering on the stove with a planned cooking time of 3 hours.  After rinsing and covering them with fresh water I added a couple of tablespoons of pickling spice.  Hopefully they will be edible.

• Like 2

@ElsieD

Ha Ha on the greens !

Im trying my best to be Greener !

the bubble wrap in question came from

https://www.zwilling.com/us/

where I bought some new MR glasses :

https://www.zwilling.com/us/zwilling-sorrento-9-oz-double-wall-tumbler-glass-2-pc-set/39500-211.html?cgid=tabletop_glassware

easy for me to clean by hand , and stable.  I live then

they wrapped up this shipment and another w bubble warp that I could not part with

high end plastic , thick w just the right end of bubbles

who knew ?

what surprised me after using the Staples Clear Packing Tape

I though the tape would rip apart the bubble warp

but after 48 H , and 135 F and some humidity 

it all pealed off fine.

get some MR glasses !

save the bubble warp for SV !

Win and Win again 1

I live in the Pittsburgh area.  There used to be a place that carried Sy Ginsburg (out of Detroit) corned beef briskets this time of year, but they went out of business.  This is the brisket that Zingerman's Deli uses.   I was in Michigan two weeks ago, it was stupid of me not to seek them out.  I found this brisket to be the right amount of fat to meat, really unctuous, unlike many other of the prepackaged, pre spiced briskets.

Next year, may again do a real homemade, cured brisket which I have done before.   The best thing about corned beef and cabbage meal?    The day after where the leftover brisket is turned into Rueben sandwiches.

22 hours ago, rotuts said:

My results for this year :

I PM'd  @dcarch to review the times he has used.    I have used 140 F for 24 - 216 and was happy w it for Point @ sale.

I decided to try 130 F for 24 then 135 F for 24.  I was wondering if some time at 130 f might decrease meat contraction.

I used my Igloo 30 Qt for the first time

https://www.target.com/p/igloo-contour-30-cooler/-/A-15373010

the foot print is not that much larger then the Coleman 16 qt

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-16-Quart-Excursion-Cooler-Blue/dp/B00GZQ80BE/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_vtp_ses_clicks_0_7/131-8559044-3212828?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00GZQ80BE&pd_rd_r=2a0467cd-2b25-4e5f-9234-b9475f69aad1&pd_rd_w=dciVZ&pd_rd_wg=cJ33j&pf_rd_p=05d75987-58ed-4d36-bbfa-515cd87e4ee3&pf_rd_r=12XBN1SBJTMN031E1YN9&psc=1&refRID=12XBN1SBJTMN031E1YN9

but its deeper.   I used the Anova bluetooth and it handled the extra volume fine.   I also used high end bubble wrap , w some clear packing tape around the edges to seal in the

water vapor.   the cooler and the bubble wrap worked fine w the Anova .  no water loss over 48 ++ hours

rapid cool in the sink w snow "

L1.thumb.jpg.34df069cc147401b360b6565467aaadb.jpg

out of the pouches :

L2.thumb.jpg.4f01e176a013d3d5e4e9a08757032884.jpg

I forgot to rinse off the meat , thus the protein looking coolor on some of the surfaces   it does not effect taste ,

L3.thumb.jpg.d6ad49c10c98c996e48f5befffd2fbb2.jpg

smoker set up

L4.thumb.jpg.4e49fec33aacf177439cac6dbdbe0b55.jpg

smoking in progress.  one your w applewood chips,  this is the first time I tried these , and the smoke seemed a bit harsh.  the snow on the top of the Weber

keeps the enclosure cool , as it was a mid 40's day , but sunny and the sun was warm !

L5.thumb.jpg.fe29aa579a08fec40dd5770e9122337b.jpg

finished smoking.  note the 1 Qt of ' Jus ' from the bags8.thumb.jpg.7b2216ac533db58e40613f1edfd84019.jpg

I added two x 2 Tbs of jus to each bag.  thats a Cuisipo 2T coffee bean measure I no longer use for coffee.   I refrigerated the bags

I think 2 T of just went back into the meat while in the refrigerator .   I thad noted , even on cold smokes , the surface of the meat , both Turkey and CB  dry out a little

this solve that issue.  I refrigerate for a few days before I freeze so that some of that Jus can get back in the meat

L6.thumb.jpg.277c293e6c29016541ca314303ec6082.jpg

bags ready for the freezer.   not that attractive looking , so I wont pass these around as Gifts.  notes made in the Red Notebo0ok to not forget a final rinse of the meat

next year.

tow different cuts all point :

L7.thumb.jpg.ce4b852f0ac9b6d61272d0231a8f0436.jpg

and

L8.thumb.jpg.f9cdf8923b5ed253e84c8e0682da5268.jpg

both tasted fine

l(.thumb.jpg.89b5ecc80dc70592074a87641a12c55b.jpg

mise for a sandwich , on saurdough :

L10.thumb.jpg.bd7678293983547b94149b8ea02e9bb1.jpg

all in all I learned several things this year :

the 130 x 24 + 135 x 24  was not that different from 140 24 + as far as I can recall.   both made fine sandwiches  .  I have not tried this years crop as

a CB dinner.   I froze  6 oz of left over Jus in a brick to bring out when I make the potatoes / carrots / cabbage for a hot dinner in the iPot.

a final rinse is important for appearance sake be fore bagging for the SV cooking.   save the Jus and add to the new bags of cold-smoked CS

some will be reabsorbed.   the harshness of this particular pellet concerned me , but diminished after re-bagging for 24 H in the refrigerator 

it did not adversely affect the final sandwich.   from now on , Ill try to remember :  if the smoke is harsh , maybe only 30 min cold smoke.

the most important lesson for me is that the Igloo 30 qt is easy to use and well mated to the Anova / bubble wrap set up.

I could easily have added   6 - 7 full sized CB's   ( remember i trim them down ) to the 30 Qt w no issues at all. I used three  CB's here 

noted in an earlier post.    the 48 Hr cook was no problem at all and no extra work.  

clearly its time for me to retire the 48 at set-up upstairs using the SVMagic.

a P.S.: on the Igloo / Anova set up :    the Coleman 16 qt easily SV's  two whole 7 - 8 lbs Turkey breasts that I bone out , into 4 packs , 

the Igloo will easily hold at least twice that amount w only a sl larger foot print.

Its a fine set up if you SV in bulk as I do.

the small Coleman 

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Excursion-Portable-Cooler-Quart/dp/B000G62SJE/ref=pd_bxgy_468_img_3/131-8559044-3212828?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000G62SJE&pd_rd_r=558a4aeb-48ce-11e9-969f-a1ee2b4b46aa&pd_rd_w=DSPBi&pd_rd_wg=uA4XL&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=F7WEFW220TY7C4941M8G&psc=1&refRID=F7WEFW220TY7C4941M8G

I use for small experiments and Re-Heats.

In 45-35 degree days, I have used my gas grill (not turned on) or Weber kettle to be the vessel to cold smoke cured salmon.  People spend a lot of money on these smokers to cold smoke, but I found if the temperature is cold enough (but not too cold) it is relatively easy to smoke using a grill that is not fired up, aluminum foil containers containing the wood chips and a rack and thermometer and smoke the cured salmon 4-6 hours.   Just want a light, not heavy hit of smoke.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Owtahear said:

In 45-35 degree days, I have used my gas grill (not turned on) or Weber kettle to be the vessel to cold smoke cured salmon.  People spend a lot of money on these smokers to cold smoke, but I found if the temperature is cold enough (but not too cold) it is relatively easy to smoke using a grill that is not fired up, aluminum foil containers containing the wood chips and a rack and thermometer and smoke the cured salmon 4-6 hours.   Just want a light, not heavy hit of smoke.  

This works well.  I used to do the foil wrapped chips. but converted to the thingy pictured in @rotuts post. Works great with less mess.  You do need to buy the pellets though.

• Like 1

I really like my " thingy "  and have a large collection of wood-pelleets  .  probably too large.

this is the Thingy :

https://www.amazon.com/Maze-N-Pellet-Smoker-Filled-Pellets/dp/B01MZ76568/ref=pd_day0_hl_86_6/131-8559044-3212828?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01MZ76568&pd_rd_r=436bad70-498c-11e9-a766-6d993f35ddd7&pd_rd_w=ZVAKs&pd_rd_wg=tYg1N&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=92M7ZBQA29CZY1S3A48C&psc=1&refRID=92M7ZBQA29CZY1S3A48C

it only use 3 " for a 1 hour smoke.   

@Owtahear

we must be doing something different  ;  4 to 6 hr  in my set up would massively overpower salmon w smoke

anyway , welcome aboard.

• 11 months later...

Bumping this one up, as it's about that time of year.

I have about a 3-pound corned beef flat cut from the grocery. I recall last time I cooked one, I did so in the IP, cooking the meat first, then adding the potatoes, carrots and cabbage. I don't remember how long I cooked the meat before I put the veggies in. Any advice out there? And how about steam vs regular pressure cook?

I have cooked corned beef sous vide before and it's good, but I have a hankering for everything cooked together this year. 

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb 

I think steam would take forever

@scubadoo97   

had an outstanding looking bowl on the dinner thread

but no details

if you can stand a 2 day SV  , cut the hunk into several smaller hunks

SV  I use the Jus in the iPot to cook the cabbage , carrots , potatoes 

and then thicken the sauce w a little wondra

the CB gets tethered in a water bath in the mea time after cooking and cooling rapidly

makes for many tasty meals

@gfweb 

I do the same

w no peer review studies 

I do 142.5

not laugh I did try the other temps ao long ago

but that works for me

I do slice the CB  into smaller Hunks

and bag individually 

in the past I rapidly chilled 

and when cold did a cold smoke on my Weber s pellets 

and rebaged

they are not ' Pasteurized' as at that point

but I understand this

some pre-cold smoking 

work very well for a St.P's dinner

the others   make a mighty fine 

CB w S  sandwich in the summer.

I've got one CB to work with .  Im happy

re-corona 

of only interest to me   massive sales are limited

pre-corona

• Like 1

@gfweb  

looking forward to your results 

and opinion

if you can chill  it rapidly 

consider cold smoking some of it 

w hard wood pellets 

in a Weber or any enclosed space 

I do 1 hour

the re-bag

and enjoy for fine sandwiches iin the future

• Like 1

ive cooked a lot of CB , SV.  chilled  possibly smoked in

the later years , re- bagged and Fz

for a full CB dinner

i used a bag of Sv CB   and re-thermed in a water bath

then I took the jus out , resealed the bag

posible w a staple  just so water got into the bag

and used the Jus in the iPot for the veg for that dinner

potatoes  , carrots , cabbage 

thickened the jus after this

bro St.P gravy

some of the veg were in the water 

the cabbage was on the top so it steamed sort of

worked very well

did this over and over w the SV CB I Fz

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kayb said:

Bumping this one up, as it's about that time of year.

I have about a 3-pound corned beef flat cut from the grocery. I recall last time I cooked one, I did so in the IP, cooking the meat first, then adding the potatoes, carrots and cabbage. I don't remember how long I cooked the meat before I put the veggies in. Any advice out there? And how about steam vs regular pressure cook?

I have cooked corned beef sous vide before and it's good, but I have a hankering for everything cooked together this year. 

Instant Pot Corned Beef Brisket

3 lb. Corned Beef Brisket
4 cups Beef Broth
1 stalk of celery, cut in two
1 half onion, sliced
Seasoning pack from corned beef

Soak brisket in water for one hour, then rinse and pat dry

Cut brisket into 3 or 4 even pieces to fit in pot
Place all ingredients in the Instant Pot in order listed above
Set on MANUAL High Pressure for 75 minutes
Natural release pressure for 20 minutes
Quick release remaining pressure

Remove celery and discard; move brisket to a baking dish and spoon on a bit of cooking liquid, cover with foil - let rest for 15 minutes

While the brisket is resting, cook the following vegetables in cooking liquid...

3 medium potatoes, peeled and chunked
3 carrots, peeled and chunked
1/2 cabbage, cored and cut into wedges

...for 5 minutes at high pressure with quick release.

Slice brisket against the grain and serve with the vegetables.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, @robirdstx. That's about what I did, except I cooked the brisket 60 minutes,  added whole peeled potatoes, carrots cut in chunks, and cabbage wedges for another 10. It's NPR-ing now.

I like my veggies soft with corned beef.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I made the decision to give the good St. Patrick's corned beef a pass this year. Both the making and the eating. I wasn't getting excited about the idea of making it this year and the quality and price of what's generally available locally at the store makes that an easy no. But I'm still gonna enjoy seeing what everybody else did. :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I am not a corned beef fan in general - give me house made pastrami which I grew up with. . However at the St Pats prices - in the crockpot and portioned out to flavor beans or greens - not a bad freezer staple. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, heidih said:

However at the St Pats prices - in the crockpot and portioned out to flavor beans or greens - not a bad freezer staple. 

Sadly, that doesn't happen here. It's more readily available, to be sure, but still at the typical $14/lb or so. Meant to make my own this year, but time did not permit.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning